It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Japanese MP drinks water from Fukushima nuclear plant.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:04 AM
link   
News Article

A Japanese official has drunk a glass of decontaminated water from the Fukushima nuclear plant to show it is safe for use.

After being grilled by reporters in Tokyo about the safety of decontaminated water from the Fukushima plant, government official Yasuhiro Sonoda produced a glass of the water and began drinking it.

The water was purified after being pumped from the basements of the number 5 and 6 reactors at Fukushima.

It had contained elevated levels of radioactive caesium.

Asked if he was trying to ease public concern, Mr Sonoda said he drank the water because he was asked to, adding that his actions do not mean the water is safe to drink.

"Just drinking [decontaminated water] doesn't mean safety has been confirmed, I know that," Mr Sonoda said. "Presenting data to the public is the best way."

The plant's operator and the government insist the level of radioactive caesium in the decontaminated water is below the safe limit for bathing.

Radioactive contaminants spewed into the environment from the Fukushima facility following reactor meltdowns and explosions triggered by the massive earthquake and tsunami of March 11.

More than seven months after the disaster, tens of thousands of people remain evacuated from their homes and businesses in a 20-kilometre no-go zone around the plant and in pockets beyond that.

Fully decontaminating those areas is expected to take decades.

Well I think this is pure propaganda, if the only positive media they can make is saying that decontaminated is safe to drink then they obviously don’t have any real good news on the subject. Fact is these nuclear disasters have caused worldwide contamination that no one will tell us the extent of. Its fact that the radioactivity will last for thousands of years but no transparency is being granted.
People in Japan and world-wide are beginning to worry. There have been scientific predictions made that Japan will be having another large earthquake within a few months and I think they the government doesn’t want anyone to be aware.
Anyway, time will tell.

Fukushima: It's much worse than you think

Why Fukushima is worse then Chernobyl

Experts say Fukushima 'worse' than Chernobyl

Radiation will stay in the Chernobyl area for the next 48,000 years.

Other versions of first story:
www.telegraph.co.uk...
in.news.yahoo.com...

edit on 1-11-2011 by KnowYourEnemy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:16 AM
link   
Well if it actually is water from one of the reactors good luck to him... Hes either very brave or very stupid.
I also wonder if he would drink milk, considering its been show to have radiation.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by BigBruddah
Well if it actually is water from one of the reactors good luck to him... Hes either very brave or very stupid.
I also wonder if he would drink milk, considering its been show to have radiation.
No he would be fine, decontaminating water is a fairly easy process and we can make it perfectly clean these days. That’s why people shouldn’t be scared about recycled water; its no different to regular water and because of the treatment, actually safer and cleaner.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
www.ehow.com...

Reverse osmosis and iron exchange are said to be effective methods to remove radiation from water. I read 8 inches of sand, that is of course not contaminated, is enough to remove radiation from water. Using the info in the above link one could conceivably make a more complex system to deal with radiation. One method is to separate the different filtration layers into separate water containers that drip into each other.

Larger stones in the first bottle with a coffee filter towards the bottom that feeds into another bottle that has smaller stones to another that has fine sand, to another that has activated charcoal. I always wanted to try this using 55 gallon plastic water drums and see how it goes.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

Originally posted by OathKeeper
www.ehow.com...

Reverse osmosis and iron exchange are said to be effective methods to remove radiation from water. I read 8 inches of sand, that is of course not contaminated, is enough to remove radiation from water. Using the info in the above link one could conceivably make a more complex system to deal with radiation. One method is to separate the different filtration layers into separate water containers that drip into each other.

Larger stones in the first bottle with a coffee filter towards the bottom that feeds into another bottle that has smaller stones to another that has fine sand, to another that has activated charcoal. I always wanted to try this using 55 gallon plastic water drums and see how it goes.
Yep it’s a process that has to happen naturally all the time. If it wasn’t possible we wouldn’t be able to drink water because it would always be contaminated.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
Well considering the facts that it could take years for the negative repercussions to become significant enough to be detected, of course it "looks safe to drink" today, but will this guy have major cancers by 2015-2025? It's a high possibility.

Also, consider the fact that the pollution from Fukushima has gotten all over everything already in large quantities, so it doesn't matter if he drinks it anyways.

Hell you and I might as well drink it because guess what? We are already drinking it too! That stuff is everywhere now, don't forget that.

edit on 1-11-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

edit on 1-11-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
I am sure that no one whould drink water and he knows that there is a radiation on it . so thats obivous that the water is clean and maybe he is trying to show that they can make the water clean with no radiation and it will be safe for the people to drink it so there wouldn't be any problem at all

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:39 AM
link   
What’s it matter to him, his body was already contaminated. What’s a radioactive glass of water going to do, if anything it will speed up the process, silly man sounds too proud to admit he is wrong and will do anything to show it.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   
after drinking radioactive water ill signs will show within weeks. One should also note that Japan is about 5th in the world for suicides, most amongst men. Maybe this is the new way to throw yourself on a sword. Pretty slow and painful though.

new topics

top topics

join