It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Occupy Oakland protesters call for city-wide strike

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:33 PM
link   
Nice. A strike will bring the government to change, not protests. Protests haven't changed anything since it started. Time to try strikes.

What would be nice are nation-wide strikes till Washington DC BEGS the people.

Occupy Oakland protesters call for city-wide strike

Oakland activists are promoting a general strike across the city Wednesday and urging other "occupy" groups across the nation to organize similar job actions.

The Occupy Oakland website says the local strike "will be a collective city-wide action against the corporate domination over every aspect of our lives and against the growing gap between the rich and everybody else."

The group is planning a march to the Port of Oakland to "shut it down before the 7 p.m. night shift." The port is the fifth busiest in the United States.

I expect epic confrontations between cops and protesters...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:47 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I'm not sure this will ever happen. Part of the problem is that if you have a good job and life, the system is fine. When you don't have that, it's broken. When we get the people to stop thinking entirely about their situation, and start thinking about others, then we might see this happen. Or if enough people are doing badly.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

I'm not sure this will ever happen. Part of the problem is that if you have a good job and life, the system is fine. When you don't have that, it's broken. When we get the people to stop thinking entirely about their situation, and start thinking about others, then we might see this happen. Or if enough people are doing badly.

Unfortunately you hit the nail on the head. It's still too early for all the workers to give up their livelihood over corruption. Most likely there will be some people joining the call, but even then the government will find ways to shut things down before any real progress is realized. I expect cell phone and internet to be interrupted at any time to try and break up the organization of occupiers.

What I find interesting is the response it will cause with people who are currently unaware of the movement. Once they see the illegal tactics taken by the government they will understand that things are out of control and the people have lost their voice. I find it curious that those who have jobs now and ignore these events eventually end up joining the ranks of protesters once the security they thought they had acquired is yanked from their grasps.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:31 PM
link   

A lot of kids would like to walk out of school. I hope they go.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 09:06 PM
link   
It seems they have shutdown the Oakland port, just as they planned.

Watch it here

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   
Just saw a car ran over 3 protesters... what the hell... Some source say one is dead...

new topics

top topics

join