It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Think These Times are Strange? Well Time May Become Even Weirder

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
As I'm sure you are all aware, we either set back or add an hour twice every year to coincide with what we call "Day Light Savings Time"

The history of which is very interesting and can be found here. en.wikipedia.org...

Now, it seems that this tradition is becoming increasingly void from the world today, starting with Russia this year, not complying with this tradition.

www.bbc.co.uk...
Russian clocks stay on summertime

And now it seems that Europe will be following right along with a change of their own...

Clock This: U.K. May Consider Time Zone Switch
www.foxnews.com...

And, not to get all biblical on it, but....
Revelations 3: 3
3 Remember, therefore, what you have received and heard; obey it, and repent. But if you do not wake up, I will come like a thief, and you will not know at what time I will come to you.

How are we, or they, or whatever(lol) supposed to possibly know the time now?

It's not too big of a story, but it's however interesting that Governments all around are so willing to just up and change the time, as they seem fit. There are many justifications for either making a switch, or not. All of which are outlined in the articles I presented above.

What do you think?

I personally could care less if they want to run around, dictating all the clocks. I guess man just loves to be in control, even over the moon and the sun lol. It just seems to me that this will create a bunch of unwanted confussion.

Call me old fashioned, but... I'm going with whatever my cell phone tells me

Another interesting read is
Daylight Saving Time Ends Nov. 6 in U.S.: Is it Healthy or Harmful?
www.ibtimes.com...

"In a nationwide American time-use study, we're clearly seeing that, at the time of Daylight Saving Time extension in the spring, television watching is substantially reduced and outdoor behaviors like jogging, walking, or going to the park are substantially increased," National Geographic News quoted Wolff as saying. "That's remarkable, because of course the total amount of daylight in a given day is the same."

edit on 1-11-2011 by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS because: clarification

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   
Talk about weird. Now, most clocks do it automatically.

P.S. I think DST is one of the dumbest things ever. Add to that the U.S.'s metric system, or lack thereof.
edit on 1-11-2011 by Ghost375 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ghost375
Talk about weird. Now, most clocks do it automatically.

P.S. I think DST is one of the dumbest things ever. Add to that the U.S.'s metric system, or lack thereof.

LOL, Don't hate on my Feet and Inches

1ft=12in

1in broken down into, 1/2s, 1/4s, 1/8s, 1/16s and so on. What's not to love? That is just straight up genius.
Only joking!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:47 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

it's so much easier to move a decimal point vs trying to find a common denominator.
I could have swore that the US was supposed to go metric but changed their collective mind at the last minute.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:56 AM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

Your American measuring system is strange. It was one of my hardest adjustments moving here. I notice most Americans it seems does not know the metric system. How sad, it really is much more easy

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:01 AM
link   
Arizona doesn't do the daylight savings time change. I wish the rest of the country would do the same. I thinks its stupid to change the "time".

Daylight saving is tied to energy conservation. Switching to DST in the summer means more sunlight at night, which in turn means homes don't have to turn on lights as early.

There is no change in the length of time the sun is up. The hour of light usage just shifts from the evening to the morning.
edit on 1-11-2011 by xxxxxy because: +

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:55 AM
link   
What's interesting here is that Russia is kicking against western traditions. The never realy embraced the whole American Dream vibe anyway. Vodka anyone?

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:01 AM
link   
I've always thought daylight savings was stupid and confusing. Wish they'd do away with it here too. If our clocks synchronized with the rotation of the earth relative to the sun I would like that.

Off-topic: I took all the clocks down in my house once to take myself outside of "human time"... had some interesting experiences to say the least.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:11 AM
link   
Today are summer/winter time changes total nonsense because energy used for lighting is just tiny fraction of total energy usage. It is psychological and logistic problem - no gain, only loses.
As I do not have rigid work hours nothing changes for me ... still waking up an hour before dawn and going sleep 2hours after sunset. However some "outer world" services - like shops, public transport etc - shift by one hour against my schedule.
edit on 1-11-2011 by zeddissad2 because:

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:18 AM
link   
I have to admit that idea that we are moving from GMT/BST to CET really really peeves me off (I'm sure it just so Cameron et al can be in the same timezone as their chums in Europe)

It winds me up no end and winds up everyone I know, it's not as tho we haven't tried this before, and it didn't work then so I have no idea why they think it'll work now..

