It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

My Local shop has banned its staff from wearing poppy`s , surely this is against the law .

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
HANG YOUR HEAD IN SHAME POUNDLAND, SENDING STAFF HOME FOR WEARING A POPPY!!! IF IT WASN'T FOR THE MEN AND WOMEN OUT THERE AND THE MEN AND WOMEN LOST, YOU WOULDN'T BE SITTING IN YOUR POXY SHOP. BODYSHOP HAVE ALSO BANNED STAFF FROM WEARING POPPY'S,........SET THIS AS YOUR STATUS IF YOU SUPPORT OUR TROOPS.....POPPYS ARE NOT SECTARIAN FLOWERS .....WEAR YOUR POPPY WITH PRIDE !!!!!!!!!!

This is something i wanna share with you guys on ATS so can anyone fill me in on why they would do such a thing ???
aye was born on 11/11 so i have always remembered to appreciate the lives lost on both side of the conflict ! .

What ever the political view you share ,these soldiers were sent to there deaths and always should be remembered for the sacrifice and horrors they had do endure .

Id would imagine there will be some kinda of back lash towards this shop for instance if a catholic or jew or a 9/11 remembrance person at work was told to remove whatever way they chose to respect the event would it be well with in their rights to do so .that shop that is ? .

11/11/11 will be peace on earth even if its just one day !
edit on 30-10-2011 by shambles84 because: (no reason given)

edit on 30-10-2011 by shambles84 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
sorry none of your vids posted...and please do share the significance of poppies... that has no meaning to me, what does it stand for?

vid posted now thx
edit on 30-10-2011 by CaDreamer because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   
I completely agree with you! My Father
was a Vet - I will wear a poppy if I so
desire!

Did the shop even tell you why you
cannot wear a poppy - I just don't
get it.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
they tried that here in N.I , dident work out well for them, and within 12 hours they have a new policy of that its up to the staff now, after calls to boycott the store.
edit on 30-10-2011 by michaelmcclen because: grammar

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   

edit on 30-10-2011 by michaelmcclen because: double post please delete

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
No idea what a poppy is. Sorry. In the united states you wear whatever they tell you to wear. I support the idea that they're deciding what you can and can't wear.

Most people feel that if they're giving you the almighty paper to do a task, that also means that they dictate what you wear. It's not right, but from what I understand the dress codes at jobs are lax over there.
edit on 30-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

A poppy is a symbol of the great war (poppy fields) and the british legion who helps all ex servicemen in times of need.
donations.britishlegion.org.uk...
We buy one and the procede's goto them.

To the OP tell your mate to goto the press they will have a field day with this.
I understand not allowing religous stuff at work but these fellas fought in ww2 and every war since then.
Tell the press and hopefully poundland will have to give a large donation to save their face.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend
No idea what a poppy is. Sorry. I also don't really care. In the united states you wear whatever they tell you to wear. I support the idea that they're deciding what you can and can't wear.

well ... a poppy is a flower ,its away of showing respect to people who died in WW1 and WW2 , people who fought and died for our freedom if the Germans had been successful the world would have been a total police state !

you actually support the fact a place of work can dictate what you can and can not wear , for instance would Mcdonald`s be allowed to tell one of its staff to not wear a turban ? i don`t think so

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:33 PM
link   
u2u me with your shop name and location. I will send them an email telling them I read on facebook they are NOT patriotic. I will also tell them if what I read on FB is really their policy, I will do everything I can to get a movement going to boycott their place of business, including writing to their local media outlets.

I will keep you, and how I really heard of this travesty out of anything I do.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:34 PM
link   
reply to post by shambles84

Mcdonalds would fire you for not following dress code. You must wear their hat, or leave. I never said it's right, I'm just saying that you should do what they say or find another job. Private establishment is not a democracy.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   

A poppy is a flower that is worn on the shirt or blouse
to honor fallen soldiers on Veterans Day. The work place
telling people to not wear a poppy on that day are
not honoring veterans of their country. It has nothing
to do with fashion that the work place has a right
to tell you if you can or cannot wear. Its like an
employee telling you that you can't wear your
wedding or engagement ring because it would
show that you are engaged or married (example
only). An employer has no right to do this IMO!
edit on 30-10-2011 by crazydaisy because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
We wear poppies in America to remember our wounded and fallen veterans. it is a symbol that has been longstanding. My father was wounded three times in Korea. I wear a poppy on veterans day for a reason.
For those who do not know the origins, and have not seen video on it take a look at the history of this thing.
any business or entity that refuses to recognize our veterans for their service is most certainly out of step with understanding the sacrifice our servicemen have made. Refusing to let anyone display the object of our admiration for the fallen to me is a travesty.
Take a look at the history of this:

en.wikipedia.org...
DH

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   
reply to post by shambles84

i learned so much from your post

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Destinyone
u2u me with your shop name and location. I will send them an email telling them I read on facebook they are NOT patriotic. I will also tell them if what I read on FB is really their policy, I will do everything I can to get a movement going to boycott their place of business, including writing to their local media outlets.

I will keep you, and how I really heard of this travesty out of anything I do.

Excellent, I like your spirit - I might write a complaint letter myself and will also contact the media. I need confirmation that this story is true though (no offence OP). If it is true, it's disgraceful.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Budget retailer Poundland has been forced to review its dress code after a row erupted on Twitter and Facebook following claims that it had banned staff from wearing remembrance poppies.
In a statement on Facebook, Poundland said it was not against employees wearing a poppy, but they were not allowed to do so on the shop floor because it is not part of staff uniform.
But the company said today that it will now allow workers to 'use their own discretion in wearing poppies' after hundreds of customers threatened to boycott its stores.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   

Maybe in america but here in the UK they changed the Law, against our human rights,they can't make you wear anything.
But at the job interview they normally put it in the contract about the dress code.
I have read of a guy who sued a bar because he said he didnt agree to wear brace's with a load of badge's on and they fired him, he took em to court and won.
Also same about guys with long hair, I had an interview and i had shoulder length hair, at the interview a guy said you will have to cut your hair, I had noticed that one of the first nurse's I met had long hair, so I asked him why and he said to look smart blah blah blah, so I told him "ok I will see you in court" and walked out about 3 hours later a manager rang me up saying that it shouldnt of happened and the job was mine ...told him to stick it.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:43 PM
link   

you are seriously missing the point and are uninformed , its well with in your rights to wear anything with in reason and hygiene laws a mean its only pound land ! so a catholic can not wear a cross to work or a mason cant wear his ring or a Muslim must shave ? you for real ?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
Meh, your boss is probably a Celtic fan.

I think your making it up frankly, there is no policy at the Bodyshop to ban poppy's and never has been and Poundland have reversed their decision.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
I would be surprised (although maybe I shouldn't be) to learn that there are Americans ignorant of the symbolism of the poppy. But as to why the shops are banning it? That's easy, it looks like fear of Muslims, take a look at this article Muslims burn poppies. While the British push "Help for Heroes," Muslim groups have set up a competing demonstration - "Hell for Heroes."

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join