It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Embedded Videos - Please explain what you've posted!!!

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
I often see members posting lengthy videos about topics that I would consider interesting, but they offer no more than a title for what would be a three hour series.

In the interest of expressing yourself more clearly, and to make it easier for those of us who want to learn about the key points of your post without having to invest several hours, I am posting this suggestion that we'd all benefit from the practice of offering at least a sentence, or as much as a paragraph describing the key points of a video.

I recognize some videos involve a lot more detail, and that's fine, but even a broad summary has to be better than, "Watch this and you'll have all the answers." I'm sorry, but I'm not going to invest 10 minutes or more for just that, and I suspect I'm not the only one.

I'm not arguing this should be required, but rather that it should be a good practice where everyone would benefit.

(I wasn't sure if this was the right forum. I apologize in advance if it wasn't, but I wanted to make this point and this seemed to fit best.)
edit on 31-10-2011 by cassandranova because: detail

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:39 AM
link   
reply to post by cassandranova

I think you'll find that suggestion is actually part of the sites T&C..

Never hurts to remind everyone though..

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:42 AM
link   
I'm glad it is, and hope people will follow it!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:46 AM
link   
Indeed. The staff recently discussed the fact that so many people have no regard for this T&C.

15k.) Video links/embeds: You will not embed or Post a link to a video without a reasonable description of its content and why it interests you, is germane to the topics discussed on the Websites or the topic of an existing thread should you post it in a reply to an existing thread.

We will be making an extra effort to crack down on folks that post only videos with little or no input of their own.

Not only is it simple etiquette and a courtesy towards other members, but it's also considerate towards people who don't have the luxury of bandwidth. ATS is after all a discussion board. It's a not a hey-look-at-this-youtube-video board.

Opening posts that doesn't follow the T&Cs in regards to video embeds will result in the thread being deleted. In-thread/reply posts that follow suit will be removed as off-topic.

Feel free to alert the staff whenever you spot one of these.

edit on 31-10-2011 by Gemwolf because: Clarity

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 03:39 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Yes Gemwolf..

Last I heard ATS was a discussion board, not a news outlet.

It is happening more and more and I for one would like to see a crackdown..

Seems some members are plain lazy..

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   
reply to post by Gemwolf

Thanks Gemwolf. I shall.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I hope it starts being enforced more. I watch tv and read the internet. I am not keen at all on watching the internet. It interferes with the tv watching.

top topics

join