It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Netanyahu trying to persuade cabinet to support attack on Iran

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   

Netanyahu trying to persuade cabinet to support attack on Iran

www.haaretz.com

Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu and Defense Minister Ehud Barak are trying to muster a majority in the cabinet in favor of military action against Iran, a senior Israeli official has said. According to the official, there is a "small advantage" in the cabinet for the opponents of such an attack. Netanyahu did not rule out the possibility of the need for a military action on Iran this week.
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:02 PM
link   
Wow: "Netanyahu did not rule out the possibility of the need for a military action on Iran this week."

Well we've been seeing a lot of smoke regarding this situation and we "hear" of reports but this looks pretty concrete. Sounds like the uppermost part of the Israeli cabinet is seriously discussing an attack on Iran and VERY soon. It also sounds like the majority of the cabinet is not in favor of such an attack so it probably wont happen. Still interesting nonetheless and worth keeping an eye on.

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
The whole Muslim world wold overrun Israel if this happened, not surprised that the majority of the cabinet is against it. Even with US support...it would just be a suicidal move. The US can't afford another war, we're on the brink as it is.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
The pertinent question to ask is l; what are Iran saying? If you and I know about this, it will be of no breaking news to Iran who won't be sitting there patiently waiting on a decision from Israel.

I stand by my opinion that the US and Israel are trying to force Irans hand and justify a counter-attack
edit on 1/11/11 by Pirateofpsychonautics because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:27 PM
link   
I don't think you people are appreciating the significance of this. The U.S. would be fighting with Israel, and this war would not be some out of sight out of mind thing like Iraq or Afghanistan. This would greatly affect the entire country. Iran is not a push over. It would be the toughest enemy since WW2.

Not to mention this could likely cause a WW3.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Drezden
I don't think you people are appreciating the significance of this. The U.S. would be fighting with Israel, and this war would not be some out of sight out of mind thing like Iraq or Afghanistan. This would greatly affect the entire country. Iran is not a push over. It would be the toughest enemy since WW2.

Not to mention this could likely cause a WW3.

Yeah and that's exactly why it won't happen. It would be a retarded move.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Drezden

I do appreciate the significance of this, which is why I want to know what Iran are saying/doing..it isn't just the US or Israel, they're still a party with a significant role in this, one who could change the whole scenario in less than 24 hours...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Wow: "Netanyahu did not rule out the possibility of the need for a military action on Iran this week."

This really appears to be taken out of context. Is he suggesting an attack this week or that they would not rule out the possibility this week, as in extending an existing discussion to perhaps go beyond that. It's very hard to tell. It is highly unlikely that even a deranged mouthpiece and blowhard like netanyahu would state publicly any military intentions. Plus, and I'm far from a military strategist, I would expect the US would have several aircraft carriers within very close distance as per an old quote from Clinton. "When word of crisis breaks out in Washington, it's no accident the first question that comes to everyone's lips is; where is the nearest carrier".

brill

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   
if this does happen, it won't be a conventional attack.
I can't see Israel wanting to get into a long, drawn-out war with a nation so far from its own borders. Look for nuclear attacks on Iran and Syria.

Biblical prophecy suggests the razing of Damascus... interesting that the IAEA have recently uncovered further nuclear sites in Syria.

...it's all coming to a head.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:56 PM
link   
Maybe Netanyahu should lead Israel's armies front line into Iran if he's so gung ho to go to war with Iran. I have no mercy for people who want to wage war.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:05 PM
link   
stumbled on to this looking for arms sales to Iran stats. Thought it was interesting. It's from Dec 2010, but still.
www.nytimes.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
reply to post by princeofpeace

This is just plain goofy. The Israeli government is leaking like the titanic, which I have never seen before, especially to the extent of leaking attack information. I wonder if this is an attempt to get IRan to comply if they think an attack might be imminent on them.

The old game of who is going to blink first.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Who knows? Im not saying i agree-i just posted the news. Maybe Israel thinks if they publicly talk about attacking then Iran will think they are bluffing (obviously) but then they actually do it anyway? You just never know. Thats the result of ALL of us hearing about imminent attacks for the last 10 years. When it finally happens nobody will really know....

Originally posted by Xcathdra

This is just plain goofy. The Israeli government is leaking like the titanic, which I have never seen before, especially to the extent of leaking attack information. I wonder if this is an attempt to get IRan to comply if they think an attack might be imminent on them.

