It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Southern National Congress

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:18 PM
link   
I have long said that the old South is dead, never to rise again, a victim of Southerners selling out to the almighty Federal subsidy and secular hedonism.

Now there seems to have arisen the Southern National Congress, a group which is easy to dismiss as an invention of malcontents who long for a past whose philosophical foundations have been lost to the revisionist historians who have laid waste to our hallowed traditions.

Can it be that there is on the horizon a renaissance of tradional philosophical thought to take America back to its beginning, when the States were sovereign, before a Southern identity was synonymous with racism and its ideals were founded in the richest traditions of Western civilization?

Can the South, as it was conceived before the War of Northern Aggression and the destruction of our identity, rise again?

[edit on 04/9/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:43 PM
link   
I don't know if it (the South) will be allowed to return to it's principles of family values and states rights. To much hate, too many would yell racist, and too many would see this as a return to slavery. The Principles of self empowerment and strong family values are still instilled in a majority of people from the south. I think this is why the Republican Party is really strong in the South.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:48 PM
link   
If the Southern National Congress avoid exclusion on the basis of race, color, creed, etc., it just might have a chance. If not, it will share the same fate as any other factionalist anachronistic movement. One would hope that the movement would have higher ideals. I like their references to the philosophers of the ancient world all the way to the more contemporary Richard Weaver.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 02:57 PM
link   
GradyPhilpott, I agree with you, but being from the South and knowing about the hatered spewed out about the Confederate flag I know that the SNC would be accused of being members of the Klan and/or racist. Heritage not Hate just does not work.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
If the Southern National Congress avoid exclusion on the basis of race, color, creed, etc., it just might have a chance.

That it's even a consideration that they might be exclusionary based on those attributes, disqualifies them from even causual consideration, no?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I don't know that they do exclude on the bases of race, color, creed or otherwise, but if they do, the movement will ultimatlely fail because it will have insufficient credibility to gain momentum when there are already such organizations.

However, if an organization were to espouse the virtues of the old South and its membership were open to anyone who agrees with the philosophy regardless of even regional residence then the movement might have legs.

I would recommend that everyone read the essays of Richard Weaver to fully understand the real issues which caused the South to secede from the Union. Those values might very well be ripe for a revival.

[edit on 04/9/1 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:12 PM
link   
The SNC appears to be interesting, but I have doubts about their effectiveness toward achieving their goals without being lumped in with hate groups like the kkk in the process, and thus having their credibility ruined.

Somebody in another forum misinterprated some remarks of mine and stated "So you want to live in another country?". My response would be "No, my attitude toward the US is the same as a patriotic Scot or Welshman towards the UK.........get the F*** out of MY country!

We (the Confederacy) were attacked and invaded in an illegal and unconstitutional war that killed more Americans than all of our other wars to date combined, forcibly brought into the Union, and then placed under military occupation for 12 years. Even after all of that, the Southern states were subjected to discriminatory laws that didn't apply to any of the other states up to and including today.

Does that sound fair?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:21 PM
link   
There does seem to be a certain prejudgement of Southerners by the rest of the country on issues of racism. I'm Southern and I agree with RR in that I don't think the Southern Congress would really gain much credibility.
I'm in Georgia. They took our flag away because certain groups thought it represented oppression. I don't even know what our new flag looks like.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by elaine]

[edit on 1-9-2004 by elaine]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by RR98Does that sound fair?

There was nothing fair about it and even today Northerners insist on looking down their noses at the South and I have even heard some refer to us as traitors, exhibiting total ignorance of the facts of the War of Northern Aggression.

But we lost the war and we are once again Americans and as a group we have an admirable record of serving in the defense of the nation. It couldn't hurt though, if the nation as a whole could resurrect some of the values that have made the South synonymous with hospitality, dignity, and integrity.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:12 PM
link   
In fact Grady, Zell Miller who was speaking up for his buddy George Bush today is the one who took away our flag.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:18 PM
link   
You can say that again! I am a native of New Orleans, and when I moved up North in 1981 I was absolutely stupefied by the racism and bigotry that is prevalent up here! When someone would discover that I was a Southerner, they would often confide in me things like "you guys know how to handle YOUR 'n-word's!" and other equally offensive crap.

Land of Lincoln? More like the Land of Disgusting Racist Pigs. The National Grand Poobah Dragon Head Honcho Super Hater (or whatever his official title really was) of the KKK lived in Meriden, CT when I first moved up here.

Connecticut is thought of as a liberal suburban stronghold (Joe Lieberman and Ted Kennedy-best-bud Chris Dodd as Senators), but the working-class Democrats that I have met up here in the last 23 years are the worst bigots bar none.........NEVER seen anything back home like them.

