It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cannibalism during a SHTF scenario - would you eat or die?

page: 9
<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
My opinion is that there will alomst always be a more attractive alternative food source, vegetation, insects, birds, etc. In the unlikely case that everything else had died or been kiled then why prolong the inevitable? You'd be better off giving in at that stage and dying.

In this extreme circumstance, I believe there will always be something to eat to get you by until you can get out of the situation. If there isn't anything at all then chances are that there is no point in surviving for the extra few days that could be provided by eating a friend and then living with the decomposing remains.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
I have never understood what the big deal is with cannibalism. As long as the person being eaten was not murdered for their flesh, then what is the big deal. The only thing I would worry about with eating human flesh would be diseases, but I suppose if it is cooked properly then it should be okay?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   
I have to say that im finding it hard to take some opinions on this debate seriously. How can people possibly know exactly how they would behave unless in that situation?

To blanket say that 'i would not do that' is a completely disingenuous statement. You do know what you believe you would do and what you think morally. You do not know for certain though if that is how it would play out in reality.

Look at history - when it has been about base survival humanity descends into the gutter. If we are going to have these sorts of discussions, we should be honest with ourselves as well as others....

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by br0ker

I would eat to survive, gross as that may seem. Even people after death are only meat. That and I know that cooked human flesh smells and looks somewhat like chicken.

I just sayin...

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by jroberts227
reply to post by br0ker

I would eat to survive, gross as that may seem. Even people after death are only meat. That and I know that cooked human flesh smells and looks somewhat like chicken.

I just sayin...

Dude that's not even funny....

EDIT to delete details... but seriously, its not something you would be so blasé about if you had actually seen and smelt that.
edit on 2-11-2011 by fiftyfifty because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
Hard to tell unless you're faced with it, but for me it would depend on the reason why I am faced with this predicament. If I am stranded on a snowy mountainside with the hopes of staying alive long enough to be rescued- that's one thing. But if society had broken down due to some evil takeover from government then I'd have to ask myself what kind of future are we looking at? Some bleak, gray, Orwellian nightmare? Then I might consider the other option and becoming food for the cannibals at my own hand. If there is some sort of naturally occurring geological/atmospheric event that wipes out electricity and we have to live like pioneers in teepees then I think that would be pretty cool and if pushed to the brink I'll eat my dogs first.

edit on 2-11-2011 by bottleslingguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

reply to post by br0ker

I just sayin...

EDIT to delete details... but seriously, its not something you would be so blasé about if you had actually seen and smelt that.

I've smelled the smoke from a crematorium and it ain't so bad. I think my biggest hesitation would be first is it even WORTH surviving at that point? What does your future hold when TSHTF?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I agree completely

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:30 AM
link   
When it comes right down to it, I think that if I were hungry enough my instincts would take over and I would most certainly cannibalize to survive. I mean, does this not happen in the animal kingdom too?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Only if my plane crashes in the snow capped mountains of the Andes and one of my teammates dies of natural causes. Then it's ribs and steak for all... I always pack a little Montreal Steak Seasoning in my BOB just for situations like that.

Actually, I may just have to let myself die before I could dine on human flesh.

Then again???

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by bottleslingguy

Originally posted by fiftyfifty

reply to post by br0ker

I just sayin...

I've smelled the smoke from a crematorium and it ain't so bad. I think my biggest hesitation would be first is it even WORTH surviving at that point? What does your future hold when TSHTF?

Smelling the smoke from the crematorium is not seeing and smelling at the same time bud. I deleted my original reply because I thought it was unneccessary but in context to this thread, seeing a human body on fire and smelling the smell that goes with it is something that stays with you. There is something inside the human brain that finds the physical destruction of another human body in real life the hardest thing to deal with. only severe desperation or an emotional defect could alter this in my opinion.

link   

edit on 2-11-2011 by fiftyfifty because: double post

link   
In my post apocalyptic camp, any refugees or newcomers who want to dine on human flesh, will be shot. They will not be eaten.
edit on 2-11-2011 by thejlxc because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by zero1020
I have never been close to starvation so I'm not sure how I would act in a delirious and desperate state of mind. I'd like to think that I would do the honorable thing and kill myself but who knows.

this idea of honor is a good example of an answer to the question: to be or not to be? Once life becomes totally absurd and meaningless is it even worth going through the indignity of eating other humans? And for what gain? Another month living in Hell?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:44 AM
link   
reply to post by fiftyfifty

I was saying that tongue and cheek. You're right once you factor in the disgusting circumstances around the whole thing you're like wtf????

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 07:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ihsahn
When it comes right down to it, I think that if I were hungry enough my instincts would take over and I would most certainly cannibalize to survive. I mean, does this not happen in the animal kingdom too?

(speaking like the Elephant Man) I'M NOT AN ANIMAL!!!

what happens once the bodies have been decomposing for two months? How long are you trying to stay alive?

