It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Near Earth Objects danger understated by NASA. Compare the NEO's they predicted and how many actual

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
This is interesting. JPL Near Earth Objects 26th September

4 NEO objects listed for the whole of October

a4.sphotos.ak.fbcdn.net...

But then compare with what actually happened

In 5 days alone towards the end of the month there were over 10

Are they adjusting the predictions to stop people panicking.. ?

neo.jpl.nasa.gov...

edit on 1-11-2011 by mockrock because: missing link

+14 more 
posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:34 AM
link   
reply to post by mockrock

calm down chicken little. i just looked up your threads. all you do is post threads about outer space killing us (or possibly). i understand that space is scary and death is terrifying and all...but all these effing threads about space rocks that might kills us...come on. i wish we would get hit and the internet shut down just so that i didn't have to wash down an asteroid with my morning coffee every time i sign into ATS.

PLEASE STOP

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD

calm down chicken little. i just looked up your threads. all you do is post threads about outer space killing us (or possibly). i understand that space is scary and death is terrifying and all...but all these effing threads about space rocks that might kills us...come on. i wish we would get hit and the internet shut down just so that i didn't have to wash down an asteroid with my morning coffee every time i sign into ATS.

PLEASE STOP

Exercise freewill and don't read it then.. It is surely quite an important topic, worthy of discussion.. you can't avoid things just because they are scary.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:47 AM
link   

PLEASE STOP

All I do is ignore all the nonsense threads and concentrate on the big issues.. what bigger issue could there be! ?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   

Your screenshot is from spaceweather.com.

They never list all NEO's.

Otherwise there would be an entire page of them.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

PLEASE STOP

Whoa there mr censorship.

If you don't like what the fellow posts, ignore him. But telling him to shut up in this manner is unacceptable in my opinion.

You know what I dislike more than doomsday threads? People coming into a non-doomsday thread like this one, portraying it as one, throw in some ridicule, and then try to make them feel guilty for even thinking or talking about something they are interested in.

What is your agenda anyways? This is clearly a thread discussing how NASA underplays the numbers of NEO's according to the data.

Maybe NASA is technologically incapable of detecting them, or maybe they hide it if they did detect them?

You know who is really trembling in fear? People who demand censorship of discussions that scare them.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Chadwickus

There would probably be dozens of pages of them, if we counted all the super tiny ones too.

But none of that bothers me, because we all die one day, I choose to live until that day comes.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:52 AM
link   

That doesn't make any sense.. why exclude ones that come nearer than the ones they published?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by mockrock

All I do is ignore all the nonsense threads and concentrate on the big issues.. what bigger issue could there be! ?

I like talking about astronomy too. It's worth thinking, talking, and reading about daily.

I see nothing wrong with you posting a question wondering why there is a discrepancy between the two numerical sets.

I often times believe that we humans are too technologically primitive to detect even half of these things with much accuracy, but I am also open minded that perhaps they have secret tech that is capable of detecting 99.9% of them.

I could go either way here, and that's fine because I enjoy speculating about such things.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   

Email spaceweather and ask them.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Allow me to quote a line from Armageddon the movie.

Well, our object collision budget's about a million dollars a year. That allows us to track about three percent of the sky, and begging your pardon sir, but it's a big-ass sky.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Hmmm, that's a good suggestion.

If someone does email them, please post their reply in this thread so we can see what they say.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:02 AM
link   

On that first list nothing came closer than 12,500 miles, over an earth diameter away, most of them would burn completely up in the atmosphere, the 4 largest surviving entry to impact wouldn't pose a treat to life on earth surviving, though they would have great local effects and probably create a nice crater, but they were among the furthest away, at least over half of the distance to the moon away.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:06 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Hmmm, that's a good suggestion.

If someone does email them, please post their reply in this thread so we can see what they say.

Better just to try and find the JPL October screenshot.. Spaceweather still has YU55 down as 200M instead of 400M like on JPL

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   

What does it matter anyway?

if one is really interested in NEO's, spaceweather isn't the place to go for information.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   
ok. i have a question that i think would really help a lot of people out here:

ok. asteroids/comets/God's pennies usually burn up in our atmosphere, correct? ok...what size does the asteroid need to be in space so that a large enough chunk of it would survive entry into Earth's atmosphere to pose a threat to our species?

is there a simulator for this? or an average percentage that survives? how is this calculated? i'm asking because i think if we found out how big an asteroid had to be to pose a threat to mankind...maybe these comet/asteroid threads wouldn't get so blown out of proportion.

so...anyone know how big it would have to be for us to really be worried?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:15 AM
link   

What does it matter anyway?

if one is really interested in NEO's, spaceweather isn't the place to go for information.

Its an interesting comparison to see how many they declare... then the actual amount that pass. With most of the rubbish that is discussed on here I think this is a worthy discussion. Nothing matters more, forget every other conspiracy none has the potential 'impact' of this..

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

i'm not demanding censorship out of fear. i'm not afraid. i hope an asteroid hits us. i mean that. with all of my heart. i want the catalyst to hurry up and arrive. so i am not afraid of this.

what i am afraid of...is that ATS has become such a pulpit for nerds, stoners and youtube monkeys to share their paranoid terrors with all of us that it will never return to the pre-asteroid days of ATS.
edit on 11/1/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   

ok. i have a question that i think would really help a lot of people out here:

ok. asteroids/comets/God's pennies usually burn up in our atmosphere, correct? ok...what size does the asteroid need to be in space so that a large enough chunk of it would survive entry into Earth's atmosphere to pose a threat to our species?

is there a simulator for this? or an average percentage that survives? how is this calculated? i'm asking because i think if we found out how big an asteroid had to be to pose a threat to mankind...maybe these comet/asteroid threads wouldn't get so blown out of proportion.

so...anyone know how big it would have to be for us to really be worried?

Nobody really knows, most impact simulations don't take into account fault lines and volcanoes.. Local damage caused by a relatively small asteroid could have greater effects elsewhere. Density and angle of descent are important, it would be less catastrophic for one to hit land..

It may sound crazy.. But all the climate change nonsense has really been about a large earth change event not linked to mankind's actions. We just can't psychologically handle being powerless so they gave us a hobby to feel we had some sort of control.

edit on 1-11-2011 by mockrock because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

reply to post by muzzleflash

i'm not demanding censorship out of fear. i'm not afraid. i hope an asteroid hits us. i mean that. with all of my heart. i want the catalyst to hurry up and arrive. so i am not afraid of this.

what i am afraid of...is that ATS has become such a pulpit for nerds, stoners and youtube monkeys to share their paranoid terrors with all of us that it will never return to the pre-asteroid days of ATS.
edit on 11/1/11 by ICEKOHLD because: (no reason given)

I pursue this because I don't believe our governments have our best interests in mind and that we have the right to know what will be done in an event of a potential collision. I believe it could unite the world to a common cause.. But I fear it will be exploited by the same people who screwed us over with the forthcoming economic collapse.

Why should they get to shape the new world that would emerge.. When they screwed up the last one!

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join