It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Amazing Archaeological Discoveries Recently Made in Jerusalem

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   
I often monitor new videos mentioning Israel and Jerusalem. I came across this video tonight. Very informative. Archaeology continues to unearth and confirm the Bible.

"A public persentation by Paul Billington (Bible Magazine Editor, Christadelphian) after visiting Jerusalem, Israel, showing remarkable recent discoveries made in the City of David. Includes a presentation of current findings by chief archaeologist Dr. Eilat Mazar and interview with her, both from the Jerusalem Conference. See for yourself thrilling new evidence which confirms the historical accuracy of the Bible."

edit on 30-10-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:45 PM
link   
reply to post by SuperiorEd

I tried watching it, but it's too long.
Can you summarize some of the findings for me? thanks.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
This is a very rough summary but, if you watch the video, it takes you through a tour of the ancient palace of King David as it is being unearthed today and the stuff they're finding in there. Solomon's palace was destroyed but the Bible says that David's will last forever. It mentions that the architecture of the building would have been far more advanced than anything else at the time, perhaps divinely inspired. It also mentions the prophesy that these ruins will be brought up out of the dust and the kingdom will ultimately be restored by King Jesus Christ.

That bit about the tablet concerning the names of several conspirators involved in a plot to kill Jeremiah (confirming the biblical account) was particularly interesting.

I also came across this article today, concerning a tiny Christian relic dated around 600 AD. I believe this was discovered in the same excavation. Made for an interesting read: news.yahoo.com...

God continues to reveal Himself in the humblest of ways.
edit on 30-10-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:38 PM
link   

Dear SuperiorEd
From SuperiorEd “thrilling new evidence which confirms the historical accuracy of the Bible."
Perhaps this should read parts of the Old Testament.
I have got to 30:47 and that is what it is going on about.
Nothing what so ever about Christianity.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:01 AM
link   
See, I always thought that tiny parts of the Old Testament could be real history (the rest being metaphorical morality tales of good and evil while obviously the New Testament tales of Jesus were copied from an Ancient Greek myth as we all know).

Pretty cool find, thanks for bringing it to our attention.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by MAC269

Dear SuperiorEd
From SuperiorEd “thrilling new evidence which confirms the historical accuracy of the Bible."
Perhaps this should read parts of the Old Testament.
I have got to 30:47 and that is what it is going on about.
Nothing what so ever about Christianity.

I'm assuming you mean Genesis 30:47, in which case, yes, you've made it as far as Christianity. Congratulations!

Genesis 3:14-15...

14 So the LORD God said to the serpent, “Because you have done this,

“Cursed are you above all livestock
and all wild animals!
You will crawl on your belly
and you will eat dust
all the days of your life.
15 And I will put enmity
between you and the woman,
and between your offspring[a] and hers;
he will crush your head,
and you will strike his heel.”

There's Christianiy in a nutshell.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:03 AM
link   
reply to post by Awen24

I assume those numbers were how far into the video he'd gotten to so far considering it's a 52 minute vid.

2nd

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:05 AM
link   
hahahaha.

My bad!!!!

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:13 AM
link   
The Bible is the spark notes version of the whole story. Anyone can put religion into a nutshell. But not God.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21
The Bible is the spark notes version of the whole story. Anyone can put religion into a nutshell. But not God.

The Bible is a collection of older myths from other cultures rewritten to fit the Christian ideal though. Some Greek, some African, some Chinese, some Egyptian etc.

I wouldn't put too much effort in using the Bible as the be all and end all of religious studies because to know the bigger picture requires reading texts, myths and stories from ALL cultures and religions. Even those way older than Christianity that were telling the exact stories you find in the Bible.

That will get you closer to God, if such a deity exists.
edit on 31/10/2011 by curious7 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   
Many of the parables, metaphors, lessons and prophets in the Bible resemble those of other cultures. If Christianity proves to be true then that doesn't mean other religions were wrong all the way through. You have to consider the plausibility that if these archeological finds indeed confirm biblical historical accounts, that the bigger issue to call into question is the claim that God lived among man in the body of Christ and rose from the dead. Produce the bones of Jesus Christ and the religion is done for.

Also, the Bible is a very spiritual book so naturally a lot of different people would relate to it. The Law of Moses is written in the very essence of our lives. There are natural consequences, in this physical form, to sin. It is no surprise to me that multiple interpretations of the same thing would have blended in to try and pinpoint what God is telling us. That said, the Bible is a very powerful book. Numerous authorities have tried to ban it. Some have burned it. And many Christians died to preserve it.

"In the beginning was the Word, and the Word was with God, and the Word was God. He was with God in the beginning. Through him all things were made; without him nothing was made that has been made. In him was life, and that life was the light of all mankind. The light shines in the darkness, and the darkness has not overcome it. "
-John 1:1
edit on 31-10-2011 by DarkKnight21 because: I just wanted to get as much Truth out as possible before you wrote me off as a religious zealot who doesn't know how to think.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 04:22 AM
link   

I would watch this but you seem on this hellbent mission to validate your religion.

