It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Catholic Cardinals and Bishops Refuse To Shake Hands With the Pope Benedict XVI (video)

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
I saw this video on YT and now I have a question: What does it mean? Is it what it looks like? Do they show openly their "disagreement" with his politics or whatever it can be called? Or is it something else? Looks too good to be true... May be the Catholics in this forum can answer my question or explain what it was and why they did it. Thank you very much for any comment and information that could help me to understand if it's what I think it is or is it something else

edit on 30-10-2011 by quitesane because: corrected the title

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
There are a lot of liberal clergy who disagree with the Pope, especially on his recent opening up access to the Traditional Latin Mass, which many of the liberals thought they had suppressed after the 2nd Vatican Council.

When the Pope opened up access to the traditional mass, undid the excommunications of the SSPX bishops and opened negotiations with the SSPX over the proper interpretation of the 2nd Vatican Council, many feared an open rebellion within the clergy, especially the European bishops.

The open rebellion never materialized but, I'm sure there is a lot of passive resistance to his policies going on.

Its also possible that they may have bought into the media propaganda about how he was the one responsible for all of the child abuse cases. Like JP II wasn't anywhere around during the time all that was going on. The truth is, Benedict XVI has spent most of his pontificate trying to clean up the messed left to him by his predecessor.

They shouldn't be working to canonize JP II, they should be pissing on his unholy grave IMO.

ETA:
Of course, there is the possibility that neither Pope is a legitimate successor to the chair of St Peter. Though that wouldn't explain the dissing by the bishops; they are all in league with the forces seeking to bring down the Church.

edit on 10/30/11 by FortAnthem because:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:51 PM
link   
Well that's interesting. Any clever ATS members got the scoop on what this is all about? That's quite the burn on the pope!

Edit: Too slow typing. Thank you for clearing that up FortAnthem
edit on 30-10-2011 by The Cusp because: too slow posting

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:52 PM
link   
That is indeed strange -
want to know why myself,
hope someone can help
us out here.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

"Satan's smoke has made its way into the temple of God through some crack." -- Pope Paul VI, 1972

The political answer makes sense though I sometimes feel the above quote is coming to full fruition.
edit on 30-10-2011 by The GUT because: Change of heart

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:57 PM
link   
I wouldnt shake the hand of the pope either

Fortunately im 31 so theres no fear of him bum raping me

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
reply to post by quitesane

Wow!! That is blatant and cannot be mistaken for anything except overt disrespect.
Benny was snubbed, and it must be over something serious!

Is there a power for good in the ascendancy within the church (the most powerful
organisation in the world) who would have out with the old? Or is benny being so
blatantly disrespected because as a (not so well liked) pawn, his time is nearly up
and a new, regarded leader (assuredly equally or more corrupt) waits in the wings?

Either of the above still doesn't seem enough to explain such blatant and public disdain!!
This Is Big.

edit on 30-10-2011 by pshea38 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:09 PM
link   
Some of them may know the "Pope" is a fakir...but, then that beggars the question: are they not also?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:10 PM
link   
reply to post by The GUT

Thank You, thank you for spilling the beans - so to speak - by giving the 1972 words of Pope Paul V1. He then asked all to pray even more-so for Satan, and he referred to the Freemasons, who step by step were entering the Vatican. To hush Pope Pau; V1, a replicated stooge was found and given the chance to take-up the pretensive role as being the official Pope..... This can be found and clearly proved by those who care to search.

Russia was a country in which Religious beleif was refused. The result was a widespred flock of peasants and about 19 years ago even the Russian forces were simply given a jar of pickled gherkins instead of a financial wage. Now the pendulum is swinging our way and with Russia announcing a large number of Billion / trillionaires, look at how this, the western world is developing.

Sure, Christianity is heading for the dustbin, but look at what is trying to take its place. All in the so called name of Jihad - Holy War .........Is this what 2 world wars were really fought for????

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
IMO this shows that they do not practice what they preach. Blatant disrespect does not, at least to me, fit in with the whole "Do unto others" thing. Maybe that's just me.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:31 PM
link   
When I first saw this a couple days ago I was distraught to say the least...
Then I did some reserch and found the answer almost right away.

So what’s happening in this clip?

