It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bush Compared To Churchill ? Don't make me laugh

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:05 AM
link   
As an Englishmen I find the comparison insulting.

On the one hand the greatest Briton ever,a nobel laurette,and a war veteren and on the other an illiterate oilman.

Still let's be fair.Men should be judged by their words.

So let's take a look at the words that history will remember and compare like for like.

"They've seen me make decisions, they've seen me under trying times, they've seen me weep, they've seen me laugh, they've seen me hug. And they know who I am, and I believe they're comfortable with the fact that they know I'm not going to shift principles or shift positions based upon polls and focus groups." —George W. Bush, interview with USA Today, Aug. 27, 2004

A fanatic is one who can't change his mind and won't change the subject.
Sir Winston Churchill

"I hope you leave here and walk out and say, 'What did he say?'" —George W. Bush, Beaverton, Oregon, Aug. 13, 2004

Every day you may make progress. Every step may be fruitful. Yet there will stretch out before you an ever-lengthening, ever-ascending, ever-improving path. You know you will never get to the end of the journey. But this, so far from discouraging, only adds to the joy and glory of the climb.
Sir Winston Churchill

"Our enemies are innovative and resourceful, and so are we. They never stop thinking about new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Aug. 5, 2004

It is a mistake to try to look too far ahead. The chain of destiny can only be grasped one link at a time.
Sir Winston Churchill

"The ambassador and the general were briefing me on the — the vast majority of Iraqis want to live in a peaceful, free world. And we will find these people and we will bring them to justice." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Oct. 27, 2003

"Never in the field of human conflict
was so much owed by so many to so few."

"See, free nations are peaceful nations. Free nations don't attack each other. Free nations don't develop weapons of mass destruction." —George W. Bush, Milwaukee, Wis., Oct. 3, 2003

The whole fury and might of the enemy must very soon be turned on us now. Hitler knows that he will have to break us in this island or lose the war. If we can stand up to him, all Europe may be free and the life of the world may move forward into broad, sunlit uplands. But if we fail, then the whole world, including the United States, including all that we have known and cared for, will sink into the abyss of a new Dark Age, made more sinister, and perhaps more protracted, by the lights of perverted science. Let us therefore brace ourselves to our duties, and so bear ourselves that, if the British Empire and its Commonwealth last for a thousand years, men will say, "This was their finest hour."
Sir Winston Churchill

"I glance at the headlines just to kind of get a flavor for what's moving. I rarely read the stories, and get briefed by people who are probably read the news themselves." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., Sept. 21, 2003

Broadly speaking, the short words are the best, and the old words best of all.
Sir Winston Churchill

"I'm the master of low expectations." —George W. Bush, aboard Air Force One, June 4, 2003

Sir Winston Churchill
He has all the virtues I dislike and none of the vices I admire.

"You're free. And freedom is beautiful. And, you know, it'll take time to restore chaos and order — order out of chaos. But we will." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C., April 13, 2003

Success is the ability to go from one failure to another with no loss of enthusiasm.
Sir Winston Churchill

"I'm the commander — see, I don't need to explain — I do not need to explain why I say things. That's the interesting thing about being president." —George W. Bush, as quoted in Bob Woodward's "Bush at War"

Never, never, never believe any war will be smooth and easy, or that anyone who embarks on the strange voyage can measure the tides and hurricanes he will encounter. The statesman who yields to war fever must realize that once the signal is given, he is no longer the master of policy but the slave of unforeseeable and uncontrollable events.
Sir Winston Churchill

"I was proud the other day when both Republicans and Democrats stood with me in the Rose Garden to announce their support for a clear statement of purpose: you disarm, or we will." —George W. Bush, speaking about Saddam Hussein, Manchester, N.H., Oct. 5, 2002

We shall not fail or falter; we shall not weaken or tire...Give us the tools and we will finish the job.
Sir Winston Churchil

"There's no cave deep enough for America, or dark enough to hide." —George W. Bush, Oklahoma City, Aug. 29, 2002

The British nation is unique in this respect. They are the only people who like to be told how bad things are, who like to be told the worst.
Sir Winston Churchill

"The problem with the French is that they don't have a word for entrepreneur." —George W. Bush, discussing the decline of the French economy with British Prime Minister Tony Blair

I have always felt that a politician is to be judged by the animosities he excites among his opponents.
Sir Winston Churchill

"Sometimes when I sleep at night I think of (Dr. Seuss's) 'Hop on Pop.'" —George W. Bush, in a speech about childhood education, Washington, D.C., April 2, 2002

"My trip to Asia begins here in Japan for an important reason. It begins here because for a century and a half now, America and Japan have formed one of the great and enduring alliances of modern times. From that alliance has come an era of peace in the Pacific." —George W. Bush, who apparently forgot about a little something called World War II, Tokyo, Feb. 18, 2002

Sir Winston Churchill
Men occasionally stumble over the truth, but most of them pick themselves up and hurry off as if nothing ever happened.

