It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Domestic Terrorist Arrested in Stem Cell Lab Pipe Bombing

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:42 PM
link   
We got him.

In case you missed the news on the fundamentalist nut job that tried blowing up a Boston area lab specializing in stem cell research last Thursday (first ignored on ATS here) here's your chance to ignore him again.

BOSTON, Massachusetts (Reuters) -- Police Wednesday arrested a man in connection with last week's pipe bomb explosion at a Boston-area laboratory specializing in stem-cell research.

The man had already been charged last year with trying to blow up the same building.

The pipe bomb exploded last Thursday morning at the Amaranth Bio laboratory in Watertown, Massachusetts, shattering windows, police said. No one was hurt in the blast.

Watertown police said they arrested Brad Karger, 29, on Wednesday morning. He will be arraigned on charges of having placed an explosive device and burning a building.

Police said Karger was awaiting trial on charges he tried to cause a gas explosion in the same building in February, 2003.

No wild media speculation as of yet as to why exactly the man seemed so determined on blocking the lab's efforts in curing diabetes and liver disorders, diseases that kill countless patriots annually. Though it seems the terrorist has an ideological friend in the government. The hot election issue between Bush and Kerry is characterized in the CNN terror attack update as:

President Bush has forbidden the use of federal funds to manipulate human embryos and has limited scientific research to a few existing batches of cells.

Scientists say this limits a promising field of biological research and medicine based on the potential of the cells, which theoretically can be directed to form any tissue in the body.

Democratic candidate John Kerry has said he would rescind Bush's ban.

We now return you to the news about crazy foreign people threatening your way of life.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:59 PM
link   
I don't care if he's domestic or foreign. Anyone who tries to further a political or religious agenda by attempting to kill people is lumped into the same group in my mind. They all fit into the "I wish they could accomplish their explosive goals, but only while standing all together in one room" group.

I support and am intrigued by the current debate about stem cell research. I'm not a doctor or a researcher by any means so I'm not qualified to take a stand on it. But I think that any ethical vs. medical issues should be debated in a more civilized fashion than what this fruitloop did. Then again I also think that the people bombing abortion clinics were retarded too.

Domestic, foreign, whatever. It's all the same thing. People who are passionate about their ideals should understand that forcing them on others through violence and scare tactics is just not right.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   
I agree Djarums. I really, really do.

To avoid a one liner warn though
let me just add I'm so exhausted with International "terror" alerts right now...this is almost refreshing to hear about.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:44 PM
link   
I don't know how refreshing it is, but I do hope it will show that fundamentalism (see ignorance) in any form is a danger.

Is this rocket scientist even aware of what embryonic stem cells are? No one bats an eye at the thousands who get pregnant each year from IVF or wonders what becomes of the excess embryos that are prepared. But use those embryos for the betterment of humanity and all of sudden it becomes murder.

Go figure.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:07 PM
link   
Honestly I've been waiting years to hear a specific cry from PETA members: "Stop testing potentially life saving vaccines on animals, test them on us instead!"

It's the same thing here, I think people need to weigh the benefits of the stem cell research the same way they consider what in their opinion are the negatives. You can only arrive at a real conclusion by looking at both sides.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 03:20 PM
link   
Well even when is nice to have domestic news on our own type of "religious radicals" I bet he will receive presidential pardon, after all our present administration is against anything scientific.

I have been sarcastic here.

Right now fertilize eggs and cells has more rights than human beings so not surprise the bombings of abortion clinics and stem research labs will become the target of our own kind of "radicals" in this country and it will be ok if is done in the name of God's will

[edit on 1-9-2004 by marg6043]

new topics

top topics

join