It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Quebec cop-shooting of cattle triggers international sympathy, anger

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Quebec cop-shooting of cattle triggers international sympathy, anger

ca.news.yahoo.com

GATINEAU, Que. - Two dead Canadian cattle, bovines brought down by a barrage of police bullets, are attracting a wave of international sympathy in the wake of their violent demise.

Supporters from around the world have expressed outrage in online forums like YouTube and the website of a British newspaper.

More than 157,000 people have seen the YouTube video of their killing by police officers last week in Gatineau, Que., with thousands more clicking by the hour. A story Monday on the website of Britain's Daily Mail was titled: Don't Moooove, or I'll Shoot!
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   
This is pretty sick that the police officers would actually do something like that even though the cows were going to a slaughterhouse, they pretty much mishandled the situation.

It happened a few years ago close to Toronto, and the police there managed to catch the cows, on Canada's busiest highway.

ca.news.yahoo.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
Not sure about Canada's animal cruelty laws, but here in the USA, if someone did this they would be sitting in the county jail for a felony animal cruelty charge..

Someone may be able to use a gun in the killing of a food animal, but not a hail of gunfire shooting one, that would be considered animal cruelty for certain...

Odd how the world is seeing so many abuses of authority, I mean, it is really out of control...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:33 PM
link   
Having had the misfortune of just watching the video, it's horrible to see an animal suffer like that.

Regardless of whether it's just a wild cow, it still doesn't deserve to be shot in it's legs and torso.... if they wanted it dead, they should have got a vet or aimed for the head. Disgusting.

Some really sick people in this world.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Animal slaughter houses are extremely cruel as well. Have you ever seen what happens in a slaughter house? I personally would rather be shot in the street than put through the horrid conditions and hearing my fellow cows scream to their death in a slaughter house. These cows were lucky really when you think about it. Any one that has a gun that uses it for anything like this situation is just a backwards hick anyways. Guns should only be used as self defence. Cops scared of a little live cow are they? Nah... they would prefer them tortured in a slaughter house then put on their fat greasy plate.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by tanser

Having had the misfortune of just watching the video, it's horrible to see an animal suffer like that. Regardless of whether it's just a wild cow, it still doesn't deserve to be shot in it's legs and torso.

Cows are living things too. So are the pigs and bulls and chicken we castrate or simply toss in to a blender as soon as they are born.

The point is, you either care about animal suffering or not. If this story bothers you so much you feel the need to express your outrage, then you shouldn't be eating any meat you get from a store.

By being a consumer animals are being tortured for you. You are a part of the process.

So either care about this cow and be outraged about it, but dont pretend its any different from the process that is the meat industry.

Some really sick people in this world.

Ah, yes, aren't we all?
edit on 1-11-2011 by TsukiLunar because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
true, we have animal cruelty laws here in Canada as well, but I am sure they will get in a fair bit of trouble with what they did, usually they just try to catch the cows

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:19 PM
link   
having cattle running through the streets poses a risk to the public.

if law enforcement has no other option (in time) the question for public safety has a higher value than the life of cows. This sort of decision is made more than 100 times a day, worldwide.

on the other hand, you as a taxpayer would not understand why your local cops would need money to visit a training course in how to safely calm down cattle.

every police unit being confronted with that acts different, and no wonder.
cops are confronted with a zillion of different situations each and every day, and while some people start crying about some dead cows, the latest drunk driver they did not stop runs into a group of people.

so where would you like to draw the line about importance ?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:57 PM
link   
Didnt they have any rope?

I thought you canadians were a peaceful lot?

I mean.. RC Mounted Police, I know they have horses.. you'd think there would be a cowboy somewhere in the mix.

I couldn't resist.

Why do cops everywhere feel the need to empty their clips?
They do it here in the US too.. they unload when they draw.
10 shots from a service weapon to drop a cow?
Do cops ever spend time at the range?

It's a cow. get close, AIM at the side of the head, and pull the trigger.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by BadNinja68
Didnt they have any rope?

I thought you canadians were a peaceful lot?

I mean.. RC Mounted Police, I know they have horses.. you'd think there would be a cowboy somewhere in the mix.

I couldn't resist.

Well, that's what I thought they should have done. It didn't look like a busy area for traffic, maybe it was, but they could have slowed down the traffic, and made them aware that there were cows about. It was NOT a dangerous situation.

I lived in a small town a couple of years ago that had a loose cow, no one tried to shoot it, but every cop in town was trying to corner it. They eventually got it roped. It took a couple of hours, but that's what they should have done. These were not bulls, therefore there was minimal danger.
Cows are friendly.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:20 PM
link   
post eating meat then complain

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:27 PM
link   
reply to post by BadNinja68

No they don\'t spend time at the range neither the gym.
99% of them are just arrogant douche who got bullied back in the days.
Pigs shooting cows literally.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:29 PM
link   
reply to post by hypr2011

I hear a lot of old balderdash about how it is that not one police officer, and not one person responsible for the transportation of these animals , had access to a tranquiliser dart gun. To transport ANY livestock without access to such a device , or the training to herd livestock without one, is absolutely ridiculous.

You dont see that happening anywhere else in the developed world! If that happened either here in the UK or in the US, the animal would have been bought down with a tranq dart, and lifted via a sling and crane into a position where it could be swung back into the transport, or at least penned in somewhere that it couldnt hurt itself.

All the excuse making is utter rot. Fact, cops shot animal MANY times, causing it undue distress, when it posed no more risk to human life, than would any large animal loose in a neighborhood. Honestly...popping a cap in every ass is not something I expect from somewhere north of the US /Canada border. Should know better than that.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
It's a lot harder to hit a human in a force on force situation.

Considering how poorly they fared against a gigantic cow I'm guessing these cops dont get much practice.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:40 PM
link   
WTF? A man was killed down here in Atlanta by a police officer. All witnesses say he was unarmed. Shot TWICE in the BACK... International sympathy or anger then? naaa...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:41 PM
link   
Not to mention that this is how most of the cattle on your mcdonalds, wendy's, and burger king burgers die anyway... a wayward gunshot and then the bleed out.. come the hell on. Only PETA and vegetarians can be mad at this..

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:44 PM
link   
reply to post by My.mind.is.mine

Make a thread about it did you? Anyone in the area insist on the local media making a deal out of it? No? Its public interest that spawns data absorbtion outside of its initial area of influence. If you want international condemnation of a terrible activity, or comendation of genius or goodness, then you have to make a noise, someone has to make a noise.

It just so happens that animal welfare has more vocal advocates than people do. People who care about people shake thier heads and mourn the dead with dignity, in peace. That is why no one is screaming about it in the international media. Personally I would hear more on it, if you have the information to hand.Please, post a thread and send me a link!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:01 PM
link   
Well, using guns people will say cruelty, using tazers, same deal, and there been issues here with police using tazers on kids in group homes here as well, I would post every story here if I could but some go into social issues and civil unrest as well.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   
From the article:

Gatineau police have defended their actions, saying the animals posed a risk to the public and there was no choice but to shoot.

"They determined the bull was really aggressive and he was a threat for the population," said Const. Pierre Lanthier, a police spokesman.

"They tried to bring the animal back into the trailer with the help of the owner but it was impossible."

Police said the animals rushed at police cruisers on a couple of occasions and, as they neared an elementary school, the cattle owner had given police permission to shoot.

Damn those evil cops

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join