It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Cardinals and Bishops Refuse To Shake Hands With the Pope Benedict XVI (video)

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   
That looked like something from the Benny Hill show!

Sorry I am in a wierd mood today. There is definately some tension in the ranks if you ask me.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
reply to post by quitesane

If you are greeting the Pope in a formal occasion (or any Bishop whose authority you recognize as extended over you), and his hand is offered, you kiss the ring-- you do not shake his hand.

You can tell that this is not "greeting the Pope" but rather that the Pope introducing another-- because if greeting the Pope, the others would move to him.

What is out of order is that a few are shaking his hand-- probably simply forgetting themselves, out of familiarity or perhaps overwhelmed with affection. That is to say, that working closely with an ecclesiastical authority, the ring kissing greeting tends to be dismissed by the authority. With the camera present and given the situation, the hand shaking is inappropriate, but forgivable, if due to exuberance.

Were you people raised in a barn?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
I'm surprised they didn't bow down to him instead like they usually do. Some of them look like they didn't want to "disgrace" him with only a handshake.
edit on 31-10-2011 by jeramie because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   
There's is actually a talk about this on the history channel on the nostra damus effect if i find it i will give a link sorry about spell check.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:00 PM
link   
The Vatican called for a World Bank, didn't they?

That HAPPENED. It's not conspiracy. That was real. And we all know world government would be a bad thing (if you need sources to prove this, please look for yourself)

The Pope and the Vatican are interlocked. It's axiomatic that some devout religious individuals (true loyalties to the church) would deny someone they believed undeserving, the proper respect.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

No, I was not raised in a barn
Rather in an atheist family and even country!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Originally posted by ToneDeaf
cultural custom
This will explain everything, listen to the end :
www.youtube.com...

Thank you for the link, but I don't think the queen and the pope are exactly the same thing... In some cases what is wrong with the queen is ok with the pope and vise versa, NO???

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by quitesane
reply to post by Frira

Ah! I see.

Well, then, you may ignore the assigned readings for tonight from Emily Post and Gloria Vanderbilt!

(That's an American idiom: Emily Post and Gloria Vanderbilt were famous for having impeccable manners and social awareness).

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   
Well.. it IS flu season you know. Besides, no tellin' where that hand has been.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:09 AM
link   
Don't believe everything you hear on tv, like about child abuse and the pope, to me thats bull. Wheres the proof? Its far deeper subject than any of us can comprehend, heres my insight on this. The cardinals are probably part of a cult that preforms satanic rituals and acts thus by showing disrespect to the pope automatically makes him look weak and anybody watching knows that human nature and animal instinct thrives upon weakness, its an impulse not a thought process. Its messed up becuz people take it so literall and believe stories of child abuse when the ones who were coming forth may have been true victims but thats no reason to say or blame every catholic priest. I think they are trying to turn as many people against the pope as possible to gain total control over whatever it is they do. i cant really touch the subject of religion its not my strong suite but to show disrespect to the pope on national tv is extremely suspicious and diliberately humiliating to make any man or woman second guess what they believe in.. think about it another illuminati con? or perhaps they are all in on it together to gain more mind control over each of u. Nobody will know for sure its best to leave this topic ignored.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by crazydaisy
That is indeed strange -
want to know why myself,
hope someone can help
us out here.

This was an absolute insult to the Pope, I hope someone is able to I.D. These bishops and cardinals to find out there home countries and see if and what politics played in this.

On a personal note the pope recently has allowed for the Koran to be read during mass at various churches and his following in Pope John Paul 2 footsteps in working towards a one world church.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

reply to post by Frira

Ah! I see.

Well, then, you may ignore the assigned readings for tonight from Emily Post and Gloria Vanderbilt!

(That's an American idiom: Emily Post and Gloria Vanderbilt were famous for having impeccable manners and social awareness).

Ha-ha. I don't need Emily Post and Gloria Vanderbilt to teach me manners. But seriously, you can't be well informed on every subject. We all better at one thing and worse at another. Same goes with our knowledge.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

reply to post by Frira

Ah! I see.

Ha-ha. I don't need Emily Post and Gloria Vanderbilt to teach me manners. But seriously, you can't be well informed on every subject. We all better at one thing and worse at another. Same goes with our knowledge.

I am sure your social graces are every bit the match to them.

When such things are done properly, there is no confusion for the participants nor for the onlookers, even if none is well-informed about protocol.

Simply starting at the opposite end and using the left hand in gesture of introduction would have resolved all confusion.

As it is, the Pope does appear to be snubbed-- all for poor planning. Emily and Gloria must be appalled (but would be too nice to mention it!).

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
In the news: Ireland is closing Vatican embassy saying they would save money. Isn't Vatican supposed to be paying for its embassy expenses no matter where it is located? So, may be it's not the real reason.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   
at 0:45 it looks like one of them reaches for the Pope's hand, withdraws in a moment of clarity, and the Pope grabs his as a gesture of kindness or whatnot.

That leads me to believe that they weren't supposed to shake the hand, and forgot themselves when the Pope used a confusing method of positioning and whatnot...'cause it IS a confusing setup!

Also, in response to John Paul II being holy because he came back from multiple shootings and blood loss....yeah, that does sound miraculous. Or, he couldn't die without a stake or silver bullet. Depends on who you ask, really

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
He is only a man. If you don't wish to shake hands then don't. Simple. Now the question is: Is it custom TO shake the hand? I know of the kissing rings of saturn, but more modern do they just simply bow head and smile? In American custom and being a man, if I go to shake another mans hand and he refuses my hand and eye contact, I TAKE that as DISRESPECTING me. Maybe thats just my personal belief, but I am not up to par on the whole Jesuit traditional greeting of the Pope. I know in the past, gardeners at the Vatican if the Pope was walking outside and in view, the gardeners were to hide out of sight. Malachi Martin stated that in one of his books. I would take the not shaking as disrespect.

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 01:55 PM
link   
Looks like he follows along behind the big guy like some kind of pet...strange walk

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:20 PM
link   
reply to post by Racey

after reading this and then watching the clip..this makes sense.....and after reading the posts on this thread..its obvious that most dont read the thread before for posting...you know, to see what other info there is about the subject in question......there should be a 'face-palm' emocon on ATS

posted on Nov, 9 2011 @ 02:34 PM
link   
reply to post by quitesane

This reminds me of this video where it says "Obama snubbed" ...
But he was not, he was just "presenting/introducing" people and NOT being snubbed

edit on 9-11-2011 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

edit on 9-11-2011 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join