For that reason alone, I will not watch it.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 05:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by DarkKnight21
....It also mentions the prophesy that these ruins will be brought up out of the dust and the kingdom will ultimately be restored by King Jesus Christ.

Does this mean that they have just stuffed up the prophesy?

Likewise them wanting to rebuild the temple. It's meant to be done by someone else. if they build it it is for nothing.

I'm picking an old scripture from a prophet was destroyed, as it mentions God nullifying the covenant with his people for killing Jesus. Nothing good came from anyone that killed one of gods prophets or messengers. Reading the Tanach/Old Testiment is full of times god's chosen 'hardened their hearts' and turned from god, got smacked down, and returned to be forgiven, killing jesus would have been the last straw. the destruction of the temple was when the covenant was broken for ever.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
I agree, while I think these discoveries are cool, and think they do validate the bible as a historical document, I personally don't feel that they are a confirmation of our christian religian. I personally feel that confirmation/validation of the christian faith should come from humble acts and sharing of faith in a loving, not intrusive manner. I love to see archaeoligical proof that things in the bible are true, and I think its a great tool to better understand our religion, but I try to refrain from using it as proof that our religion is the only true religion. Other religions also have archaeoligical references, so by saying that this evidence backs up proof that my religion is the only true religion, then I am saying that other religions with archaeoligical evidence are also the only true religions.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
reply to post by LightAssassin

So you refuse to watch simply because the man is convicted of his beliefs. Would you click the link if he half-assed everything he said? You won't donate 50 mins of your time to listen about scientific, archeological, concrete findings in recent times, simply because it supports and is presented from a Christian perspective that you are obviously biased against. Friend, it sounds like you are the one that is hellbent on ignorance.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by LightAssassin

I would watch this but you seem on this hellbent mission to validate your religion.

For that reason alone, I will not watch it.

The video is very interesting and provides more evidence that the Bible is what it claims. This is my passion in life. You are correct. God has transformed my life in countless ways and this is something worth sharing.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CitizenNum287119327

No, I don't think so. It is my understanding that they are just excavating the ancient civilization that was once there, not trying to rebuild it. Though I wouldn't be surprised if God used these people to bring certain things to light.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:04 AM
link   

Originally posted by remyrange
I agree, while I think these discoveries are cool, and think they do validate the bible as a historical document, I personally don't feel that they are a confirmation of our christian religian. I personally feel that confirmation/validation of the christian faith should come from humble acts and sharing of faith in a loving, not intrusive manner. I love to see archaeoligical proof that things in the bible are true, and I think its a great tool to better understand our religion, but I try to refrain from using it as proof that our religion is the only true religion. Other religions also have archaeoligical references, so by saying that this evidence backs up proof that my religion is the only true religion, then I am saying that other religions with archaeoligical evidence are also the only true religions.

I agree with what you are saying. Humble acts of sharing faith in a loving manner is a good way of expressing this. When God created the seven continents, each continent has something to share for the world as a revelation from God. There is no doubt in my mind that Rumi the Sufi knew God. Buddha and Confucius have valuable information for us as well. History is filled with men and women who have insight into the divine. I have spent my life examining as much as I can get my mind around. It all leads back to the culmination of the human experience within the pages of the Bible. It's not about which religion is correct. They all have something to share with us. Even satanism is a valuable perspective. We can learn from dark examples as much as those from the light. Perspective is what this life is all about in preparation for the next.

Anyone who bothers to have eyes to see will not stop until love is realized as the ultimate truth. This message comes to us most clearly from the pages of the Bible. Jesus defined love for us in ways we would have never understood apart from His demonstration of it to our minds eye. No greater demonstration of love has ever been witnessed by mankind than this.

When is it our responsibility to act on knowledge or do something that needs to be done?

This is a question I ask in my classroom each year. The answer is this: It is our responsibility to know or do at the moment we know and see. When the call for action comes across our mind, it's time to act. Action takes us from one place to the next. Why make choices in life unless they are the best choices possible? The best possible choices are those that serve others. The Bible's central message to mankind is this message. Any other act is meaningless apart from acting for the greater good of humanity.

As far as sharing this message in an intrusive manner, the subject judges. The object delivering the message can be confused with the subject. This is why Christians are so easily confused with the message they deliver. Seeing duplicity in others comes form comparing the message with the one delivering the message. We are all sinners, so it is often easy to point out the difference. This does not change the message. It confirms it. None of us can meet the standard here in this world.

edit on 31-10-2011 by SuperiorEd because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   
OP, have you watched this video yet?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
Well I think you just about hit the nail on the head there, Ed. I would agree with your seven continents theory as well, as far as South America is concerned we know the Mayans were enlightened to certain truths that other cultures were unable to see or interpret themselves. Antarctica is a little tougher to back up, though.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join