The bishops are in a receiving line. Following protocol, the Pope is introducing them to German President Christian Wulff. The Pope, trailing slightly behind Wulff, has his right hand is extended—not toward the bishop in front of him, but toward the one in front of the German leader. It is a gesture of introduction, not an attempted handshake. Notice that when a bishop does seize the Pope’s hand, the Holy Father appears somewhat distracted; he is already introducing the next bishop in the line.

If you watch the video without preconceptions, you will see no tension, no hostility in the body language of those involved. Whether or not the bishops take his hand, Pope Benedict shows no reaction. He looks tired and distracted but definitely not surprised or offended.

This is a diplomatic ritual, in which the bishops are greeting Wulff, not the Pope. When you host a party, and you introduce one friend to another, you expect the two to shake hands, but you don’t expect them to shake your hand again as well. That’s roughly what’s happening here.

www.catholicculture.org...
I know it's from a Catholic source (oh dear!!) but it explains whats going on here...
Hope this helps

Edit: Also I watched the video again, and if you notice at the end of the procesion after the german president is done shaking hands, the Pope leaves with him. He doesn't finish the line himself. So if his initial intentions were to get handshakes himself he would have finished the line.
edit on 10/30/2011 by Racey because: Saw something

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by FortAnthem

They shouldn't be working to canonize JP II, they should be pissing on his unholy grave IMO.

ETA:

edit on 10/30/11 by FortAnthem because:

Unholy , Really? I'm pretty sure John Paul was more holy then alot of the other pope's seeing as how he came back from four gun shot wounds and massive blood loss.

I think of all thing things I would describe miraculous or holly , that would be somewhere on the top of the list.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:41 PM
link   
Dissention in the ranks. Dunno...
If they start buying american tanks, then I'll worry. Otherwise its just a mens club.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:50 PM
link   

Originally posted by Racey
Edit: Also I watched the video again, and if you notice at the end of the procesion after the german president is done shaking hands, the Pope leaves with him. He doesn't finish the line himself. So if his initial intentions were to get handshakes himself he would have finished the line.
edit on 10/30/2011 by Racey because: Saw something

May be he left with the German president because he didn't want to get more "no shake,please" It seemed that 80 % of them didn't shake his hand.
Another thing is, that if it's a tradition and they were not supposed to shake his hand, why some of them did shake his hand? Don't they know the rules?
And one more, I know you mentioned it, but the source is the last source I would consider as credible
They had to come up with something to explain the situation.
I am not saying that I am 100 % sure that it was done to insult him or show any disrespect, but I am still not convinced otherwise...
Thank you for the source though
Always good to know..

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   
Well, in the past they always expected you to kiss their rings. Same with the Bishops. Supposed to kneel down and kiss the rings of Saturn.
edit on 30-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:53 PM
link   
No minimal standards of courtesy, nor love at all, from the representatives of god in earth.

edit on 30-10-2011 by greenCo because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   
reply to post by quitesane

Ya and don't get me wrong they could totally be dissing him.
I say this because he is currently moving the church back to a state that is older and closer to the original mass. I believe the changes wil take place a in abou a month. Anyways I've herd though that germans are way more liberal than most countries (don't quote me on this) so they could oppose the changes that the Pope is making. Thus showing there dissaproval by not shaking his hand.
But either way I honestly don't think that the Pope is going to become anti-christ or anything... Now if he quits on his b-day next year, then we may have to be worried about a bad pope.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
One thing I forgot to mention: it's not even the fact that they didn't shake his hand what surprised and even shocked me...But the way some of them completely ignore him and don't even look his way. As if nobody is following the president. It looks like they are doing it on purpose.. and the way some of them are putting their hands either behind their back or on the chest right after shaking the president's hand....

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:45 AM
link   
cultural custom
This will explain everything, listen to the end :
www.youtube.com...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:15 AM
link   
lol I think half of them missed the rehearsal. They shouldn’t be shaking the pope’s hand at all.

Racy has it right, a few in line screwed up the formality’s

Kind of like the Aussies patting the queen on the bum as she walks past

Where has the etiquette gone these days, everyone needs to go back to finishing school.

edit on 31/10/11 by Whateva69 because: doh

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join