It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Unesco gives Palestinians full membership (Israel rejects the decision)

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:
+65 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:01 PM
link   
I know this is a small accomplishment, but it is a step in the right direction.

Unesco, the United Nations' cultural agency, has decided to give the Palestinians full membership of the body, in a vote that will boost their bid for recognition as a state at the UN.

Unesco is the first UN agency the Palestinians have sought to join as a full member since President Mahmoud Abbas applied for full membership of the United Nations on Sept. 23. The United States, Canada and Germany voted against Palestinian membership. Brazil, Russia, China, India, South Africa and France voted in favour. Britain abstained. Huge cheers went up in Unesco after delegates voted to approve the membership Monday. One shouted "Long Live Palestine!" in French.

Of course the usual suspects such as the U.S., Canada, and Germany voted as they were told to by their handlers. It's nice to see Brazil, Russia, China, India, and South Africa vote in favor. I was reallysurprised to see France vote in favor. Their must be an election coming up or something and France is fishing for some Arab votes

Israel said that the vote will harm prospects for the resumption of Middle East peace talks.

"This is a unilateral Palestinian manoeuver which will bring no change on the ground but further removes the possibility for a peace agreement," Israel's Foreign Ministry said in a statement. "This decision will not turn the Palestinian Authority into an actual state yet places unnecessary burdens on the route to renewing negotiations."

Israel, will you please just shut up? Like seriously... we are sick of your whining!

The Palestinians are taking the peaceful approach to establishing a recognized state that can allow their citizens to live as normal human beings.

I can't believe they are trying to portray this move as a roadblock to peace talks. The only roadblock in these peace talks is Israel's refusal to negotiate.

The White House condemned the vote as "premature" and it undermind international peace efforts.

"Today's vote at Unesco to admit the Palestinian Authority is premature and undermines the international community's shared goal of a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.

NEWS FLASH!:

No one believes any statements that come out of the White House anymore Mr. Carney! Thought you would have figured it out by now.

On Sunday, Riyad al-Malki, the foreign minister had said of the bid:

"This success, if it is realised, and with this large number of votes, will give a great boost to the efforts that we are making to get the required vote in the United Nations."

Admission will be seen by the Palestinians as a moral victory in their bid for full UN membership.

There was little hope from the get go and lots of skepticism on this ever getting passed. Many people didn't believe it would even make it this far. So as pessimistic as I am about this actually happening, there does seem to be at least a slight glimmer of hope. Israel's attempts to sabotage any peace talks have failed miserable and have had the opposite effect than they would have wished.

Washington, which has the power to veto such applications, opposes the Palestinian bid for a full UN seat on the grounds it is unhelpful to efforts to revive peace talks with Israel, the last round of which broke down a year ago.

Israel's closest international ally, the United States has said it will use its veto power in the Security Council to quash the bid for full UN membership, were it brought to a vote.

But Unesco is one of the UN agencies the Palestinians can join as a full member regardless of their broader status at the United Nations, where they are currently classified as "an observer entity". Palestinian success could bring a financial cost for Unesco. Under US law, the admission as a full Unesco member would trigger a cut-off in US funding which accounts for 22 per cent of the agency's funding.

I wonder if the U.S. will ever get sick and tired of being Israel's (female dog). Talk about serving your masters every wish.

And of course if Israel/USA doesn't get their way they will cut their funding. How typical

edit on 31-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

edit on 31-10-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

+56 more 
posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

And of course, Israel is quick to respond:

Israel to reconsider cooperation with UNESCO after approval of Palestine membership

Israel rejects the decision of the General Assembly of UNESCO to grant the Palestinians full membership of the organization, the Foreign Ministry said Monday, and warned that Israel will now reconsider its future cooperation with the body.

I am seriously sick of these Zionist spoiled brats running Israel.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   

Israel will get over it =D

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed

And of course, Israel is quick to respond:

Israel to reconsider cooperation with UNESCO after approval of Palestine membership

Israel rejects the decision of the General Assembly of UNESCO to grant the Palestinians full membership of the organization, the Foreign Ministry said Monday, and warned that Israel will now reconsider its future cooperation with the body.