"I couldn't imagine somebody like Osama bin Laden understanding the joy of Hanukkah." —George W. Bush, at a White House Menorah lighting ceremony, Washington, D.C., Dec. 10, 2001

I would say to the House, as I said to those who have joined this Government: 'I have nothing to offer but blood, toil, tears, and sweat."
Sir Winston Churchill

"When I take action, I'm not going to fire a $2 million missile at a $10 empty tent and hit a camel in the butt. It's going to be decisive." —George W. Bush, Washington, D.C. Sept. 19, 2001

Many forms of Government have been tried, and will be tried in this world of sin and woe. No one pretends that democracy is perfect or all-wise. Indeed, it has been said that democracy is the worst form of government except all those other forms that have been tried from time to time.
Sir Winston Churchill

"I know what I believe. I will continue to articulate what I believe and what I believe — I believe what I believe is right." —George W. Bush, in Rome, July 22, 2001

History will be kind to me for I intend to write it.
Sir Winston Churchill

"I want it to be said that the Bush administration was a results-oriented administration, because I believe the results of focusing our attention and energy on teaching children to read and having an education system that's responsive to the child and to the parents, as opposed to mired in a system that refuses to change, will make America what we want it to be — a more literate country and a hopefuller country." —George W. Bush, Jan. 11, 2001

One ought never to turn one's back on a threatened danger and try to run away from it. If you do that, you will double the danger. But if you meet it promptly and without flinching, you will reduce the danger by half.
Sir Winston Churchill

"If this were a dictatorship, it would be a heck of a lot easier — so long as I'm the dictator." —George W. Bush, Dec. 19, 2000

When the eagles are silent, the parrots begin to jabber.
Sir Winston Churchill

"The legislature's job is to write law. It's the executive branch's job to interpret law." —George W. Bush, Austin, Texas, Nov. 22, 2000

Personally I'm always ready to learn, although I do not always like being taught.
Sir Winston Churchill

"They misunderestimated me." —George W. Bush, Bentonville, Ark., Nov. 6, 2000

We make a living by what we get, we make a life by what we give.
Sir Winston Churchill

"I think if you know what you believe, it makes it a lot easier to answer questions. I can't answer your question." —George W. Bush, in response to a question about whether he wished he could take back any of his answers in the first debate. Reynoldsburg, Ohio, Oct. 4, 2000

This is not the end. It is not even the beginning of the end. But it is, perhaps, the end of the beginning.
Sir Winston Churchill

"It is clear our nation is reliant upon big foreign oil. More and more of our imports come from overseas." —George W. Bush, Beaverton, Ore., Sep. 25, 2000

"...We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
Sir Winston Churchill

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:22 AM
link   
Yeah Churchill ws an evil bastard. That's one person who should be prosecuted for war crimes, lucky for him he's fertilizing a tree

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by John bull 1
"...We shall not flag nor fail. We shall go on to the end. We shall fight in France and on the seas and oceans; we shall fight with growing confidence and growing strength in the air. We shall defend our island whatever the cost may be; we shall fight on beaches, landing grounds, in fields, in streets and on the hills. We shall never surrender and even if, which I do not for the moment believe, this island or a large part of it were subjugated and starving, then our empire beyond the seas, armed and guarded by the British Fleet, will carry on the struggle until in God's good time the New World with all its power and might, sets forth to the liberation and rescue of the Old."
Sir Winston Churchill

It makes me proud to be British

Originally posted by mad scientist
Yeah Churchill ws an evil bastard. That's one person who should be prosecuted for war crimes, lucky for him he's fertilizing a tree

I hope you are joking! George Bush could never come anywhere near Churchill, Churchill was a hero.... Bush is an idiot

[edit on 1-9-2004 by UK Wizard]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:22 AM
link   
I'd rather judge by actions than words. If you can't see some of the similariities between the 2 you are just being selectively blind.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
Great post Jb

Makes me proud I know an Englishman (sorry, that's the closest I can get, but you know what I mean).

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:25 AM
link   
As an Irishman all I can say about Churchill is that the man was a bigot ! You should hear the things he said about ireland! We might as well have been black the fat $#!T he was!

Oh and there was another quote about the BBC and its role in delivering propaganda.

Tha man was a right-wing bigot happy to shoot unarmed, naked fuzzy-wuzzies, and nothing to be proud about!

[edit on 1/9/2004 by Corinthas]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corinthas
As an Irishman all I can say about Churchill is that the man was a bigot ! You should hear the things he said about ireland! We might as well have been black the fat $#!T he was!

Ha...yeah, people do tend to forget that he was a white supremacist bigot. I guess the question is whether or not the good overrides the bad...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:31 AM
link   
As if he held a gun in his hands between 1940 and 1945! LOL!

He probable never even saw mud during his lifetime but is practically credited with winning the war siglehandedly!

