It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. consumers urged to boycott 'cancer-risk' Johnson's baby shampoo

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   

U.S. consumers urged to boycott 'cancer-risk' Johnson's baby shampoo

www.dail ymail.co.uk

Two chemicals considered harmful to children are still in bottles of Johnson & Johnson's baby shampoo sold in the U.S., according to a coalition of health and environmental groups.
This is despite the shampoo being sold without the additives in other countries such as the UK. Lisa Archer, director of the Campaign for Safe Cosmetics, said: 'Johnson & Johnson clearly can make safer baby shampoo in all the markets around the world, but it's not doing it.'

(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
So the company is selling a product with known cancer causing ingredients to soak your baby in, and after this is brought to their attention they say they will 'slowly faze out the chemical'? No jackass how about you just stop. Seriously just stop. If you don't sell it in other countries, what makes you think it's ok to sell here? You obviously don't need to work on the formula...

www.dail ymail.co.uk

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
Interesting...

On a personal note, I stopped using scented shampoo/soap because I read stuff about chemicals in them soaking into our skin.. so I started using the JnJ baby shampoo thinking it was a safe alternative. :-/

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Domo1

So the company is selling a product with known cancer causing ingredients to soak your baby in, and after this is brought to their attention they say they will 'slowly faze out the chemical'? No jackass how about you just stop. Seriously just stop. If you don't sell it in other countries, what makes you think it's ok to sell here? You obviously don't need to work on the formula...

www.dail ymail.co.uk

Very good thread. I will share this information with others.

Keep up the good work.

Maybe if we keep fighting and pushing we will have slightly healthy products in the future.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:13 PM
link   
People always say the cliche "Cancer sure is commonplace these days!"

And yet they go home and drench themselves in carcinogens.

I will tell you why there is so much cancer, it is because of this and 1000 other things like it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   
Sickos.

We use Natures Gate, I can pronounce all the ingredients.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
You've been making some awfully good threads. This not only a big issue with all of the products, shampoos, soaps, dish detergents. But when the ingredients change from country to country, you know its done deliberately wherever they can legally pull it off.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

When I had my first child a few years ago, someone told me about all of the horrible chemicals in JandJ baby shampoos and other mainstream soaps and lotions. I did a little research and banned that stuff from my home. Most of everyone one I knew thought I was being frivolous and a little paranoid. Now, people are starting to understand how bad this stuff is. Parabens and petrochemicals have been shown to be carcinogens, as well as propelyne glycol. If you put it on your kids skin, they are basically eating the stuff. Some of the well intentioned older folks in my family just don't get it. They slathered their kids in Vaseline, Johnson's baby shampoo and chapstick. They think I'm a nut for not using the "cheap stuff". Well, a liter bottle of Dr Bronner's baby mild soap is 10 dollars and will last you 3-4 months (diluted) where JandJ's is around 5 dollars for a bottle that wont even last a month. For lotion, simple olive oil and coconut oil does everything lotion can do and more. Our babies deserve the best.

For anyone interested, this is a great place to get info
SkinDeep

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by outandopen
Sickos.

We use Natures Gate, I can pronounce all the ingredients.

Check out Nature's Gate with that link I posted, they have a few questionable products. (But their Tea Tree shampoo is so amazing)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by ReadyPower
Interesting...

On a personal note, I stopped using scented shampoo/soap because I read stuff about chemicals in them soaking into our skin.. so I started using the JnJ baby shampoo thinking it was a safe alternative. :-/

You should check out Dr. Bronners. It is very mild, completely natural and smells amazing.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

U.S., according to a coalition of health and environmental groups.

These groups need to get their act together, because this is the first thing ive heard being asked to boycott in a long time. I can think of a million things that cause cancer and worse that no one says anything about.
What makes one cancer causing chemical worse then another?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:10 PM
link   
There's literally no way to escape being exposed to carcinogens' and still function in society.

This, aspartame, GMOs, prescription drugs, and cell phones.

Surely the leaders of this world care about us, and will fight these corporations that poison the people.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Thanks for the information.

Burt's Bees Baby Bee is a good alternative too.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Maybe if we keep fighting and pushing we will have slightly healthy products in the future.

We can vote with our consumer dollars, and I agree that we need to spread information and keep people informed about what products they are using and eating. Lately, almost everyone I meet and talk to is mentioning things like "processed food is poison", "be careful about what sunscreen and shampoo you use" and similar things, and these are not liberal hippy types or environmentalists, but just regular people who care about themselves and their families.

