It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

How to STOP the special interest groups !

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
I think most people by now know that the special interest groups have too much control over how the governments all over the world work.

If you have not come to this realisation, then I hope you look up some information, and I will provide some here as well. Do not only take my word on it though, i think it is important for everyone to gather their own sources and decide for themselves.

So if I say this without backing it up, then it would lose some of it's potency so here is some sources to help.
(I also know that not everyone wants to sift through a ton of sources, but I have to provide some)

This is a PDF explaining exactly what a special interst group is, and how they work in a simple to read way
Special interest groups PDF

This group is providing information on special interst money, and some of the bills they have influenced
Stop special interest money

Here is Lou Dobbs in 2005 writing about Lobbyist and their involvement, on CNN
Lou Dobbs on CNN website

Here is a site about special interest groups in Canada
Special interest groups in Canada

So, how can we stop the special interest groups. Is it even possible?

I think so. It won't be easy.

First, there must be legislation passed, to slow to special interest groups power. This will be fought tooth and nail.
It has to limit the amount of funding they can use to influence what regulations get passed.

After limiting how much money they can use to infuence what bills are passed, then a bill would have to be passed that limits thier access to government. This includes campaign funds, donations to political events and groups.

The next step would be to pass a bill that gives equal rights of representation to the people. How can this be implemented, by giving transperancy to how much they are using to push their agenda, and giving people an equal chance to raise funds to show where their concerns lay.

Of course this would lead to the next bill, to stop special interest groups from using names that misrepresent who they are. Exampes of this are, The U.S. chamber of commerce, citizens against lawsuit abuse, ect.

A full list and more can be found here Source watch

I think this would be a good start and all countries must do this before anything can truly change.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
This is a thread started in 2006 addressing the issue of special interest groups
Alot of the information is very good

Why does the World Tolerate Special Interest Groups

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:39 PM
link   
I have an easier method, put them all in jail then change the laws.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
When I sit here and actually think about these groups and the lobbying they do, I do not understand how this wasn't made illegal so many years ago. The only group any politician should take into account when making a decision is that of the everyday American citizen.

Definitely NOT corporations and other businesses, et cetera that do not have the public's interest at heart, or even in their mind. These politicians need to remember that they are PUBLIC SERVANTS. That fact alone should have been enough to kill lobbying before it ever started.

I am going to check out that other thread posted under the OP, as maybe I can gain some insight into why the government can sometimes be so blatantly ignorant.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:58 PM
link   
I agree that would be easier, but it wouldn't resolve the problem from arising in the future.

IMO they would just find new ways of hiding what they do and how they do it.

There are some good documentaries on these subjects, I know alot of people would rather watch a movie than read so...

There is a good movie on the subject of Tort reform and their influence on the legal system.
Hot Coffee IMDB

A good movie on the subject of the derivatives market and credit default swaps
Inside job IMDB

Of course you should look up their facts, and not just blindly believe everything.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:17 AM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Well the short of it is that SOME special interest groups do try to do good.

Not all special interest groups want to control everything in government, but in recent years there has been a huge change in how they use these groups.

It is not a simpe matter and that is why I chose the bills I did.

Sometimes it does seem like their is an even chance for people to take thier voices to government, but time and time again the special interest groups have used their assets to gain the upper hand.

I think that the playing field is not fair. There is alot of work to do.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:56 AM
link   
I know it is tough to discect. There is alot of information and knowledge that must be foud before you can come to a proper decision.

I was thinking of this, people might be thinking, well how do we get a bill passed, we are just normal people.

Well we have to write the govenments.
Voice our concerns, and get signatures.

I know it sounds like hippy talk, but it is the best way. With all the movements acroos the world, it is a good time to get something done.

new topics

top topics

join