][ GRRR!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:34 AM
link   
Our president is even dumber than I thought

Hopefuller? My goodness...

Too bad you don't have that quote they play on the Imus show, where someone asks Bush about tribal sovereignty

[edit on 1-9-2004 by W_HAMILTON]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:42 AM
link   

Oh and there was another quote about the BBC and its role in delivering propaganda.

Tha man was a right-wing bigot happy to shoot unarmed, naked fuzzy-wuzzies, and nothing to be proud about!

Indeed he was, unfortunately Bush is still in office...!!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:00 AM
link   
Indeed he had a way with words, did Churchill. Read " A History of the English-speaking Peoples", it's brilliantly written.

But IMO he was a conniving war-monger, although probably the right man for the times. A brilliant propagandist of great intellect just the same.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:03 AM
link   
Churchill = national hero to the UK
Bush = Wanna be hero for the USA

As an Englishman, i find this highly insulting

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:06 AM
link   
Bush is a visionary, a great leader, with impeccable integrity. He is quite easily in the class of Churchill. Few indeed are they, in particular on this website, who know the man, for they are blinded by there hate of him. Ronald Reagan was hated, and his vision brought down the wall, of which I have a piece proudly displayed

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by UK Wizard

Originally posted by John bull 1
Sir Winston Churchill

It makes me proud to be British

Originally posted by mad scientist

I hope you are joking! George Bush could never come anywhere near Churchill, Churchill was a hero.... Bush is an idiot

[edit on 1-9-2004 by UK Wizard]

Makes me Embarrassed to be American.... I wish I were British right now...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Apoc
I'd rather judge by actions than words. If you can't see some of the similariities between the 2 you are just being selectively blind.

They are forgetting the lesson that Chamberlain taught the world.
Yell peace peace peace ... while the bombs fall on your head.
Laura Bush's speech was excellent and it was correct.
There are many simularities between Bush and now, and
Churchill and then. AND the spirit of Chamberlain lives on
in those who can't see it.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 11:45 AM
link   
from what i know of churchill he was a manic depressive alcoholic druid, who was just as likely to tell ya to "f**k off" as wave a friendly greeting, is that simular to george bush??
dont get me wrong i think churchill was great, but he was not a good ol boy, he was a nutter

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:07 PM
link   

As if he held a gun in his hands between 1940 and 1945! LOL!

He probable never even saw mud during his lifetime but is practically credited with winning the war siglehandedly!

][ GRRR!

actually, churchill was a soldier. he fought in a very vicious campaign in the sudan.

-koji K.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:09 PM
link   
I believe they are alike in a few aspects, the most striking of which is how they both went to war when much of their population didn't want to. Although Church' was by far the better speaker, in their determination to protect their country they are much the same.

JAK

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 12:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by smokenmirrors

Bush is a visionary, a great leader, with impeccable integrity. He is quite easily in the class of Churchill.

Aha, ha, ahhaa, haaaa.

*Long pause*

Ahhhaa, haa, haa, ha, ha, aha.

If I get a warning for laughing, boy was it worth it. That was one of the funniest comments I have ever read.

Originally posted by smokenmirrors

Lead, follow, or get out of the way!

Ahhhhh, haaa, ha, ha. Oh stop it please, no more. Ahhaa, ha, ha.

Allow me to put another of Churchill's quotes in hope that you take note:

Originally said by Winston Churchill

Say what you have to say and the first time you come to a sentence with a grammatical ending - sit down.

No, Churchill was not a perfect (or perhaps even totally sane) man. The story of him demanding that his dinner guests assist him in chasing off migrating (Nazi) Geese has me in fits of laughter every time I think of it. For further amusement find out about his response to being told that a conservative politican had been discovered in relations out in the open with another man. I believe it was in the 50's and the incident occurred in Hyde Park.

As for his alcoholism, another of his quotes

Originally said by Winston Churchill

I have taken more out of alcohol than alcohol has taken out of me.

If alcohol helped him steer this country through the dark days of WWII then it's the best advert those who manufacture such drinks could wish for.

Churchill had the foresight to warn Parliament about the threat from Germany long before Parliament even saw fit to take it seriously. I believe Bush had just returned from a holiday on September 11th.

Does anyone really think it possible that in years to come people will be quoting Bush, or comparing themselves to him in an attempt to increase their public persona? Although I may lack the clarity in forethought of Churchill, I seriously doubt it.

Truly then, the phrase "Cometh the hour, cometh the man" was never more fitting for any man.

Jack

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 01:06 PM
link   

Originally posted by moranity1
from what i know of churchill he was a manic depressive alcoholic druid, who was just as likely to tell ya to "f**k off" as wave a friendly greeting, is that simular to george bush??
dont get me wrong i think churchill was great, but he was not a good ol boy, he was a nutter

Just as well the fat bastard didn't have TV cameras in his face all day. I wonder how great he would have seemed then.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join