It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Most Powerful Laser to Tear Vacuum of Space

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:18 PM
link   
call me crazy but WHY are we doing things when we don't have a clue what their consequences will be. AND, even more to the point, why spend gazillions on it when there are people on this planet who have nothing to eat and nowhere to live. i despair.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:21 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Yes, I did . I am just saying that if enough energy could even be focused onto one area it would punch though the dimensional barrier. I am hopping this thing does not have that much power. I hope they never are able to build something with that much power.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:22 PM
link   
reply to post by ladyteeny

They know exactly what the consequences will be... the strong electric field will hold apart particles that would otherwise annihilate each other long enough to detect them. Ironically, this experiment prevents the part that goes 'boom'.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by fixer1967

Enough energy to punch through the dimensional barrier?
We're not dealing with energy here, we're dealing with force, which causes acceleration...it doesn't tear holes in space or anything (who in their right mind takes the phrase "fabric of space" literally anyway? It's not nylon). And I'd love to know why you think there's any sort of extra dimensions, let alone a dimensional barrier.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Plus, even a large number of particles annihilating would result in an insignificant energy release, in the form of gamma radiation. There's no danger.

Tell that to the Hulk

referring to your most recent post, depending on what you mean by energy I think it will require a lot of that too

The Ultra-High Field laser will be made up of 10 beams, each twice as powerful as the prototype lasers, allowing it to produce 200 petawatts of power – more than 100,000 times the power of the world's combined electricity production – for less than a trillionth of a second.
The huge amounts of energy needed to produce a laser beam of this strength is stored up over time before it is fired to produce large laser beams several feet wide that are then combined and focused down onto a tiny spot, much like sunlight through a magnifying glass.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   
reply to post by g0dhims3lf

That's 200,000 J - hardly significant.
And, again, this energy goes into creating an electric field, which is a force.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

According to Einstein, energy and matter are different forms of the same thing, so when matter and antimatter annihilate each other, they actually create energy.

Full Article w/Video

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Do you have a point in posting that? It's true, of course, but what's your point?

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

My point is that we are always dealing with energy, given not nearly enough to punch through the dimensional barrier but dealing with it none the less.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:40 PM
link   

Indeed. Energy is everywhere. The universe can, and will always, generate more energy than Man ever could.

Now...I wish I knew where people kept getting this imaginary "dimensional barrier" from.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:50 PM
link   
reply to post by CLPrime

Well DBZ of course lol Dimensional Barrier

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:51 PM
link   

Of course...I should've known.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 06:53 PM
link   
Supposing for a moment that there are extra higher dimensions of space.... There is no invisible barrier separating us from them. What would keep us from observing these "extra dimensions" would be our relative scales.

There is more than one theory trying to use extra dimensions to explain various anomalies in the standard model. Such as the weakness of gravity and the presence of the so called "dark" astrophysical anomalies. (Matter, energy, and flow.)

Im not going to say I am versed well enough in either prominent theory to explain it in understandable detail but suffice it to say were talking sizes on the Planck scale. Far smaller than we can observe without very very very powerful tools. If they are out there we arent bared from them by some mystical barrier. We are just to large to observe them and for most people (myself included) it is hard to even imagine the size scales we are talking about. Around 1/1000 of a protons width.

Physics at these scales are extremely difficult to get your head around. Even the most prominent players in the world of higher dimensions such as Ed Witten openly admit to not having anywhere near a complete working understanding of their own models.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 07:48 PM
link   
reply to post by libertybgordeal11

yes. I feel dark matter should be called dumb matter. It's our retarted so called scientists that are holding on to dinosaur ideas playing with toys. This dumb matter is the sum total of how far off we really are. I wish the universe would selectively smack the stupid physicists. Most are tards. Some are cool.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:14 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

i'm no expert either, but empty space to me seems like water. Just like our water, but oh so much smaller. I call it sub water. What do bubbles in water like to do? Come together. Our atoms in our view are energetic enough to cavitate the sub water. As a proton is added to an element across the table, the radius actually gets smaller. In school they claim it is due to the larger chunck of positivity pulling the electrons in closer. My belief is that einstein was wrong. He said you can not go faster than the speed of light. This implies that you can go slower. I believe everything goes one speed. If your body is at rest in a car and you smash the accelerator, you are pushed back against your seat due to the one speed rule. By moving forward, you try to make your atoms go faster than the one speed. The universe says that cannot happen, so, all your atoms are forced to slow down as you move. The direction of the slowing is inertia. One speed. God speed.

posted on Jun, 22 2012 @ 08:15 PM
link   
reply to post by constantwonder

So the reason in my mind that the elements get smaller as protons are gained, is due to the one speed rule. This atom has more energy so the universe crushes it smaller to maintain one speed.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join