It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The mysterious X in GoogleEarth and what it really(!) means

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+19 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   
Ok folks, after reading so many threats here about YU55, Elenin and the big red X in GoogleEarth I thought that it is time to clear some things up. I'm working a lot with GoogleEarth and I'm coding software working with kml files and all this stuff.

So first some basics about GoogleEarth:
- You can add your own content to GoogleEarth (called GE from now on). This can either be a simple placemark or complex data. You can put all your stuff in a kml file to distribute it to other users.
- In a kml file you can place placemarks, pathes, images or overlays to change/enhance the projection. For example you can add some nice cloud images or whatever.
- If there is an error in the kml file and a picture for an overlay is not found a placeholder for the missing image is displayed. This placeholder is a BIG RED X to indicate that there is an error.

If you now have a look at this mysterious (to be honest this file isn't mysterious at all) kml file mentioned in all these threats there is an overlay specified with the file name 11133.kml. As there is no path information any software (in this case GE) search for the file in the current working directory. In your case this might be your desktop or whatever. As there is no 11133.jpg file GE displays this X.

The creator of this kml file just don't know how to create correct kml files. So you can blame NASA to be a bit stupid if it comes to kml files but that's it. Just add the same path as the kml file in front of this jpg and you will get this image:

Now it's obvious that this is an overlay for Mars and not for Earth. So please add this path and change to the Mars to see a simple ans normal overlay. Absolutely nothing special here.

If you have some questions about kml files or how to create your own have a look at the Google help located on the GE page or ask here. Maybe you always wanted to arrange your data (places you visited or places you would like to link to an URL...) in GE?

A link to a KML tutorial can be found here at Google.

edit on 30-10-2011 by UnixFE because: Added link to tutorial

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:45 AM
link   
Rather than make ANOTHER thread on this, maybe you could of posted this in one of the many threads on this subject already?

Just a thought.

It's like people are obsessed with being thread starters!!!

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
Very nice debunk! I was unaware of the "X" phenomenon, but I have seen when you direct GE toward space, there are missing patches of image that there has been a lot of talk about Nibiru or an inbound body that the officials do not want us to see. Would that be the same explanation even though there's no "X"?

S&F as you've obviously put some effort into finding explanations for this little mystery.

+12 more 
posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:53 AM
link   
reply to post by welshreduk

Well, maybe this does require its own thread. If you just post it in one of the existing ones, only a relatively few people will see. I, for instance, was extremely bored with this subject and stayed away from any such threads. It's refreshing for me to see some new and useful information that might finally shut up a bunch of nattering idiots....

ETA: Also, it's useful information in its own right. Thanks and good work to the OP.
edit on 10/30/2011 by Ex_CT2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   

I found this X mentioned in so many threats now that I had to add it in at least 25+ threats. I thought it would be better to make a new as I noticed that many users here don't read others posts. They just read the first lines of these threats ('Elenin and the X..') and post their stuff at the end. They just don't read all the other comments and wouldn't see my note about a malformed kml file.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:57 AM
link   
It is entirely appropriate to start this as a thread in itself, as this "phenomenon" crops up as "evidence" in many threads across many forums. This thread can serve as a reference when needed. Star and flag.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:11 PM
link   

Thats kinda one and the same with ATSers calling other ATSers out when it's really not worth the responce.

See what I did there? Hahaha

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
This is a viral topic all over the net and here on ATS. There's a nice explanation with images on chani.

thechaniproject.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
Thank you for trying to calm everybody the hell down.

Unfortunately, it will be ignored and you will be id'd as a disinfo agent because your truth contradicts their super-effed up desire for a cataclysmic event.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by UnixFE

IMHO the primary reason for the " red X" error in KMZ / KML files is people creating GE overlays - using files stored in ` random locations ` - then preforming a files tidy-up

GE cannot search for image files - it relies on the pathway it was given - so when a file is moved - the overlay is broken - and GE displays the ` red X `

the solution is of course simples - always put image files you intend to use for GE overlays in a dedicated file folder - and NEVER move / rename / delete it

simples solution to GE overlays
edit on 30-10-2011 by ignorant_ape because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:51 PM
link   
I saw those X's long ago and I never had a file location. I was just cruising the earth and saw X's and thought that is weird.Then continued my exploration. So why would they show up when you were just randomly cruising the earth? I have no KML(sp) files on my google earth. I only have my home address

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by outandopen

There are several layers build in GE that may be activates in your installation. You can add a kml direct into GE with a kml file on your computer or as a network link. A network kml file is nothing more than a kml file located on a server n the net and loaded into GEs memory each time GE is started (or each x seconds etc). All these layers build into GE like buildings, weather, Panoramia are just kml files located on a server. If there is an error in this file or your network a linked image in on of these layers is not available you will see this also.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   
hmm couldve been added files, but i know ive seen them without adding any of my own files, JS...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 10:32 PM
link   
Yup, this subject definately needed its own thread for reference purposes.