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:13 AM
link   
No, there are body technics meditation that can slow the hunger level and intake needed to survive. Also I wouldnt want to be responsible for this becomming the norm as it can become a snowball effect on remaining if any populations. So basically gotta find another way. As another member stated there are regions on earth already where there is starvation and those individuals where te starvation is in masses do not tend to eat their own. I dont place judgment on any for their actions but personally I would have to find a better way even if I have to dig for grubs and bugs roots ect. Eating another human body can have some negative physical effects on the body. Again 1 can understand if some were trapped and had to fend for themselves best way they can. the snowball effect can go from it being the eating of already dead to hunting to mini wars or tribal wars for flesh. then you have segregation again amongst the supposed strongest tribes who will kill and eat weaker tribes. So is the a good start????? or is it even ment to occure??? I guess it depends if TSHTF is related to some religious activities mentioned related to the seperation of the wheat and chaff the lambs and goats, its stated in Revelations there will be a time when the REAL followers of the LAMB will be killed their 3 dimensional bodies killed for following the CHRIST******* but their higher selves exist elsewhere and are observing what is happining down on the earth they once were part of..

Revelations 6:9--And when he had opened the fifth seal, I saw under the altar the souls of them that were slain for the word of God, and for the testimony which they held:

Revelations 6:10--And they cried with a loud voice, saying, How long, O Lord, holy and true, dost thou not judge and avenge our blood on them that dwell on the earth?

Revelations 6:11--And white robes were given unto every one of them; and it was said unto them, that they should rest yet for a little season, until their fellowservants also and their brethren, that should be killed as they were, should be fulfilled.

[color=gold]
entering the 6th seal the FOLLOWERS OF THE LAMB EVEN THOSE WHO DONT KNOW THEY ARE ARE NOT TO BE PRESENT ON EARTH WHEN THE WRATH BEGANS ON THOSE WHO KILLED THE LIGHTS* OF THE LAMB. SO MANY IF NOT ALL OF YOU SHOULD BE SCHEDULED FOR EXIT-GOING HOME ECT. *HEAVEN THE REAL SAFE ZONE FOR YOU ALL. THOSE TRAPPED HERE HAVE TAKEN THE SIGN / MARK TO SAVE THEIR SELVES WHY THEY LOOKED DOWN ON THOSE WHO DIDNT TAKE MARK AND CHOSE TO DIE FOR THE LORD AS HE DIED ON THE CROSS FOR THEM.. YOU WILL BE OK--life and death are phases within existence...
[/COLOR]
Revelations 6:12--And I beheld when he had opened the sixth seal, and, lo, there was a great earthquake; and the sun became black as sackcloth of hair, and the moon became as blood;

Revelations 6:13--And the stars of heaven fell unto the earth, even as a fig tree casteth her untimely figs, when she is shaken of a mighty wind.

Revelations 6:14--And the heavens departed as a scroll when it is rolled together; and every mountain and island were moved out of their places.

NOTICE THIS BELOW RELATED TO DUMBS OR DEEP UNDERGROUND MILITARY BASES OR BUNKERS OF THE RICH.
Revelations 6:15--And the kings of the earth, and the great men, and the rich men, and the chief captains, and the mighty men, and every bondman, and every free man, hid themselves in the dens and in the rocks of the mountains;

Revelations 6:16--And said to the mountains and rocks, Fall on us, and hide us from the face of him that sitteth on the throne, and from the wrath of the Lamb:

Revelations 6:17--For the great day of his wrath is come; and who shall be able to stand?

AGAIN NOT SAYING TSHTF IS A RELIGIOUS RELATED ACTIVITY BUT IF IT IS (DEPOPULATION ATTEMPT)THEN THIS IS SPIRITUAL-SOUL-ENERGY SURVIVAL LONG TERM NOT SHORT TERM 3 DIMENSIONAL FLESH THATS FOR THE EVOL TO TRY AND SAVE KEEP A TIGHT GRIP ON FOR THEY FEAR THEIR SECOND DEATH TO BE PLACED UPON THEM FOR THEIR DEEDS.. KEEP YOUR SOULS VIBRATING ON A HIGHER FREQUENCY AND HAVE FAITH.. YOU ARE PART OF A ETERNAL FAMILY

LOVE LIGHT ETERNIA*******
NAMASTE

edit on 11/2/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:37 AM
link   
would i have access to spices ?
. No one really knows how strong their will to survive is, most of us will never be pushed to that limit. But if it came down to life or death for myself or my family i think human would be on the menu until a better option came along

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
damn, you mean we have to wait for a disaster? i'm in trouble....

in all seriousness though i dont think i could, but, like many other people have pointed out theres no telling what we'd become in a true SHTF scenario

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 08:46 AM
link   
I would happily wither away. I hadn't existed in this current physical body for trillions upon trillions of years before and I eventually cease to not for trillions to come. When you think about it dying is not that big of a deal, sometimes we forget that when we fail to hop to the next rock for a bigger picture. I believe in my body of non luminescent light as part of the one substance and so is only a temporary fleeting form of that substance.

top topics

<< 6  7  8    10  11  12 >>

join