It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

RNC Protest arrests top 1,700 and counting..

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:49 PM
link   
In an effort to get as many sides of the protests as possible, I put this thread together linking to several websites of all sides.

NEW YORK (CNN) -- More than 1,100 people were arrested Tuesday in protests across New York, including about 200 demonstrators near Ground Zero, police officials said.

Police said that 1,187 people were arrested Tuesday in protests surrounding the Republican National Convention. Many were part of a demonstration by the War Resisters League near Ground Zero, where the twin towers of the World Trade Center once stood.

www.cnn.com...

There was a melee outside the New York Public Library when cops stopped two women from unfurling a banner over one of the lions. Scores of protesters were netted near Ground Zero and more were bottled up in Union Square.

But cops' biggest confrontation came when dozens opposed to President Bush and the Iraq war defiantly stepped off the curb in Herald Square around dusk and staged a "die-in," blocks from the GOP fest at Madison Square Garden.

Cops on mountain bikes swooped down on the demonstrators there and farther south, at Broadway and 28th St., where more protesters staged yet a second die-in.

Some of the rebels chained themselves together in Herald Square and chanted, "Whose streets? Our streets!"

Cops ordered the surging crowd back while thugs set garbage fires. "The NYPD needs to learn the First Amendment," Mike Johns, 26, of Brooklyn, yelled when a cop shoved him.

"Shut up!" the cop barked.

A Republican delegate wearing a Stars-and-Stripes top hat emerged from Macy's with horror etched on her face. "Omigod, how do I get to the Garden?" she asked an officer.

"Good luck, lady," he replied.

The hapless woman fled as demonstrators jeered, "Go back to Kansas!"

Nearby, a hooded protester tried to rush onto the outdoor stage used by MSNBC while Chris Matthews hosted "Hardball." But cops tackled him and the show went on.

Meanwhile, cops chased the fleeing hooligans and herded them into side streets along Fifth and Sixth Aves., where they were captured by other officers.

Police also liberated a busload of Louisiana delegates, whose path to the Garden was blocked by demonstrators.

"You break the law, you're going to find yourself arrested," warned Mayor Bloomberg, who closely monitored the mayhem.

For much of yesterday, a coalition of groups called A31 - for Aug. 31 - played cat and mouse with cops, using text messages to plot their next move.

They weren't aiming for a massive show of protest, like Sunday's peaceful march. They were aiming to cause havoc.

Downtown, 500 protesters set off from north of Ground Zero to stage a die-in by the Garden. But cops stopped them just as they got started.

"You're all under arrest!" a lieutenant yelled as cops used plastic orange netting to snare confused protesters.

"Let us disperse!" the protesters cried. When that didn't work, two women took off their tops and began chanting, "Cops deserve a raise!"

That did not sway police.

At the Fox News Channel studios in midtown, police penned 1,000 demonstrators staging a "shut-up-athon" against the network. "Fox lies, people die," they chanted.

It was all a little too much for Wisconsin delegate Karen Church, who was confronted by demonstrators demanding, "Who would Jesus bomb?"

Outside the Sotheby's auction house, 100 black-clad demonstrators picketed the Tennessee delegation, members of which were bidding on the Johnny Cash estate.

"It's totally wrong for the Republicans to use Johnny Cash for their little party," said Brandon Jourdan, 25, of Manhattan. "I grew up in North Carolina and listened to his songs for the poor and beaten-down. The Republicans are the ones doing the beating down."

www.nydailynews.com...

The demonstrations grew demonic at the Republican National Convention yesterday as protesters set fire to a traffic light, tipped over a fruit cart, tossed around garbage cans, attacked a journalist and spit on Republican conventioneers in a wave of mayhem across Manhattan.

Police said more 1000 people had been arrested by 11 p.m., but that number continued growing as the NYPD rounded up activists gathering at the New York Public Library, Herald Square, Union Square, Madison Avenue and elsewhere.

At least 16 arrests involved assaults on cops, Police Commissioner Ray Kelly said.

The huge number of arrests did not humble those behind the anti-Bush outbursts.

www.nypost.com...

