It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Trans at 10? Is this trend a means of blending in?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   
Hello, I was just looking around on youtube and saw the new 20/20 documentary Boys will be Girls and I really have to wonder is this a new way of blending in? If you were a parent of a seemingly effeminate child would you brand them gay and moreover a girl on the inside? I have been seeing quite a bit of this in America and I realize that compared to other countries we have a small amount of people who do this so why should I care? Well I can't help but feel these boys may end up like the Castrati of the old ages...those opera singers who were given the option to make irreversible changes to their bodies at a young age but not given enough knowledge of the consequences.

Somehow with all of the bullying and gay suicides I really feel that some of these parents are thinking that this will help their child avoid all of that but how does that help the gay community? Some of these kids are being raised as girls from children and this isn't odd to anyone? I understand that more tolerance and acceptance is needed in America but to change a child so young is crazy. And how would endorsing this course of action be a promotion of tolerance? I will leave you to a link to the 2008 documentary Be Like Others which follows the stories of Iranian gay men who feel pressured to have a sex change in other to be accepted in Iranian society. Sad.

edit on 30-10-2011 by iamusic because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:48 PM
link   
There's a lot to say on this issue. All i can say is people don't have their heads on right. Manipulation and imprinting of ideas into young children's minds is, in my opinion, just as screwed up as MK Ultra and the like.
edit on 30-10-2011 by xacto because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
reply to post by iamusic

Being transgendered is more difficult than being gay has ever been, or ever will be. I'm sorry, as a transgendered person I can say that doing that to hide gay, is gasoline to fire. I do not think it's the case.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:20 AM
link   
Just because a boy likes to play with dolls, likes the color pink, etc. doesn't make them a girl inside. It just means the boy likes to play with dolls. Our society has put people into gender specific roles that have no real rhyme or reason as to why they go with a certain gender. My guess is that his sister played a large role in why the boy thought he was a girl inside. At a young age he more than likely wanted to play with dolls just because he saw his sister playing with them. The whole "I want it because some else has it" syndrome.

Also, I don't think the parents should have given their kid puberty blockers. When he turns 18 if he still is wanting a sex change he is capable of getting that, but at that age he isn't old enough to understand all the consequences. Secondly, kids go through different phases and tend to be very fickle. This could have just been a phase that once he gets to middle school he realizes that he doesn't feel like a girl inside.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:41 AM
link   
reply to post by Rhino5

I agree 100% Just because someone wants to be something they aren't, that doesn't mean they were born in the wrong body.

If someone grows up feeling like they were supposed to be born as a fish/dog/horse etc... well, you can't do much about that right? you can dress up as one of the animals, but what would people say? they have a mental development problem simple as that.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   
I wish parents would leave kids alone to go through their stages.

It is natural for a young person to wonder, explore and experiment.

It always has been.

So please, parents, let the kids decide on their own, and let them keep on deciding until they are adults.

Kids do not have life experience and, because of this, they have nothing on which to base any decisions.

I view any adult interfering in this process as a child abuser, whether they mean to or not.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
reply to post by iamusic

Being transgendered is more difficult than being gay has ever been, or ever will be. I'm sorry, as a transgendered person I can say that doing that to hide gay, is gasoline to fire. I do not think it's the case.

I really don't understand this. I saw in the 2nd part of this video series the pop star Kim Petras said that some doctors said "it may be a phase...or he may just be gay." I guess my question is how is it possible to know that you are gay at that age or a female on the inside? Also I wonder what would be the problem if the child is just gay...why not wait? This all is very interesting yet strange because I can't help but wonder just how many American parents are choosing this option for young males...and are parents doing this for women that want to become men?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by iamusic

You don't really choose anything. If a doctor approaches the problem with the mentality of "might be" then they don't know their job.

top topics

join