I am seriously sick of these Zionist spoiled brats running Israel.

I say UNESCO should reconsider cooperation with Israel then.

Netanyahu must be foaming out the mouth at this very moment plotting his next move, maybe an announcement of more settlements is in order.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
And of course the US government acts like a thug :
US cuts off UNESCO funding after Palestinian vote

So the UN needs to be the US puppet or else!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Vitchilo

I mentioned that too in my OP.

It seems all the major players get butt hurt very easily and are willing to retaliate in any way necessary to show their discontent of the system actually kind of working for once.

"I'm taking my ball and going home!"

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Truth4Thought

Yes it would only be fair. If Israel wants to publicly criticize UNESCO and no longer cooperate, then UNESCO should do the same.

UNESCO isn't very important to Israel though with all their friends in high places that have veto power.

When you got friends like Uncle Sam who needs UNESCO or any other organization that can be bought and paid for

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unvarnished

Israel will get over it =D

They're way of getting over it will be bulldozing some Arab homes and burning some olive groves.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:07 PM
link   

Would you prefer the US fund international agencies that don't support its foreign policy? In case you haven't noticed, we're in a bit of a tight spot, financially, over here. We can't open our wallets for everyone that comes begging these days, we have to be selective. I'm sure UNESCO will do just fine without the $60 million we would've kicked in; maybe the Palestinians will provide it.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
This really is brilliant news. Definitely the right timing. It's time to get those bullies out of the sandbox and make them play nicely or I suspect they may have some interesting surprises in store. Seriously, not a moment too soon. Heartfelt congratulations to the people of Palestine and to all the UNESCO members who have finally seen the light!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:44 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by FurvusRexCaeli

I wish the UN would be dissolved but just before, Palestine would be recognized as a country.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

We can even save more than the $ 60 million earmarked for UNESCO. We can cut off aid to Israel and save an additional $ 3 billion.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by coolieno99

We can even save more than the $ 60 million earmarked for UNESCO. We can cut off aid to Israel and save an additional $ 3 billion.

I like your reasoning

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:26 AM
link   

"Today's vote at Unesco to admit the Palestinian Authority is premature and undermines the international community's shared goal of a comprehensive, just and lasting peace in the Middle East," said White House spokesman Jay Carney.

I think Mr. Carney - and his writers - need to break out the ol' dictionary and look up the definitions of "comprehensive," "just," and "lasting."

A peace gained solely on the terms of a victorious aggressor is none of these things.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:05 PM
link   

Why? If Israel lets the palestinians have their statehood and then Palestine attacks Israel, then they can declare war legally and mop the floor with Palestine. International comittee wouldn't have the right to tell Israel they can't defend themselves if fired on first. It would be 100% legal and world sanctioned action.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:29 PM
link   

"No one believes anything that comes out pf the white house anymore"? Youre right about that. Not even the american people believe anything the white house has to say since they are the puppets of the bankers and corporate elites.

I can pretty much guarantee if youre a politician youre getting some under the table money and some under the table head because these corporate pigs and bankers practically offer to pay for these politicians campaigns if these politicians will have a more "favorable" look on them. Doesn't matter what country youre from. Politician in any language means "liar". Politics is the science of telling bigger and better lies than what your opponents tells so that you get what you want over them getting what they want. People's votes counts for nothing when the men youre voting for are lying their asses off anyways.
edit on 2-11-2011 by lonewolf19792000 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
Sometimes I am ashamed of being Canadian.

Canada axes voluntary funding to UNESCO

OTTAWA — In the wake of a vote by UNESCO to allow Palestinians a seat at the table, Canada's federal government said it will not be giving any additional money to the UN body.

Canada is just as much Israel's female dog as the U.S. is

We sure keep cozy with the Chinese and other questionable governments but are always quick to point the finger at anyone Israel dislikes.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 03:05 AM
link   

I was kind of surprised when I read that Canada was throwing their teddy in the corner too. But then, you are the Queen's subjects so you have to play along when you're told to. Might wanna get rid of Queenie at some point. Just an idea.

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join