The old game of who is going to blink first.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:16 PM
link   

Just what the planet doesn't need right now. A crazy Israel starting more crap for the US to get involved in. Leave Iran alone. If the US military is dumb enough to allow Obama blood lust to take them into another war there is no hope for anyone.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
This game of chicken looks to be winding down? With the game of chicken someone is bound to blink. Who will it be? The world economy is in dire straights, Greece is about to fall off a cliff bringing the EU with it, Islamist governments are forming around the ME, protests across the globe, and vast mistrust and disdain toward central governments, and now the crescendo which will be another big war. This is not going to be a cake walk, and practically every military assessment I have seen has it spelled out.

All Iran has to do is shutdown the straight of Hormuz and this thing gets ugly fast. The price of oil will skyrocket. They could activate the large secret army of sleeper cells they have scattered around the globe to carry out mass casualty attacks. Iran has been preparing for this for the last decade or so. It appears they have a decent conventional Army and defense network as well.

Israel is taking a big gamble if they decide to go about this unilaterally and with preemptive strike. Their past conflicts have all be in and around their neighborhood, but this one will be in a region far removed from Israel. They will need US support to do the leg work on this one, and at present Israel does not have a definite decision by the US. Perhaps, they think by bombing Iran's nuclear sites it will inflame them to attack the US given their long held support of Israel?

Will the US respond with military action if attacked by Iran as response to an Israeli airstrike? Chances are they will respond first and ask questions later. What does Russia and China think about this as a result of their close military and economic relationships with Iran? What will they do? Just a few days I recall seeing a story on here about Israel retrofitting their nuclear arsenal with a intercontinental delivery system instead of the long believed regional capability of its nuclear deterrent. Maybe that announcement has something to do with Russia and China getting involved with this?

This little soap opera is going to hell quite quickly, and I hope for Israel's sake they have their ducks in row before going about this alone. This could be the spark that ignites the inferno? Still, this seems to be nothing more than a preliminary discussion on the military option, and I don't believe anything is set in stone. The Israeli government has had talks about this time and time again with nothing happening. It could be another attempt at saber rattling too? Ratcheting up the fear and paranoia by Iran to do something rash, and opening up the opportunity for a military response by their opposition. Lets hope this war of words and rhetoric does not go hot. It could be very well go from being conventional war into a nuclear one over night?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:40 PM
link   

Sorry man, I wasnt attacking you. Just commenting on the article and info in it. Israel is usually very good about keeping their secrets, well, secret. Leaking info about a possible attack on Iran is -

* - Out of the norm
* - Tips the Iranians off, which loses the tactical surprise since Iran is now looking in that direction
* - Allow countries along the route the jets must fly to beef up radar / SAM / air patrols
* - Would draw more international attention that if it were kept secret.

and, to play devils advocate, allows Iran and any countries airpsce that Israel must fly through the ability to launch a preemptive strike on Israel, using the Israeli explanation of self defense during the 6 day war.

It just seems goofy and out of place. Almost like they are baiting and hoing for an attack as an excuse to attack in self defense.

At one point Iran had moved a large bulk of its fuel to one site, which was above ground. The theorys put forth was Iran was baiting Israel to attack the site. No one could figure out why Iran would place that much of an investment into an aove ground storage area, essentially putting almost all of their eggs in one basket.

This has moved from reality to a screwed up version of Clue.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:58 PM
link   
I really think this is a last cry for attention on Israels part. My guess is the Iranians are reading these reports and thinking yeah right.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
I really think this is a last cry for attention on Israels part. My guess is the Iranians are reading these reports and thinking yeah right.

I really dont think Arab government should underestimate the Israel military.

If we delve into history we can see that tactic by arab governments didnt exactly work in their favor.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
reply to post by goldcoin

Yeah and that's exactly why it won't happen. It would be a retarded move.

Israel crazy leaders care for one thing and that is only their little person. They don't care what will end up happening to troops in Afghanistan and Iraq, they only care about their own little delusions about how Iran is the big bad enemy as evil as Hitler...

They are ready for the loonie bin and seriously they should be arrested and put there for the rest of their natural lives.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:18 PM
link   
Someone mentioned in one of the European Economy Crisis threads, that considering the lousy decisions that European leaders have been making recently, it's almost like they are waiting for something...

This is what they are waiting for.

If Western governments can somehow create the modern equivalent of a WW2 scenario, then from the point of view of having to deal with the current mess, all bets are off.

They've done it before, 60+ years ago... they are nothing if not predictable.

Personally I'm just hoping that when governments pronounce, "Right sheep, off to war you go!" ... they get a big fat middle finger from their respective populations.

They are waiting for a catalyst ... my guess it's this one!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join