S&F

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:49 AM
link   
I for one am happy for the new post. It's very specific and will be easy for others to find now. Being able to find an answer on page one is much better than page 10.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:17 AM
link   
I might need to do more research but I'm quite sure that's where R'lyeh is located, and at an unknown date... at an unknown time... from that very residence, the great monstrous of all evils and the exalted wondrous of all gods will be extricated upon this beautiful, innocent, world and man will be devoured, ravaged, and dreadfully ... soullessly indulged upon as if it was some unknown cosmic protocol of the worst of romanced envisagement. The name that shall never be spoken allowed for the sake of humanity or what little we have left... High Priest of the Great Olde Ones... "Y'knath gthu'n'ullha k'th'ryggki y'leth k'yi mrrh'ungha shabu'll'yeh, p'knoi ng'rea pgrn'thywla wrr'ingen q'rhi g'rrneth phta'lyagn dbnat SUV, plg'n hfrn'ngaah." ... the '___' of horror... CTHULHU!!!!!!!!!!

"Cthulhu is a monstrous entity who lies "dead but dreaming" in the city of R'lyeh, a place of non-Euclidean madness presently (and mercifully) sunken below the depths of the Pacific Ocean. Cthulhu appears in various monstrous and demonic forms in early myths of the human race. Racial memory preserves Him as humanity's most basic nightmare. Cthulhu is the high priest of the Great Old Ones, unnatural alien beings who ruled the Earth before humanity formed, worshipped as gods by some misguided people. It is said that They will return, causing worldwide insanity and mindless violence before finally displacing humanity forever."

"I wish I had just one erg of alpha-band energy for every time someone told me they were convinced Dick Cheney and I were the same person. I mean, sure, there's the pure evil thing and all, but I'm so much better-looking." - Cthulhu

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 01:59 AM
link   
Thank you for the explanation, but it really pisses me off!!!!

I was hoping to take a few days off from work after this mysterious event occurred, now you are saying it was human error and nothing is going to happen?!?!? Well doesn't that just bite the big one!!!!
First comet Nibiru fails, now this! Next we are going to find out 11-11-11 and 12-21-12 are just dates on a calander!!!!!! What is this world coming to when you can't even count on a cataclysmic event.

Just kidding folks.

Seriously ty for the explanation.
edit on 31-10-2011 by kellerphoenix because: misspelling

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:05 AM
link   
reply to post by MikhailBakunin

what are you on dude?

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshreduk
Rather than make ANOTHER thread on this, maybe you could of posted this in one of the many threads on this subject already?

Just a thought.

If you really wanted to help then you could've posted a link to the other threads discussing the true origin of the big X. And if you're talking about one of the old elenin threads or the newer YU55 threads, I doubt everyone is going to check the same thread every day of their life for new information, so why bury new info in a thread where it won't be seen by as many people. And besides, if you're not a mod or a site admin, its not really your job to tell people what they can and cannot do. If you were truly concerned, don't you think that the best course of action would be to simply alert a mod rather than waste space with a post that contributes nothing to the discussion at hand? If wasting space is your concern, why are you doing the very thing you portend to oppose? Why post in a thread that you are not interested in contributing to... Wait a minute... It's obvious from the actual TITLE of the thread what this is about, so, why even CLICK on it??? Now I'm really confused, because to the average observer, it would seem that you were interested in knowing the information offered by the OP... So... Is it that you are a fear monger and were disappointed that the answer offered by the OP was not conspiracy related? Or, did you actually take the time out of your seemingly not very important day to click on this thread JUST in order to bitch? Wow... I really hope its not that. I mean, I am not trying to say you are a loser with nothing better to do than actively seek out petty confrontations, but, well... I'll just let your actions speak for themselves..........

Thanks op for clearing this up, although I'm sure it won't convince all as the X seems to match up with the map of the tsunami training excercise that I'm sure someone has posted by now. If your explanation is that it was a mistake, well, it could be said that it was an intentional mistake in order to get a message out. Especially since noone has seen one of these before as far as I know, which admittedly isn't much *grins sheepishly* I do however appreciate your efforts and will give them due consideration when deciding whether or not to run for the hills on Nov 9th... Oh, who am I kidding, I'm far too lazy to actually do anything about it...

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 02:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by welshreduk

Just a thought.

27 Flags and quite a few stars not bad for a relatively boring thread about an X ( no offence but I for one never thought the X would have anything but a simple and pretty obvious explanation). Slow news day

top topics

<<   2 >>

join