Even baby shampoo is not safe, that is kind of sad, but comes as no surprise.
edit on 2-11-2011 by PacificBlue because: not sure why in italics

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

thank you for the info , i have always tried as hard as i can to avoid using these poisons by reading the ingredients of the soap that i use , specially the so called SLS (sodium lauryl sulfate)

Both Sodium Lauryl Sulfate (SLS) and its close relative Sodium Laureth Sulfate (SLES) are commonly used in many soaps, shampoos, detergents, toothpastes and other products that we expect to "foam up". Both chemicals are very effective foaming agents, chemically known as surfactants.

here is a good site that i found which could be interesting for you and others .

thanx again

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by PacificBlue

Originally posted by muzzleflash

We can vote with our consumer dollars, and I agree that we need to spread information and keep people informed about what products they are using and eating. Lately, almost everyone I meet and talk to is mentioning things like "processed food is poison", "be careful about what sunscreen and shampoo you use" and similar things, and these are not liberal hippy types or environmentalists, but just regular people who care about themselves and their families.

Even baby shampoo is not safe, that is kind of sad, but comes as no surprise.
edit on 2-11-2011 by PacificBlue because: not sure why in italics

I agree completely. We vote with our $$$.

If we stop buying a product, it will cease being profitable, and will no longer be sold at the local markets.

This is basic free market principals, supply vs demand, etc.

Very good post there! Keep up the good work PacificBlue!

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

yay, deregulated markets for the win! Capitalism, rah rah rah! Capitalism rah... rah... c'mon, everyone! Why isn't anyone else cheering?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Domo1

I honestly could swear that this very same scare happened over two decade's ago in the UK back in the early 90's, it was reported by ITN news back when Trevor McDonald was presenting.

I have tried to find it but with no success.

I remember the report came on and told anyone with a particular brand of Johnson's shampoo should pour it down the sick or bathtub as it was believed to cause cancer.

Just thought I would point this out as it is annoying the life out of me after reading this thread topic and it is pretty scary that is has taken the US around 20 years later to get this identified.

edit on 2-11-2011 by XXXN3O because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:49 AM
link   
reply to post by smileypants

I use Olive oil soap, having discovered it while on holiday in grease, it's cheaper than the scented time bombs people use,

I also us, flouride free toothpaste and ecover washing up liquids (when the hands get warm the skin allows the ingress of chemicals so that is the lesser of two evils,

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:27 AM
link   
Let me ask you.. have there been any reports that have been proven for these chemicals actually causing cancer in babies - or is this just " Hey, these chemicals can cause cancer and this baby shampoo uses it - we better get them to stop" kinda thing?

I'd be willing to bet no baby, child or adult has even been proven to have gotten cancer from this shampoo.

Babies grow up quick. They don't use this shampoo all their lives. Mothers have trusted it for over 60 years. Now in 60 years don't you think someone would have noticed a link if there was one? Don't you think this product had plenty of human trials?

I dunno.. sounds ify to me.

Perhaps we should all go out for some french fries covered with cheese and chili and talk about it.

No, wait.. cant do that.. French fries cause cancer too. They are so deadly, the poison in them is 100 times stronger than the WHO acceptable limits in drinking water. 500 times stronger in potato chips.

"I have been in this field for 30 years and I have never seen anything like this before," said Leif Busk, head of the National Food Administration's research department, of the results of the study.

Food Administration officials told a news conference they had found that an ordinary bag of potato crisps may contain up to 500 times more acrylamide than the maximum concentration the World Health Organisation (WHO) allows in drinking water.

French fries sold at Swedish franchises of the U.S. fast-food chains Burger King Corp, a unit of Britain's Diageo plc DGE.L , and McDonald's MCD.N contained about 100 times the equivalent of the WHO limit for water, they said.
curezone.com...

The chemical responsible is called acrylamide and it is formed whenever any starchy food is fried and sometimes cooked - this stuff is also found in bread, The Staple of Life - and death?

Point is chemicals are bad for you and Everything is made of chemicals. Do we stop using all chemicals because what might happen at very strong concentrations? No, that would be silly. Even water and oxygen has the potential to kill us. If we take responsibility for our own lives and use products even french fries responsibly our own bodies can and will fight anything on the inside that can cause harm. ( provided we give it the food it needs to heal us, like living foods and not Only feed it french fries.)

top topics

<<   2 >>

join