It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Writing my first science-fiction novel

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:27 AM
link   
I'm in the process of collecting information to write my first science fiction novel, and I have to say how impressed I am with those who have done this before. It's much more challenging than it appears from the outside to not just tell a story, but to try to find the balance between what is fantastic and believable while still threading a real human interest.

I sometimes feel like I'm going back to school with this one, especially as I'm melding some of ATS's favorite topics into what I'm looking at, through the eyes of a half-hearted skeptic. That said, the threads here and the members are a treasure trove of information, and I get inspiration from some of what I learn here.

Without giving away too many details, the series I want to write is going to use a series of odd events to lead the protagonist into following clues in a search that eventually will be for the origins of mankind. It has always struck me as bizarre that civilization popped up simultaneously in so many places at once, and with some common elements, such that I wonder what might have been lost. Legends of Atlantis and Lemuria might be interesting if they represent a fallen age of man.

I'm certainly not the first or only one to tread this path, but I think it might make for a fun world to read and write, and even more so if the backdrop for studying the past is an ominous omen about a future return from otherworldly visitors.

But I'm going to be doing a ton of research, and I hope to be able to call on some of the people here for insights on different issues. Specifically, in this first book, I'm exploring sacred geometry, frequencies attuned to humanity and their impact, a little astronomy, and I'm thinking of getting into Tesla and the Hutchison effect. It's less about proving or disproving anything as opening the mind of my character to a larger world.

I guess it reflects my own personal observation that as I learn, matter matters less than energy, and I think as science comes to understand us better, it will find the interactions, waves, energies, and the like are more important. Which is how I'm imagining the obligatory black ops group

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:51 AM
link   
I am also a New writer It took me 30 years to even get started on this path. I have found some things to help me.

first i keep a pen and paper with me, or I have a recorder on me at all times. this is so that I can Idea keep.

Next you want to foster a love for the words that you will be smithing. Words are the tools you will be crafting with. the bread and butter of your love will be seeded on paper with a care of an artisan.

next remember that ideas are like little bubbles that when shown to the world are fragile and may pop. every new page you build a harder and harder shell onto that idea to protect it. soon that shell will be made of iron when that day comes then show your idea to the world but never before. rebuilding a bubble of an idea is just as hard as forming it in the first place.

lastly Keep at it. keep at it. keep at it. and keep at it.

Let love flow from your ink and your ideas will come.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Immaterial because: Eazyer reading.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:09 AM
link   
Writing is great. I've written a general fiction novel before so I have a pretty good process down, but this is a different animal for me. In what I've done previously, I was building upon personal experiences so the story was just a matter of developing my characters along a set trail.

This project is a little more challenging because I'm tryng to find some ideas that haven't been explored so much, and use the medium to get knowledge of the possibility of something more out there.

As far as technique goes, I actually have a notepad file I keep on my computer with a bunch of random thoughts that sometimes come together, write outlines for my own benefit, but the thing I like most is a whiteboard I keep where I stay that always has things scribbled on it.

I'm pretty good at getting into my writing. I just tend to ignore the rest of reality when I do.

What sort of writing do you do?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
I wordsmith of the science-fiction placed in the near future for I can poke at soon to be dead ideas with my pen of things that stink to me.

When I make brain goo, letters fall out of a storm from my brain. I think you should do the same.
let any and all words fall out, on the paper do not sensor them, let the gray matter make light.
edit on 31-10-2011 by Immaterial because: better readability.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:28 AM
link   
cool!! can i be the villain? please? i'm sick of being the good guy, just once in my life i want to lose in the end just to what it's like.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by DOADOA
cool!! can i be the villain? please? i'm sick of being the good guy, just once in my life i want to lose in the end just to what it's like.

^_^ make like interview and he might make of forging of idea.

What were your expectations for last job and to what extent were they met?
What major challenges and problems did you face? How did you handle them?
What have you learned from your mistakes?
What was the biggest failure in this position? Renumber this is reverse psycho-ology.

The character interview, might do a D20 also.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:33 AM
link   
I agree words are your tool.
try this website, its similar to my own lists i have complied for my self.

Descriptive Words

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Immaterial

Originally posted by DOADOA

^_^ make like interview and he might make of forging of idea.

What were your expectations for last job and to what extent were they met?
What major challenges and problems did you face? How did you handle them?
What have you learned from your mistakes?
What was the biggest failure in this position? Renumber this is reverse psycho-ology.

