It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What was Cloverfield?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   
I like the film and thought it was an interesting update on the Godzilla films, but it annoys me that I never found out what it was?

Was it from our ocean? Was it the thing that dropped into the ocean? Why wouldn’t it die!! Was it a baby?

Any opinions on this?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
It was a giant creature that was either hibernating in the meteor that crashed into the ocean, or it was hibernating in the ocean and was awoken by the meteor.

If it was from space or the deep ocean, I guess that could explain why it's skin/shell was so tough.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
reply to post by mandroids

Didn't watch closely enough. there is a scene in the movie where characters are on a ferris wheel or so0me amusement park ride, you can see the monster fall from the sky into the bay during that scene, meaning it came from space.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
I see. so it was FROM space?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:40 AM
link   

Taken from the wiki:
Species Unknown amphibous species
Height 350 feet
Weight 5,806.04 metric tons
Length 1,200 feet
Abilities Has extremely thick skin, which is heat-resistant and enables it to thrive in extremely high pressure environments, as well as cope under heavy fire from human weaponry, great physical strength.
Origins Undersea life form.

The monster came from the Atlantic Ocean, where it was awakened by Tagruato submarines sent down from Chuai Station to investigate. The monster rampages throughout Manhattan, destroying the city in its path.

The monster is a deep-sea creature with an unknown evolutionary history. The species apparently has a very long life-span, as the creature is still an infant during the events of the film, regardless of being alive for thousands of years. It grew to its massive size through consuming large amounts of Seabed's Nectar, a natural steroid-like substance which is very addictive and causes increased cell division and growth, and is used by Tagruato's subsidiary company, "Slusho!", for use as their secret ingredient in their frozen drink of the same name. At some point afterwords, the monster went into a sort of hibernation.

The monster was first discovered by one of Tagruato's marine biologists, Kazui Ichigawa. Tagruato later stole his laptop and files and killed him and his family while they were on vacation in Daisetsu-San National Park, covering the assassination up as the result of a gas explosion in their trailer. Later, they used this information to locate the monster and built the Chuai station over top of it, claiming (falsely) that they were drilling for oil there.

Shortly before the rig was supposed to open, Tagruato sent several submarines from the station down six miles to the ocean floor to study the monster. This action disturbed the creature from its slumber, and in a fit of rage and fear it destroyed the station, then proceeded towards Manhattan.

The creature, upon arriving to New York City, attempts to eat the Statue of Liberty's head, then throws it into the city when it realizes the head isn't edible. Though initially confused, the military's subsequent attacks frighten and later enrage the monster. For approximately five hours and fifty-seven minutes,[1] it rampages throughout the city, destroying landmarks and battling the military. After several failed attempts to kill the monster, the government initiates the HAMMER-DOWN Protocol, in a last ditch effort to destroy it.

According to film producer J.J. Abrams, the creature is officially "...a baby. He's brand-new. He's confused, disoriented and irritable. And he's been down there in the water for thousands and thousands of years."

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
all those creatures falling from it reminds me of sin from final fantasy 10.
maybe they will make a sequel but i hope not, wasn't too impressed by it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   
Cheers,murkraz. I wonder if one such thing slumbers....waits.....

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   
reply to post by listerofsmeg

A Sequel is already in the pipeline.

www.imdb.com...

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:49 AM
link   
Hmm, part 2....IT CAUSES EVEN MORE DESTRUCTION!!!! zzz

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   

I always did think it was a blatant rip-off of Sin. That game was awesome.

Of course they'll make a sequel. It will make them more money and they like more money.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:55 AM
link   
reply to post by Tea4One

yup, the quest for cash is killing my appreciation of hollywod.
total recal remake coming soon. that sucks.
whats next godfather part 4.0

lol hollywod, think i'll leave that spelling mistake
edit on 1/11/2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:57 AM
link   
I enjoyed the suspense factor in the way it was filmed, but it hurt my eyes at times. I hope the sequel looks more realistic. Less noticeable CGI, more awe and suspense is what this needs.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:58 AM
link   
I liked to think of it as the Leviathan. Coolest thing in the bible imo.
That was the best giant monster movie of my 35 year lifespan. As a Godzilla lover growing up, that is quite the complement for Abrahms and crew. I've been waiting on that sequel since the credits rolled.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Films would be so much better if less money was involved.

Godfather 4.0 featuring Christian Bale and Shia LaBeouf.

Total Recall remake? That'll be more awful than The Smurf movie.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
Now that is interesting,a biblical element. might be why it cant be destroyed.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Tea4One

yeah godfather 4.0 directed by either quentin tarantino or m night shyamalan. maybe it'll be arnie's comeback.

oh and apparently collin farrel is favorite to play the main character on total remake
edit on 1/11/2011 by listerofsmeg because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
The sequel supposedly will be the same night but from a different camera kinda crappy idea but better than trying to get the beast to walk into some high tension lines. maybe it will be a helmet cam view from a Special Forces soldier

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Not nessecerily, there was a Meteor that fell, and as the poster above points out, it was either in the meteor or in the ocean woken by the meteor. I'm pretty sure the drilling rig had something to do with it too.

I'm pretty sure it was already in the Ocean, from what I gather from JJ Abrams and other creator's interviews.

There should be a sequal that will explain it all in a year or 2.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by mandroids
Hmm, part 2....IT CAUSES EVEN MORE DESTRUCTION!!!! zzz

More like "Part 2, momma comes to find her baby"...

She's gonna be huge.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   
reply to post by bakedbluedevil

Do not want...
They need to progress the story, not go back over it again.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join