It seems the European way to just keep ramming things down our throats until we obey like good sheep.. arrrrggggg.. what do they want? confrontation? conflict?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:32 AM
link   
reply to post by i8urneighbor

Being a American, I have to say that working in state, nationwide, and out of country, I have never came across any type of machine that uses just metric or standard tools, its always a mixture.

I own a Chevy Z71 and I use every stinking tool I own to fix and customize that damn thing!

I work in Millwright and Construction and some, er, most tasks drive me nuts!
Anyone ever hear the saying "if its not broken, DON'T fix it."
Why does everyone think they need to improve great innovations??

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 03:42 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Ah, but that doesn't allow for humour..
The Met-Perial system is pretty humorous

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

Met-Perial System is not coming to mind, care to elaborate for my enlightenment??

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
reply to post by AK907ICECOLD

Well, it is when you take the Metric System in one hand and the Imperial system in the other, shove them into a box on which you jump up and down a few times to jam them together creating the Met-Perial system

I buy 6inch wall tiles in square metres.. or I check the thread on my 16inch rims in mm, or I fuel my car in litres while the computer spits out consumption in MPG.. or I buy a pint of beer and a shot (20ml) of spirits. or I buy pints of milk and litres of soft drinks or I weight myself in (stones UK) and lbs while eating food that is weighed in kilograms and grams

The Met-Perial system is a test of our sense of humour

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:42 AM
link   
reply to post by circlemaker

I would be interested to hear how you got on. Was it difficult? Did you find your natural body clock? How did you get on going to work, etc.

I HATE it when the clocks go back/forward but I am not sure what the answer is. I think it depends on what the problems are.

Unfortunatey my kids don't get it. It's worse when the clocks go back and we all have an extra hour - they just get up an hour earlier (when they normally would cos thats what they are used to doing). They get up around 7.30am and now its 6.30am. Its like HEY NO!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Actually, it's a great idea. Brilliant, really. We have more time to be outside in summer when the weather is beautiful, and in the winter, the children don't have to wait at the bus stop in the dark. We can't have that.
It would be a perfect time for predators.

Think of the children!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:38 AM
link   
reply to post by thoughtsfull

That was absolutely funny I have never sat down and thought about it like that!!!
Thanks for the chuckle.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by YarlanZey

I would be interested to hear how you got on. Was it difficult? Did you find your natural body clock? How did you get on going to work, etc.

I didn't have a job at the time so I had few external circumstances hindering my experiment. I actually didn't sleep for a week and felt great. My awareness was higher too. Everyone else appeared like a zombie in comparison. They all seemed to be on autopilot and not really experiencing the present moment. I was extremely creative. Like information was flowing through me faster than usual. I required very little food as well. Funny thing, at the end of my 7 day experiment someone mentioned to me "it's been a long day". Lol, you're tellin me.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by AK907ICECOLD
reply to post by i8urneighbor

Being a American, I have to say that working in state, nationwide, and out of country, I have never came across any type of machine that uses just metric or standard tools, its always a mixture.

I own a Chevy Z71 and I use every stinking tool I own to fix and customize that damn thing!

I work in Millwright and Construction and some, er, most tasks drive me nuts!
Why does everyone think they need to improve great innovations??

HAHA, I feel your pain... People outside the US think that metric is like null and void here.... it's very much prevalent people!

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by circlemaker

Originally posted by YarlanZey

I didn't have a job at the time so I had few external circumstances hindering my experiment. I actually didn't sleep for a week and felt great. My awareness was higher too. Everyone else appeared like a zombie in comparison. They all seemed to be on autopilot and not really experiencing the present moment. I was extremely creative. Like information was flowing through me faster than usual. I required very little food as well. Funny thing, at the end of my 7 day experiment someone mentioned to me "it's been a long day". Lol, you're tellin me.

I'm so right there with ya on everything you said, it's not even funny. Although those days have came and gone, but I still retain my heightened awareness(which is awesome). I as well was EXTREMELY creative... It might sound silly, but I did things with sacred geometry, and showed it to people... and they all thought I was like the re-birth of Einstein or something lol. I did a lot of studying of occult symbology, sacred geometry, cuboctahedron, theology, and ecology. Now every time I go to my old roommates pad, my art is on the walls all over, hanging in frames, and everyone asks me to explain them lol. I tell them, 'figure it out for yourself, you'll be smarter for it'. I kinda feel like a jerk when i say it, but it's true...

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join