Nearly 1,000 people were arrested in New York City on Tuesday for taking part in protests against President Bush, the Republican National Convention and even FOX News.

Police said more than 970 people were arrested on the convention's second day, triple the amount of people busted on Sunday when more than 120,000 people staged a march through midtown Manhattan. Since the weekend, about 1,300 people have been taken into custody in convention-related protest activity.

One of those arrested late Tuesday at a demonstration was a 19-year-old man who was seen on a videotape assaulting a detective a day earlier, police said.

On Tuesday, protests took part throughout the day and into the evening around the city and at Madison Square Garden

While protesters at the Democratic National Convention (search) in Boston were largely complimentary of the police, the story was much more mixed in New York. Both sides were wary of one another, and police and protesters videotaped the rallies, capturing protesters' faces and cops' faces and badge numbers.

Spark was very critical of the police, saying that they had been extremely aggressive at other demonstrations, riding motorcycles through the crowd, being unnecessarily physical and even assaulting the protesters. He displayed a bruise on his arm that he said was a wound from an earlier protest. On his arm was scrawled the number of a legal aid group in case of arrest.

www.foxnews.com...

NEW YORK � After the oppressive humidity and snail-paced crowds of Sunday's massive anti-Bush demonstrations, hundreds of protesters bounced back on Tuesday for a "side project" � a Midtown protest outside the offices of FOX News Channel.

Cops clad in riot gear worked to keep the demonstrators from blocking traffic or entering FNC's headquarters near Rockefeller Center, but navigating the crowd that filled the sidewalk and a barricaded strip of street was tricky.

Among those present were members of United for Peace and Justice (search), an umbrella organization for hundreds of anti-Iraq war groups that also helmed Sunday's march in New York City. Code Pink (search), a group comprised mostly of women, also sponsored the rally.

The animal-rights organization People for the Ethical Treatment of Animals (search) even sent as its representative a walking root vegetable named Chris P. Carrot. Mr. Carrot's campaign manager assured FOXNews.com that he was there only to encourage the protesters to stop eating meat.

Other humorous costumes were on hand, but the event was no candlelight vigil. Demonstrators displayed a fondness for graphic wordplay on the company's name and for shooting their middle fingers in the air.

The protesters screamed in unison "FOX News lies" and held up signs that read "The more you watch the less you know." A FOX News spokeswoman responded: "This country is built on free speech � they're entitled to protest."

Dubbed the "Shut-Up-A-Thon," the protest was an homage of sorts to FOX News host Bill O'Reilly, who has been accused of being quick to tell guests to "shut up."

Jeremy Glick (search), the son of Sept. 11, 2001, terror attack victim Barry Glick, a Port Authority Treasury risk manager, is probably the most famous recipient of O'Reilly's request. But Glick, a member of United for Peace and Justice, was one of the least belligerent protesters to speak to FOXNews.com.

Glick said he considers FOX News "an annex of the Republican Party," but he conceded that the disrespect he perceived as a guest on "The O'Reilly Factor" was far from widespread on the network.

He also said that his complaints about FOX News applied to other TV news networks.

"Corporate media has to be overhauled and decentralized and made accountable to local communities," Glick said, before calling FOX News "particularly reprehensible."

Asked why he and his fellow protesters didn't take the party up the street to other nearby networks' headquarters, he laughed, "Sure! I'm all about spreading the love."

The anti-FOX News protest lasted for about 90 minutes before most of the participants headed downtown toward Madison Square Garden, site of the Republican National Convention.

www.foxnews.com...

Post-action Check-in: Sept 1 @ 12am St. Mark's Church in the Bowery (NW corner of 2nd Ave & 10th St)

Next Steps for anti-RNC activity: Sept 1 @ 12pm Spoke House (directions)

Post-convention Debrief & Next Steps: Sept 3 @ 12pm--St. Mark's Church in the Bowery (NW corner of 2nd Ave & 10th St)

www.a31.org...

And last but not least, not all protestors are bad protestors...

