It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Oh Brother they are watching

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:59 AM
link   
The bigger issue here is the cable company monitoring what sites a subscriber may visit.

They shouldn't be able to act on a misuse charge unless there is a complaint by someone. The fact that going to the site triggered this is a direct violation of privacy, and the poster could even have a civil liberties lawsuit on their hands, if it wasn't a site with illegal content.

As others have said though, the best way to send the message is to simply change providers.
Enough people do that, and these companies will rethink their policies.

Of course, there is always the public library...
No, wait, I didn't mean to imply that you could do illegal internet activity and not be traced by using the public library...that is not what I am saying at all.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:18 AM
link   
reply to post by k21968

I would file a written complaint to the FCC. If you want to "get around" this thing, install and run a Linux distro, and run Firefox with an HTTP proxy. Set your I-Tables firewall to ultimate security. If you run Windows, and Internet Explorer, they can see what you do, where your surf to. By Default Windows saves all history, and saves all HTML cookies. Any webpage can read an HTML cookie on your computer. I use Time Warner, they do not know what I do, and do not seem to care, either.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Gazrok

Do you think it would be reasonable for a provider to simply block access entirely to sites used by criminals for criminal activity?

I've been a victim of Piracy myself. Nearly two weeks of work out the window and now on the cover of a Novel published in another country for which I got no pay. The Webmaster of a site for a syndicated radio program was the culprit. Nothing I could do when this happened to me in 1990. Same as stealing a couple of thousand dollars from me. No difference at all.

It's reasonable and just for people who produce everything from art to music to literature to want their hard work protected from the crooks who use torrents to steal is it not? It is no different from stealing anything else is it?

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555

It is not for a provider to block sites. A provider should do nothing more than provide a connection via its own secure network. If we expect ISP's to be The Police then that is not the way to go. Would you expect the manufacturer of your car to limit where you may drive with it? Or perhaps a telecom provider who dictates where and whom you may call?

Just my 2 cents

top topics

<< 1   >>

join