Yankees...........got no use for 'em.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:24 PM
link   
I've met many more bigoted Northerners than Southerners. Which is not to say that white Southerners don't know the score. Most of the Southerners I have known were brought up as I was, to treat people with respect regardless of race. It never meant that you couldn't call a spade a spade, though.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:29 PM
link   

You can say that again! I am a native of New Orleans, and when I moved up North in 1981 I was absolutely stupefied by the racism and bigotry that is prevalent up here! When someone would discover that I was a Southerner, they would often confide in me things like "you guys know how to handle YOUR -o-!" and other equally offensive crap.

I live in southern GA and I agree with you one hundred percent, I had never seen so much racism in my live since I have been a resident of the littler town I live in.

I thought that racism was eliminated until I started to see behind the friendly southerner smiles.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:35 PM
link   

I've met many more bigoted Northerners than Southerners. Which is not to say that white Southerners don't know the score. Most of the Southerners I have known were brought up as I was, to treat people with respect regardless of race. It never meant that you couldn't call a spade a spade, though.

Is the double entendre intended, or just a poor choice of words?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:57 PM
link   
Marg, what little south Ga town do you live in? I am originally from South Ga. I know that there is racism in the south, but I have lived in the north and believe me, the Klan is stronger in Indiana than it is in Ga. The south gets a bad rap, but racism is found everywhere.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bout Time
It never meant that you couldn't call a spade a spade, though.

Is the double entendre intended, or just a poor choice of words?

While I am aware that a double entendre existed in that statement, I felt that the figure of speech, having nothing to do with race, would suffice. The term spade as a racial term, is not one that I use nor is it used by anyone I currently know.

However, it is a fairly innocuous one, that is on a par with honkey, cracker, gray boy, whitey, and a host of other terms used by blacks to describe whites. I don't even understand why 'n-word'[a certain word beginning with the letter "n" was deleted] is such a verboten term in so far a it is used ad naseum by blacks in every venue including hip hop.

In New Orleans you can't ride the bus for more than five minutes without hearing it used by blacks ten or fifteen times. It's just one of those things used by racist blacks to put whites in their place, like the T-shirt that read. "It's a black thing, you wouldn't understand."

[edit on 04/9/2 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:14 PM
link   
Hear, Hear! Wish I were GTT, but am stuck up here where it's cold and unfriendly. Please let me be transferred to San Antonio this year!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:39 PM
link   

Can the South, as it was conceived before the War of Northern Aggression and the destruction of our identity, rise again?

Leaving all issues of race out of it, it was indeed a war of northern aggression.

Allow me to be schitzo for a minute, as I have strong feelings on both sides of this. While I love what Lincoln ultimately accomplished, he prosecuted the war on the South like a rabid dog, and I hate him for it.

If I could, I'd split us down the Mason Dixon line now and never leave the South again. That is assuming we'd shut up already.

Because I refuse to be a hypocrite on this issue. Since I hate what the North did to the South, I'm literally sickened by what the South is trying to do to the North now. Red states dictating what blue states must do is wrong, wrong, wrong. Shame on George Bush. Damn Texas Yankee hypocrite.

I don't want to "rise" and make New Yorkers be like me. If they don't want handguns, and I do...they shouldn't have to. If they want abortions, but I don't...same thing. If they want to be secular, and I don't...praise Jesus.

But like I said, being schitzo as I am...I'm not a big fan of State's rights either.
I like consistency. I want TWO COUNTRIES.

That's a REAL SOUTHERN REBEL for ya. Not this hypocritical Texafying of the nation stuff that necons are trying to pull.

Bush compares himself to Lincoln alot. And it's accurate in that regard. Unification through destruction. Freedom through oppression. The conservative "backlash" here is nothing more than payback and it's just as wrong as when the North did it.

Grady, what say you? Are you with us or against us?

Real southern Dems I mean.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by RANT]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 12:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by RANT
Grady, what say you? Are you with us or against us?

Well, what I would like to see is a return to values of the old South and yes I would also like to keep race and other factionalizations out of it. I beleive that a new nation can be born out of this nation without violence, but rather from a shared conviction of people who are of all races, religons, regions and ethnicities, that we have drifted toward a model that the Founders never intended.

When I read the essays of Richard Weaver a few years ago, I really came to see the South in a new light and I understood things that I had never even considered, that I took for granted, but I was familiar with because these ideas were a part of my rearing.

It was little things like it didn't matter how much money you made, you could be as honorable as the richest man on earth--more honorable even--and if you had the fundamental things like a job and a home and a family, you really had what was important. You didn't believe that you had a right to anything you didn't work for and that the community was something you contributed to for its maintenance and that the community didn't exist for your own maintenance. That an education included a knowledge of and a respect for classical values and history.

Do I think it is likely that these things will catch on? No. As long as the federal government is the candy man, everyone will just merrily go along with whomever offers them the greatest largesse.

[edit on 04/9/3 by GradyPhilpott]

new topics

top topics

join