[edit on 1-9-2004 by p1]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
How many arrests were recorded in Boston? seems to me this just shows which party is the party of hate and which one is the party of tolerance. Democrats are proving that while they have the right to free speech, they will do anything to disrupt the RNC.

p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:02 PM
link   
Edited: I posted the wrong story from a former DNC rally in LA.. When it was pointed out to me, I researched the DNC-Boston rally and found a new story

Total number of protest-related arrests so far this week: One.

www.boston.com...

Below info was posted by mistake, has no relation to the thread:
I poked around and the only number of arrests I could find for the DNC was:

The Department succeeded in its goals, priorities and objectives. Despite numerous protests, only 194 arrests were made (59 of those for felonies, the rest for Misdemeanors). There were no serious injuries to protesters, police, or guests of the City. Six law enforcement officers sustained minor injuries, and a police horse, Dakota, suffered a laceration as the result of a protester's assault.

www.lapdonline.org...

[edit on 1-9-2004 by p1]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:07 PM
link   
p1, Thanks for the info. What a difference. I know that Republicans are just as adament in thier dis-like of Kerry, but yet only 194 arrests. I guess this just illustrated my point.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:08 PM
link   
This is amazing! The protest are starting to make national news. I thought major networks would keep quiet about the issue and just report on how well the RNC went. It seems the word is spreading. I wonder what people across the country are wondering. Is it really turning into a police state in New York or is just that protestors are breaking the law?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I vote on protestors breaking the law.

p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:11 PM
link   
I will however note, to try to remain unbias in all of this..

The DNC was basically on 'lock down'.. they had the caged in protest zones and whatnot... maybe that helped curb the protests to some point..

A federal judge yesterday refused to order the city to tear down a caged zone for anti-DNC protesters, citing radicals known to attack using urine-filled squirt guns and slingshots.
U.S. District Court Judge Douglas P. Woodlock called the barbed-wire pen ``an affront to free expression'' and ``irrefutably sad'' but necessary because of protesters' antics in New York and Los Angeles.
The judge met behind closed doors yesterday with Secret Service agents about threats to DNC delegates at the FleetCenter.
``The federal government does have some specific information about incidents that may occur,'' Assistant U.S. Attorney George Henderson told the court.
The government refused to describe the threats publicly.
Members of an umbrella protester group called the Black Tea Society, who sued the city over the ``Free Speech Zone,'' vowed to boycott the space and protest in small groups around the FleetCenter.
``You walk into the zone, you might as well be going into a jail,'' said organizer Tonya Vamont of Boston.
``I'm a Democrat, not a terrorist,'' said one woman who plans to protest her party's policies.

news.bostonherald.com...
www.melbourne.indymedia.org...

[edit on 1-9-2004 by p1]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:14 PM
link   
mrmulder,

That is exactly what I was thinking, finally the protest are too great to keep them away from the rest of the nation awareness.

It seems that it is more dissatisfy costumers of the Republican Party than the Democratic one.

p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
I beg to differ.. in my opinion, I dont think the protests have much to do about the current party holding the convention.

New York, the biggest city in the US, is suffering from all the illments of America. All brought on, by not just Bush, but from Clinton as well (think NAFTA).

People are upset at our government. The goverment no longer listens or rather cares about its citizens. So if you want to protest, you wont protest the next guy that wants to screw us more, you'll protest the guy in office hoping the government hears you.

The NYC protests are more then just RNC protests, they're nationwide displeasure protests.

The unemployment rate for the New York-Northern New Jersey-Long Island
Consolidated Metropolitan Statistical Area1 dropped to 5.5 percent in June,
down 0.7 percentage point from a year ago, and not much different from the
5.8 percent rate for the nation, the Bureau of Labor Statistics of the U.S.
Department of Labor reported today. (See table 1.)

stats.bls.gov...

[edit on 1-9-2004 by p1]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:19 PM
link   
Some of the arrests are warranted. Some aren't.

