It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Daaaaawg I have lost my job.......!!!

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kostas
reply to post by nineix

Hey I like the uninsurance idea that's good ALTHOUGH HOW NEGATIVE IS THAT COMMENT! All my options will change etc! I don't plan on being unemployed that long! I'll think of something!!!! Jeeeeeez lol! One guy on here messaged me suggesting TFL Username - wise or wiser? Teaching English abroad! I am seriously considering that!

My wife didn’t plan on being out of work that long either, but two years later she was still looking, either being over qualified and thus unemployable, or she was not experienced enough, and companies aren’t willing to hire those they have to spend time and money training. We ended up having to move out of state, and she had to settle on a job, making a fraction of what she used to earn.
Hopefully you’ll find work soon, and work with adequate pay. In the meanwhile; don’t fret using your unemployment benefits. That’s what you pay into them for.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by Kostas
reply to post by nineix

Hey I like the uninsurance idea that's good ALTHOUGH HOW NEGATIVE IS THAT COMMENT! All my options will change etc! I don't plan on being unemployed that long!

No one plans on being unemployed, especially for any length of time. I have never had a problem with a job in my life until I moved to Michigan. The economy here set the standard for unemployment because it was all built around one industry. When that industry started to falter, there were a flood of people for limited positions. I lost my job a couple years ago and it took me over a year and a half to finally get work. The longest I ever spent out of work before that was about a month or two, but with adequate enough money to get me by.

Your priorities change when you are unemployed, this is true. The little things you take for granted when you had money (like taco bell once a week, or starbucks, etc. etc. seem wasteful. You begin to trim down some of your wasteful habits that seemed perfectly normal to you just a few short weeks ago. You realize that once you do that you are actually saving a ton of money that can be used for the things you always wanted or needed to do but never seemed to have the money to do. (like tires for your car)

Unemployment isn't a bad thing, neither is filing, it's what you do with it that is important. If you sit back and take advantage, then you will burn through all of your money and being spending money put in by other taxpayers, and that is where people get upset. Some people live on unemployment only by working as long as necessary to file again.

I'm sure you're a stand up guy, so it shouldn't suprise you that more people will be sympathetic to your situation because they are or were probably in that very situation. We never plan to be unemployed, but checking your local employment agency is a good start. They usually have quick turn work on a limited basis with potential hire in all while making just enough to stay on unemployment until you finally get hired into a full time position.

That's what I had to do, and when it comes down to it, all that you really need is clothes, food and roof over your head, everything else is expendable.

King

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   
I love Aloe Bacc, great choice! Sorry to hear about your situation

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:25 AM
link   
Good luck, darling.
I lost my job a year ago and just NOW finally am starting a job in 2 weeks. :/
most people I know who have lost their jobs took about an average of a year to 18 months before finding work. It's not that easy to get work the next day or next week. I hope you will. Gods I hope you will. It's hard having to get on food stamps and such...... I got to the point i had to sell my stuff to make ends meet and keep my home.

You'll do what you gotta do but DO NOT GIVE UP. Don't do anything bad to make ends meet. Trust me, when you fall on your face, you get back up and keep going. take an hour or day to grovel but don't you DARE stay down, hear me? Cuz trust me, when you are at the very end of your rope, THAT is when things will start to rise up again. So never ever ever give up. Sometimes ya gotta ask for help. Food pantry, help from a friend, neighbor, family, places which help the poor and down and out..... sometimes pride has to be swallowed to survive - but survive you will and you'l come out of this experience with a new look at life.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
I must add, I'm 38 years old, single mother, USA. And yes, part of our paychecks of the money we earn is taken out every paycheck and put aside for unemployment so that we can have that money in case we get out of work so we are not broke and have zero dollars/pounds to our names.

It is a life saver, we use our own earned money put in to it. If I make 500 dollars/pounds a week, I will bring home 400 because some is regular taxes and the rest is for unemployment. Every single job ever automatically takes some of your pay out before you get your paycheck for unemployment.

It's not a 'beggars hand out' when it's your own money they've saved for you out of every single one of your earned checks from each and every job you've ever worked
I believe once you use up all that you have saved, then your unemployment stops. Each worker has whatever they've put in to use. If someone works for 1 year and makes say 18,000 dollars, maybe 3000 of that is unemployment. So if you work 10 years, you have all that to live off of.

I'd be shocked if they don't have that system set up in the UK. I could see why you'd not want to use it if it's taken out of every one else's pockets.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Kostas

The next dilemma is do I claim of the state?! I will use every last penny I have before I do that but until then all I can do is pray something will come up...?!

Dude, assuming you mean unemployment, CLAIM IT NOW!
You've been paying into it all this time, it shouldn't feel like charity...this is what it is FOR!

It's to help you get back on your feet while you look!

Supplement it with anything else you can do for cash. I did cakes, drawings, and art while collecting during the few months it took to land another job. Use the tools available to you. Don't let false pride keep you from putting food on the table or keeping the lights on.

One other thing...extreme couponing. This is hard to do when working, since the main investment is time, but when unemployed, I used the hell out of coupons. Learn how, and you will stretch the little money you have coming in.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join