It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The subway smell

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:55 PM
link   
have you ever been to a subway restaurant and long before you opened the doors a particular smell wafts to your nose. It seems that every restaurant is like this. i am calling conspiracy. I want to put forth the conspiracy that the owners of subway are doing chemical marketing to the public.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Are you speaking of a chemical smell?
If so, that is probably cleaning agents,
they do have a strong order and I have
smelled them at other restaurants
before.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:59 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Actually, I just always thought it was the smell fresh bread.....

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
reply to post by pellian

Yeah, normally it's the smell of the food they are serving??????

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:05 PM
link   
It's the bread. I worked at Subway when I was a poor 20yr old - I was there for 4 months and only this past month (6 years later) did I eat it again for the first time since working there. I still can't stand the smell, ugh. Quiznos was SO much better (assistant manager of a store when they tried their luck in aus) their subs are awesome. Nom nom.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian
have you ever been to a subway restaurant and long before you opened the doors a particular smell wafts to your nose. It seems that every restaurant is like this. i am calling conspiracy. I want to put forth the conspiracy that the owners of subway are doing chemical marketing to the public.

I gave you a s+f for a creative theory.
So don't take offense to my criticism of it.
"It seems that every restaurant is like this."
um, yes, every restaurant is like this. Why would there be a conspiracy involving Subway? Because it smells different? Well, it smells different because the food there is different than the other restaurants you've been going to. I mean food always creates an odor when it cooks, and even when it's not cooking. Why is there anything odd about subway having a smell?

"i am calling conspiracy."
hehe I love this phrase.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by pellian

You are smelling the yeast from the bread they proof and bake right up front. There is no conspiracy, I can assure you. Sometimes that yeast can stagnate in the proofer ovens and when you combine it with smells from other things, such as the cookies baking or the bacon or pepperoni being heated, then you can get some strange odors. If you're not use to it and don't know what you're smelling, then yes...I could see how one would be caught off guard by it. You're only a victim of good marketing, that is all. A customer is sold by his/her senses...visual and olfactory. Subway does a great job of doing that, because you not only SEE the items being baked right in front of you, but you smell them.

NOW...whatever is IN those items is no different than what you'd buy at the grocery store from the same food giants that make their supplies. There may be a conspiracy there, but it doesn't stem from Subway.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
All I smell at Subway is the food and the bread.

Now the subway that you ride? Oh yeah, I smell something atrocious there.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:14 PM
link   
Dammit... Now I want Subway and its after 11 PM!~

OP is definitely an employee of Subway and is sending us subliminal messages to think about BREAD BAKING.. so we will go buy subway.
Im on to you op...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Advantage

OP is definitely an employee of Subway and is sending us subliminal messages to think about BREAD BAKING.. so we will go buy subway.
Im on to you op...

Now THAT's the real conspiracy.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   
A lot of restaurants will vent the exhaust from the ovens that they cook or bake the better smelling foods out of the front (as opposed to the greasy ovens or grills which they vent out of the top or back).

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Im on to you op...

See.. I know stuff. Im a super ATS conspiracy buster... OP is a subway shill.
In reality Im a female thats sort of like homer simpson when I think of subway or that baking bread smell *slobbers* . It just wasnt right for this OP to pull this BS when I thought he was speaking of THE subway... you know, the bum urine and burnt hair smell.
You gotta watch these shills around here...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:33 PM
link   

Originally posted by Chamberf=6

Im on to you op...

See.. I know stuff. Im a super ATS conspiracy buster... OP is a subway shill.
In reality Im a female thats sort of like homer simpson when I think of subway or that baking bread smell *slobbers* . It just wasnt right for this OP to pull this BS when I thought he was speaking of THE subway... you know, the bum urine and burnt hair smell.
You gotta watch these shills around here...

Okay...I followed you until the mention of the "burnt hair smell".
In a public tranist subway??? Please clarify your meaning!?! Maybe an electical shortout, instead?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
Lol, my brother and his friends used to hang out in Subway all the time. They eventually stopped going there because they couldn't stand the smell anymore. I agree it's not a pleasant smell. So it's the yeast?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
I remember years and years ago on the news there was an item about some shopping centres using additional scents in the baking section, so as you approached you got that freshly baked bread smell, just to attract people and entice them to buy bread...

Not really a conspiracy, just marketing.. sneaky as it is..

Now KFC... thats one place I can smell a mile away and despite the fact it's nothing but pure congealed grease on a dead animals carcass and smothered in sawdust, I can't ever resist.. lol

Damn it... now I did it to myself

new topics

top topics

join