The character interview, might do a D20 also.

well, it all started 8 months ago. i was the leader of a great fail nation. the only ones who stayed were fools and/or crippled..... and/or blind. of course as the good guy, i stood by my people. i was there supporting them through the worst of times, when it was hopeless and life was cheap. still, i never gave up on this fail nation. when there was no way, i made a way. these fools brought water and life to what was once a desert. they turned sands into cities where business flourished and no child were born without a future. we went from the poorest nation on nibiru to one of the richest in six days. unlike other good guys, i kept my promise and for decades my people enjoyed necessities and luxuries that were denied to them.

the high council of Nibiru ( nibiru atar torom osciles) hated this. for months i saw myself on holographic projectors portrayed as a mad man. i asked them,"HOW DOES A MAD MAN CHANGE THE FATE OF MILLIONS IN SIX WEEKS!! IF THIS WERE THE FEAT OF A MAD MAN THEN TELL ME OH GREAT SANE BEING, WHAT WOULD YOU HAVE DONE!!!! IF YOU COULD DO ANYTHING AT ALL!!!" they turned my people against me and destroyed everything i and my people had worked so hard for. bomb rained down on my cities as they seek for me and my family. anyways long story short they found me and killed me just a few week ago. i died, the bad guys cheered blah blah blah blah blah but since im a good guy i get to torture my killers for all of eternity in their afterlife the moons of nibiru. the end. (this is forgery, sue me, bite me, etc..)

i, like your true self, was incapable of making mistakes and thus i slap people with my infinite superior knowledge. ideas which i refuse to understand or cannot grasp were those of psychos. i never learn from my mistakes so people feel they need to teach me until it was clear who was being taught.

any other questions?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:39 AM
link   
Well it friends on how you are going to write how life began...is it going to include intelligent design? All accident? Ancient aliens? so many possibilities....

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Good questions. In terms of literary progression, what I'm going to show is the how the origin of really high tech ideas are often rooted in ancient principles. It's going to build to the suggestion that ancients may have had more technological knowledge than we did, and there will be a search for the lost golden age of the past.

I'll have a secret society that has some roots in real secret societies, some in history, and some in fiction that is plausible seeking also to obtain this knowledge. And to act upon it.

I haven't decided yet if aliens will be involved in the end, but it's a possibility I've considered. It would be a very interesting theory to suggest humanity itself is not terrestrial in origin, either being travellers from say the Orion system (and you could use the recent excellent research here on the pyramids and Orion as suggestive of the way back home!), or some sort of hybridization between local species and a foreign species.

But for now, I'm considering one of two ideas to explore for the first book. I might either go into Tesla's research and what was lost and what was hidden, or I might go into harmonics and what frequencies have what impact. I'm actually starting with more scientific technology based solutions because my character is going to be opening up to more possibilities slowly, so I wouldn't be surprised if the idea of antigravity is the starting point.

That said, I might actually have ATS as a resource in the story, and I'm not against having a member or two make a cameo appearance.
As much as this is fiction, the research I'm having my character do is rooted in my own personal questioning and discoveries. And with a little luck, putting stories out there might encourage more people to come forward who know things.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 04:25 PM
link   
I eagerly await hearing more.

And I hope that your dreams become a reality as I love Science Fiction and nothing makes my nights better than curling up with a good book/story to read.

So much success to you!

posted on Nov, 28 2011 @ 07:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by cassandranova
Writing is great. I've written a general fiction novel before so I have a pretty good process down, but this is a different animal for me. In what I've done previously, I was building upon personal experiences so the story was just a matter of developing my characters along a set trail.

This project is a little more challenging because I'm tryng to find some ideas that haven't been explored so much, and use the medium to get knowledge of the possibility of something more out there.

As far as technique goes, I actually have a notepad file I keep on my computer with a bunch of random thoughts that sometimes come together, write outlines for my own benefit, but the thing I like most is a whiteboard I keep where I stay that always has things scribbled on it.

I'm pretty good at getting into my writing. I just tend to ignore the rest of reality when I do.

What sort of writing do you do?

You know theres an app for windows called WikidPad. Its basically wikipedia platformed like wiki for your word processing apps. you can catalogue and look up referances and notations you might feel worthy of remembering in a great organized app easy to use and understand. try it out
On a side note I am also a longterm fiction writer but I am currently looking to get some input from the minds of ATS on a scene Ive been having trouble with. If your up to it shoot on by and check out the piece i have up.Its small, around 2,000 words. But insight as you well know can be invaluable and opinions too! The Lord and the Liar

top topics

join