It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA in final preparations for November 8

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNameBrand
reply to post by blackmetalmist

This picture has been posted a few times on ATS but in case you haven't seen it.

As you can see YU55 is above the ecliptic plane, and will pose no threat to the moon.

I think that image is based on the old data. Do we have one with the new data?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
okay...look. me and my buddies got it fingered out. why don't we shoot a giant net up in space...with a rocket attached at each end that all activate once the asteroid hits the net and thrust in the opposite direction as the asteroid was traveling, thus slowing the asteroid down and allowing earth's gravitational pull to bring it home baby and let's occupy that asteroid! let's really finger out what makes them there asteroids tick boys!

no..but seriously...we should catch this asteroid and check it out.

ME AND MY BUDDIES
NASA
vote for us

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by NoNameBrand
reply to post by blackmetalmist

This picture has been posted a few times on ATS but in case you haven't seen it.

As you can see YU55 is above the ecliptic plane, and will pose no threat to the moon.

ah, yes. God bless three-dimensions! Oh. Wait. Four. Yes, four.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by Glassbender777
Wow that is really close when speaking "space measurements". Wonder what the closest ever asteriod was NOT to hit the earth. this has to be right up there, anything closer might get snatched up by earth
The closest approach I'm aware of was this one filmed in 1972, which apparently went through the Earth's upper atmosphere, without hitting the Earth itself, so my guess is it came within about 35 miles of the surface, to make a streak in the atmosphere like that.

The Great Daylight 1972 Fireball

en.wikipedia.org...

The Great Daylight 1972 Fireball (or US19720810) was an Earth-grazing meteoroid which passed within 57 kilometres (35 mi) of the surface of the Earth at 20:29 UTC on August 10, 1972.
Wikipedia says within 35 miles, but I'm a little skeptical if it would light up that brightly as thin as the atmosphere is at 34 miles high, which is why I suspect maybe it was a little closer. But it couldn't have been too much closer because then it probably would have exploded in the atmosphere.

That actually happened in 2008, with a closer approach of a meteor that didn't survive:

Earth Grazers and Fireballs Record Setting close approaches
distance: 37km (estimated)
size: 2–5m
date: 7 October 2008
name: 2008 TC3 (destroyed in atmosphere)

So the Great 1972 fireball is apparently the closest that did survive, that we know of. It's cool that someone captured it on video.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
reply to post by Glassbender777

2011 CQ1 missed the earth by 3,400 miles back in Febuary, when it was discovered. It was about 1 meter in diameter, about the size of an exercise ball. Of course the little bugger got quite a slingshot effect from earth gravity and its trajectory was altered forever by about 60º.

Space.com

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by blackmetalmist
reply to post by mileslong54

Heres my next question (if anyone cares to answer it
) Since its going to be fairly close to us, shall we expect to see some kind of light show in the sky or does that rule only apply to comets ?

Around November 8 and 9, 2005 YU55 will reach a visual brightness of 11th magnitude. That’s very faint for most of us. The asteroid will be visible only to amateur or professional astronomers. Naked eye limit of perception is around the 6th magnitude. Its an asteroid that has a 1.22 orbital year around the sun, so it wont outgas like a comet. For the earth's atmosphere to 'light it up' it would have to be about 200,000 feet from the surface, about 37 miles from impact.

Also understand this body is about a millionth the mass of the moon, it will have less of a tidal pull than a semi driving down a highway, its very far away and moving very fast. Its perihelion goes inside the orbit of Venus which is traveling about 78,300 mph so at that point the asteroid will exceed that speed, and slow to the speed of Mars at its aphelion to around 53,900 mph, and earth moves about 66,600 mph around the sun so someone better at math and orbital dynamics than me could maybe calculate the relative velocity YU55 will pass by but it will be speeding up as it goes by so I would guess it may pass by earth faster than 66,600 mph.

Hope that helps, anyone is welcome to correct any errors I made.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ICEKOHLD

If the earth can't capture the asteroid any spacecraft we could send up doesn't have a chance, we also couldn't get a spacecraft up to the relative speed of that asteroid to catch up to it in time, see above figures. Earth escape velocity is about 25,100 mph, that baby is going to zip by over 2.6 times that speed.
edit on 1-11-2011 by Illustronic because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 07:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by ICEKOHLD
okay...look. me and my buddies got it fingered out. why don't we shoot a giant net up in space...with a rocket attached at each end that all activate once the asteroid hits the net and thrust in the opposite direction as the asteroid was traveling, thus slowing the asteroid down and allowing earth's gravitational pull to bring it home baby and let's occupy that asteroid! let's really finger out what makes them there asteroids tick boys!

no..but seriously...we should catch this asteroid and check it out.

ME AND MY BUDDIES
NASA
vote for us

Occupy Asteroid. I love it

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:34 AM
link   

Wow that is really close when speaking "space measurements". Wonder what the closest ever asteriod was NOT to hit the earth. this has to be right up there, anything closer might get snatched up by earth

The most recent would probably be the Tunguska event. Many people link that explosion in Russia to an meteor or comet., Not an asteroid though, but must have been large enough to enter our atmosphere

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:04 PM
link   

Originally posted by mugger

The most recent would probably be the Tunguska event. Many people link that explosion in Russia to an meteor or comet., Not an asteroid though, but must have been large enough to enter our atmosphere

OK, someone else fix ^this^ post for me.

posted on Nov, 6 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Arbitrageur

Originally posted by Glassbender777
The closest approach I'm aware of was this one filmed in 1972, which apparently went through the Earth's upper atmosphere, without hitting the Earth itself, so my guess is it came within about 35 miles of the surface, to make a streak in the atmosphere like that.

The Great Daylight 1972 Fireball

en.wikipedia.org...

The Great Daylight 1972 Fireball (or US19720810) was an Earth-grazing meteoroid which passed within 57 kilometres (35 mi) of the surface of the Earth at 20:29 UTC on August 10, 1972.
Wikipedia says within 35 miles, but I'm a little skeptical if it would light up that brightly as thin as the atmosphere is at 34 miles high, which is why I suspect maybe it was a little closer. But it couldn't have been too much closer because then it probably would have exploded in the atmosphere.

That actually happened in 2008, with a closer approach of a meteor that didn't survive:

Earth Grazers and Fireballs Record Setting close approaches
distance: 37km (estimated)
size: 2–5m
date: 7 October 2008
name: 2008 TC3 (destroyed in atmosphere)

So the Great 1972 fireball is apparently the closest that did survive, that we know of. It's cool that someone captured it on video.

Hey, that video was awesome lol, didn't know this happened! thanks...

top topics

<< 1   >>

join