It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Scientists crack mysterious "Copiale Cipher"

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:00 PM
link   
Copiale Cipher

An American-Swedish collaboration has finally cracked The Copiale Cipher, a mysterious 18th century document that no one could read – until now.

English Translation

Source

Named for one of just two non-coded inscriptions in the document, this mysterious manuscript is 105 pages long and is bound in gold and green brocade paper. The manuscript consists of roughly 75,000 characters. These characters are handwritten very neatly but consist of a perplexing mix of upper- and lower-case Roman letters, along with a large assortment of more abstract symbols (see sample pages above). In total, the Cipher contains 90 distinct characters, including 26 unaccented Roman letters. Adding to the confusion is the lack of spacing between words.

Example pages

Source

This opens up a window for people who study the history of ideas and the history of secret societies", says Dr Knight. He cites several modern examples of challenging ciphers, such as the communications from the still-unidentified Zodiac Killer to the California police in the 1960s and 1970s, and the Kryptos sculpture, located on grounds of the C.I.A. headquarters in the United States, which has been only partly decoded.

Dr Knight also points out that there are other such ancient enciphered texts, particularly the famous Voynich Manuscript, a 240-page volume that has confounded cryptographers for centuries. This document was recently dated back to the early 1400s.

Decipherment table

Transcription table

The Copiale Cipher

edit on 31-10-2011 by Daedal because: revised

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
Fascinating work indeed. I'd never be able to complete such a task -- I'd lose interest halfway through and give up alltogether. Now If only they can crack the Voynich manuscript

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:17 PM
link   
O noes, not another secret society...From the 1730's. This is interesting, but imo not nearly as interesting as the Voynich book. The cipher itself in this case wasn't all that difficult. It was a simple substitution cipher, which still, when multiple characters are used not only for letters, but groups of letters, spacings, etc, it becomes much more difficult to crack.

My hat goes off to these guys, even though they used computers, it was not an "easy" challenge by any means. Just an fyi, I am beginning to think that the Voynich Manuscript may not be crackable. Not because it is too difficult, but because it is just gibberish.

I had thought this myself after doing a bit of time researching it, and then there was a show about it on the History Channel last week, and they pretty much drew the same conclusion. Cool thread btw, thanks.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
I know it has been posted recently, but I don't think there was a translated text of it. Big thanks for that!

I wish they had used something different to compensate for the *lip* *o* and *nee*... It's really annoying, but...

I haven't finished reading the document, but it made me think of the Mason's initiations, sort of... aside from the plucking of an eyebrow. LOL

So it was from the "Occultis Order of Wolfenbüttel. That last word means the House of the Wolf-like...

Kind of give you an image of something dark.

Thanks again for the translation!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
reply to post by JiggyPotamus

Maybe the Voynich Manuscript was a kind of decoy, to have people ( of the Church, for example ) back then search in vain about its meaning while true infos were transmitted in another way?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
This was posted days ago! www.abovetopsecret.com...

almost word for word minus the pictures. Search perhaps??

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
If they could find a list of the members , what a reveal that would be .

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by redbarron626

Yeah I searched one of the links in my favorites list and seen it.Did a search of the topic and didn't see it,thanks for clearing that up.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:21 PM
link   
I can't remember where I saw it. I read the other day that someone has deciphered the Voynich manuscript and he says it was created by the young Leonardo DeVinci it's a botanical treatise about the uses of plants

it must be true I saw it on the interweb

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:54 AM
link   
Nope all part of the plan, enough of our society knows about illuminati or selling souls to the devil or new world order or whatever its all make believe fairy tale crap and as for this.. This is just scientists trying to do the same thing gain power and control over people by telling them they figured out what some bull# symbols mean all it would state is that in ancient egypt they had rituals for power over another person by getting in their heads and making them believe in something that isnt real,and mankind is trying to copy those same rituals today by saying hey im a scientist and i just now figured this out which means this is the answer uve been waiting for.. but who has been waiting for this?? we are all familiar with this topic and ritual of self sacrafice this is nothing knew. just more crap and scientists trying to get rich or famous from discovering something that is not signifcant at all. If this is newly discovered then how the hell do we already know about it and familiar with exactly whats written?? He probably doesnt even realize this himself sme things are better left not said at all.
edit on 1-11-2011 by Unwrittenfate726 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:14 AM
link   
Original Thread Here

Closing Duplicate

Semper

new topics

top topics

join