It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

U.S. cuts funding for UNESCO after Palestinian vote

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   

U.S. cuts funding for UNESCO after Palestinian vote

www.haaretz.com

The Obama administration has decided to cut off funding for UNESCO because it approved a Palestinian bid for full membership.

State Department spokeswoman Victoria Nuland says Monday's vote triggers a long-standing congressional restriction on funding to UN bodies that recognize Palestine as a state before an Israeli-Palestinian peace deal is reached.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.haaretz.com[ /url]
[url=http://www.haaretz.com/news/diplomacy-defense/israel-to-reconsider-cooperation-with-unesco-after-approval-of-palestine-membership-1.392983]www. haaretz.com

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:21 PM
link   
well they did say they would do it but this is defiantly not gonna score the Obama to many points with the Palestinians and im sure some of the other Arab nations might be offended about this as well either way seems that the status quoe of the middle east will remain with the same number of states for a few more years and from other source at bottom
"Israel to mull sanctions on Palestinian Authority following UNESCO vote " it seems that Israel is considering sanctions so i would not be surprised if some kind of incident were to pop off in that region over this hopefully nothing major but who knows its the middle east

"Prime Minister Benjamin Netanyahu will convene a meeting with his eight senior ministers on Tuesday to discuss the possibility of imposing sanctions on the Palestinian Authority after it was granted full membership from UNESCO.

According to a senior Israeli official, it is still unclear whether a decision will be reached on Tuesday, but various proposals aimed at taking punitive measures against the Palestinians are expected. " from below source and the third source talks about how they are considering pulling out of the UNESCO over this...

www.haaretz.com
(visit the link for the full news article)
edit on 31-10-2011 by KilrathiLG because: spell check

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
US : How can you do this to my baby Israel ..now we will cut you off

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
of course america wont recognise palestine as a state.. if they did then them and little brother israel would be hauled up for warcrimes and crimes against humanity... Thus they oppose any and all who recognise palestine as a state..

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   
reply to post by xavi1000

yeah i think that might just be the message we are sending if you cut out all the politi speak,its also concerning that it seems we are mulling implementing puninshing those that voted for it in economic terms or other measures(they didnt specify in the article)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:37 PM
link   
At last - a politician keeping a promise!!

And of course everyone still complains!!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:39 PM
link   
reply to post by Aloysius the Gaul

haha yeah ill give ya that one i hadent looked at it this way but i guess even a stopped clock is right twice a day thank you for your reply

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I think it's unfair to request membership of UNESCO if the UN hasn't yet decided on Statehood anyway. It's put them in a position that has ultimately cost them funding... in a vote that was always going to win; and that, not because it's the "right" thing to do, but simply because Palestine has the support of large swathes of arab and muslim nations worldwide.

...because really, what does a science council have to do with Palestinean Statehood? Nothing.

I don't dispute the right to a Palestinean State... but I don't like the way they're going about it.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:49 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   
This proves something very important about Foreign Aid

Bribe:
1: money or favor given or promised in order to influence the judgment or conduct of a person in a position of trust
2: something that serves to induce or influence

www.merriam-webster.com...

End Foreign Aid!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

yeah i think it is the wrong way to go about it that is for sure. I am personally unaware of how the actual process works my self or at least as far as what protocols to follow to go down that path. I was surprised that the UNESCO has a policy that could keep America from getting a vote by not paying its dues from original source "The cut in funding could impact the voting rights of the U.S., since under UNESCO's constitution any member state that gets more than two years in arrears in its contribution does not have the right to vote in the general conference. According to Nuland, the actual arrearage status of the U.S. will begin in January. " so it seems we got 2 years tell the USA would lose its vote but its an interesting wild card. thank you for your reply

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

yeah sums up most forms of foreign aid that is given but it does do good on the rare occasions it actually gets to the people we want it to (ie not warlords or evil dictator) but it has also been a pretty universal form or at least a tool of diplomacy for a long long time,i personally tend to look at aid to friendly countries as hush money (to cover up our secrets and digressions)and aid to non friendly countries as a tool to keep them from causing ruckus or chaos for a bit of time (ie north korea) thank you for your reply

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:15 PM
link   
So I guess Israel will be the only ones receiving a welfare check on the US taxpayer, get off your butts and get a real job Israel and stop stealing US dollars.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL
So I guess Israel will be the only ones receiving a welfare check on the US taxpayer, get off your butts and get a real job Israel and stop stealing US dollars.

As a pro-Israel Christian (I know, right? EEEEEK!!!)...

I agree wholeheartedly, dang it.
I honestly don't understand why Israel always seems to look to the US to solve all of its problems. You're a sovereign state, people, handle your own crap!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
The World: "We want Palestine to be an independent state."

The US: NOOO!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!!! THIS IS BLASPHEMY!!! WE'LL MAKE SURE EVERY NATION SUFFERS FOR THIS BY CUTTING FUNDING TO UNESCO! *throws tantrums*

Go ahead... Like anyone actually cares if the US cuts funding to the UN!

edit on 31-10-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   

quoted for truth, although most americans still think israel is our "friend". they are most assuredly not.
edit on 31-10-2011 by LightsideAssassin because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by CasiusIgnoranze
The World: "We want Palestine to be an independent state."

The US: NOOO!!!! YOU CAN'T DO THIS!!! THIS IS BLASPHEMY!!! WE'LL MAKE SURE EVERY NATION SUFFERS FOR THIS BY CUTTING FUNDING TO UNESCO! *throws tantrums*

Go ahead... Like anyone actually cares if the US cuts funding to the UN!

edit on 31-10-2011 by CasiusIgnoranze because: .

I bet you they'll start singing a different tune. This country has spoiled every country and alliance, all over the world with it's useless debt money.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by LightsideAssassin

quoted for truth, although most americans still think israel is our "friend". they are not assuredly not.

Yeah and you can most definatley trust all our Arab and Muslim allies
I am sure we can even though their Koran tells them it is all right to lie to infidels (all non believers) to advance the cause of Islam. I have to ask this question are you people really this ignorant that you believe the bull crap line Islam is a religion of peace. I find it hard to believe that people actually believe this given the track record and what the Koran states their goals to be. The only muslims that in my opinion telling the truth are the radicals that tell you right out they will counquer the world and bring sharia law to it.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:22 PM
link   
US cuts it 'bribe' money but its what over that is interesting.

We all know the USA government is under the direct control of the Israeli Government (as are a number of other countries - but we're not discussing them here). What exactly does the USA think the Palestinian men, women and children, the rightful and indigenous people of Israel need to do, to keep the USA smiling happily. Should all the people cut their own throats, blow themselves up or simply walk into the sea em-masse? Or just carry on periodically getting phosphorus and uranium tipped weapons hurled at them whilst they languish within a barracaded land.

Does the Aid for the Palestinains go direct to them or does it go to Israel first and then get filtered into Palestinains via the barracades and blockades?

Why does the USA hate the Palestinians so? I can't remember any Palestinian terrorists so it doesn't seem to be a country that breeds the world terrorists. Is Israel the listening/spy post for the ME for the USA or is there some other deep rooted reason for this Psychotic hatred? Its unseemly for a giant country to keep picking on a tiny little land whose only problem is, it exists.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:42 PM
link   
This is a great first step. Now let's cut the rest of the funding and boot the UN out of the US. While we are at it we can end all of those slave free trade agreements we have with countries that steal our jobs. It is really time for the US to put our own house in order and let the world take care of itself.

edit on 31-10-2011 by DarthMuerte because: (no reason given)

new topics

<<   2  3 >>

join