But I understand the cops jobs. One guy takes his foot off the sidewalk and touches the pavement (so they arrest him...it's called zero tolerance), then when 2 step out to talk to the cops asking, please don't do this...what did he do? They get arrested. Then 5 more, then 10 more, etc. Eventually it gets ugly, and then the crowd reaction "justifies" the police action in the first place (though it actually provoked the turmoil and disruption...the purpose of 'zero" tolerance laws...no mercy).

I mean if 10,000 cops didn't arrest a couple thousand people a day, they'd be pretty worthless.

I'd give anything to be there right now, including my freedom. My vote hasn't counted in my lifetime (red state), and most peoples didn't in 2000. This is the only chance some have to say anything, before Bush get's 527's banned.

I'd like to be on a nice mardi gras float when they arrest me. Wearing a Dick Cheney mask and Santa Claus suit, riding a giant pink pig named Halliburton tossing pennies at the crowd yelling here's your tax breaks idiots and flipping off the protesters in true Cheney FU compassion.

I'd also like to get shot in the head by an angry RNC/NRA delegate over it while the cops take me in. That would make my day. But alas, tis only a dream.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by jrsdls
p1, Thanks for the info. What a difference. I know that Republicans are just as adament in thier dis-like of Kerry, but yet only 194 arrests. I guess this just illustrated my point.

Yes, a statement by the LAPD YESTERDAY definitely illustrates your point, but not reality about the NYC arrests.

If you turn on C-SPAN you can watch 194 or more being arrested at once.

p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:23 PM
link   

I'd like to be on a nice mardi gras float when they arrest me. Wearing a Dick Cheney mask and Santa Claus suit, riding a giant pink pig named Halliburton tossing pennies ot the crowd yelling here's your tax breaks idiots and flipping off the protesters in true Cheney FU compassion.

I havent laughed that hard in a long time
Thanks!

p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Yes, a statement by the LAPD YESTERDAY definitely illustrates your point, but not reality about the NYC arrests.

If you turn on C-SPAN you can watch 194 or more being arrested at once.

I agree, the arrests in Boston versus the arrests in NYC are pale in comparison. The cops in Boston had alot more in their favor. The cages, the massive security and the whole general layout of the area made it hard for unruly protests (I was there).

NYC is a big city, and the RNC is smack dab in the middle of it. Not to mention all the large corporations in downtown, the vastness of the streets and locations for protests, and the smack-in-the-face about the Madison Garden protests.

But, the zero tolerance is understandable to a point, but like you said, seeing 194 people arrested in one incident is a little bold.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:50 PM
link   
Re-reading it. I think you posted the LAPD link thinking it was about Boston, I read it as something yesterday about NY, but in reality it was about LA in 2000.

Man.

I'm way off my game.

p1

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Re-reading it. I think you posted the LAPD link thinking it was about Boston, I read it as something yesterday about NY, but in reality it was about LA in 2000.

Man.

I'm way off my game.

Erm.. wow.. you're right
I posted the wrong stuff.. I'll go edit it when I find a new link.. thanks for pointing that out!!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:52 PM
link   
Hmmmm, wonder, why the zero tolerance? Why the "protest zones"? Why the hell are the people following such bs? "Protest Zones" are like "Dieing Zones". You can't die there, you have to go here, about 10 miles away to die, if you died there it would make the republicans look bad.

But glad to see they making it on tv some. Would love to see the protesters invade the convention during some big speech. Think about it! Right now only ones in the convention are the ones who signed the loyalty oath to Bush that makes you praise Bush and clap whenever he sneezes or blinks.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:58 PM
link   
I would like to take a moment to thank the NYPD for cleaning up the streets. Keep those arrests coming.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:36 PM
link   
bush and the secret service enjoy trying to keep protesters far away. i do not condone the violence that is happening in some instances, but protesting against something is our right. you didn't see as many protests in boston because the dems are not in power. the people are protesting against thoses in power-bush and his big business pals- who have brought the american people to this terrible time in our history. the war aside, more people are angry over the economy/jobs, the environment, and the education system, also s.s. those are the issues we are hearing about, although the war is up there too.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:00 PM
link   
i heard cops are not kind at all in NY

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:49 AM
link   
i heard cops are not kind at all in NY

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join