It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

existing of one bomb to destroy the world

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by Klepto
the only time I could understand that this would occur is if a fanatic could benefits by their own demise and the demise of the result of civilisation. I am sure there are extremists out there like that, but this would have to be an extremist who has access to the correct science to accomplish this - a Mad Scientist if you will.

Exactly. You all should be glad to know that I don't have the knowledge or capability.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 12:55 PM
link   
This reminds me of the old Planet of the Apes movie where the underground dwellers blew up the world with the cobalt bomb the US made as the ultimate wepon just before the apes learned to talk and take over the world.

The cobalt bomb in the movie melted the earth. Although the distruction of earth is unlikely IMO, I can see where an H bomb using cobalt could kill all life on earth. The half life of cobalt 60, the radioactive form of cobalt produced in a nuke explosion would if used to transmit fallout, have a half life of 5.26 years. I think a two stage cobalt nuke weapon with say a 30 meg yield would come close to killing everything because the wind could produce a global highly radioactive fallout over 5 years. Maybe not though.

Here's a quote from infoplease:

"The theorized cobalt bomb. is, on the contrary, a radioactively �dirty� bomb having a cobalt tamper. Instead of generating additional explosive force from fission of the uranium, the cobalt is transmuted into cobalt-60, which has a half-life of 5.26 years and produces energetic (and thus penetrating) gamma rays. The half-life of Co-60 is just long enough so that airborne particles will settle and coat the earth's surface before significant decay has occurred, thus making it impractical to hide in shelters. This prompted physicist Leo Szilard to call it a �doomsday device� since it was capable of wiping out life on earth."

[edit on 2-9-2004 by TexasConspiracyNut]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:39 PM
link   
The Israli's are supposed to have cobalt collars for some of their weapons, ostensibly to use on Arab oil fields - not to mention render the middle east radioactive for a very very long time.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Perhaps we dont understand the topic really.

I waswatching the history channal once, and it said that there are nukes that when detonated, could put out enough output, that there would not b a single living thing left alive on the planet. that can alsoequal destroying the world rite?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   
Wow, my previous post to this topic appears to be missing, maybe it was a power outage ......

Yes, they do know how to extinguish all life on the planet. They have the research data as to what it takes to start the Thermo-baric Nuclear reaction capable of consuming all the oxygen/nitrogren and Hydrogen in that is present in the atmosphere. A high enough self sustaining heat source ie Nuclear Fission Plasma if released under the right circumstances could consume the atmosphere, leaving the planet to bake under cosmic rays from the sun and suphocating all life on the planet.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 06:00 PM
link   
Didn't the Russians at one point have plans to build a ship that was a big nuke and have it patrol the worlds oceans in case they were going to lose in a nuclear exchange w/ the US? I think I heard about it on the History Channel but i could be wrong. It was supposed to throw enough fallout water into the atmosphere that the earth would be uninhabitable. The Russians decided against the idea thankfully.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by NashKat]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by NashKat
Didn't the Russians at one point have plans to build a ship that was a big nuke and have it patrol the worlds oceans in case they were going to lose in a nuclear exchange w/ the US? I think I heard about it on the History Channel but i could be wrong. It was supposed to throw enough fallout water into the atmosphere that the earth would be uninhabitable. The Russians decided against the idea thankfully.

[edit on 2-9-2004 by NashKat]

I sae the same show, here's a thread :

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 10:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by rai76
Last night I was speaking with a friend and he tried to convince me that that it is possible with current technology to develop one bom that can destroy earth. I told him that I couldn't believe that, but he was pretty much convinced. He told me that they could or maybe already build a nuclear bomb that can destroy everything.

Is this true....does for example the US have such a bomb and president Bush only have to push the button?

Mod edit: typo in thread title

[edit on 2-9-2004 by Spectre]

The U.S. doesnt have such a bomb. Russia may. They are ahead in nuclear tech than the U.S. But i still doubt it. They dont have the technology yet. But theyre working on it!
Doesnt it just make you so happy that half the world has weapons wich could destroy us all maybe even other planets if strong enough?

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:05 PM
link   
People, it has been proven that even if "alll" the powers who have nukes, would shoot at eachother there would be still enought people to populiate world again. (in fact, Ruskiie scientics calculated that only 20million people would die in Russia in case of nuclear attack).

The whole "we all are gonna die if there is nuclear exchange" is some cold war bias.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:15 PM
link   
Well the nuclear winter its self is enough to wipe out a significant amount of the population. Not to mention the fallout would kill millions on its own. Then figure a good portion of the Earth is now contaminated inculuding much of our water supply. The initial strike would eliminate the majority of the population. Then fallout kills even more people. And then comes nuclear winter. Ok so either way a lot of our resources are now either dead, contaminated or destroyed. Then we would probably be looking at some nasty climate changes as a follow up to the nuclear winter. And any kids who are born afterwards will probably end up with severe birth defects making them incapable of survival. So even if humans can breed we probably can't survive for very long. But non the less we would become either extinct or reduced to the stone age.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by cyberdude78
Well the nuclear winter its self is enough to wipe out a significant amount of the population. Not to mention the fallout would kill millions on its own. Then figure a good portion of the Earth is now contaminated inculuding much of our water supply. The initial strike would eliminate the majority of the population. Then fallout kills even more people. And then comes nuclear winter. Ok so either way a lot of our resources are now either dead, contaminated or destroyed. Then we would probably be looking at some nasty climate changes as a follow up to the nuclear winter. And any kids who are born afterwards will probably end up with severe birth defects making them incapable of survival. So even if humans can breed we probably can't survive for very long. But non the less we would become either extinct or reduced to the stone age.

That whole "nuclear winter" is biased too, made up to scare people about nuclear war, there are some good docs. what correct this one but you should find enought info with google too.

Yes there would be some climate changes, but not a nuclear winter.

Yes, we would be at the stoneage again, but we could get used to it (we have to), and the most dangerous fallout will be off in 2-5 years.

EDIT : Some links what i found :

www.compsoc.man.ac.uk...

[edit on 3-9-2004 by Beast]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:32 PM
link   
if you were to create antimatter and have about one square mile x one square mile of the stuff and then let it go to work you could pull it off.

however, when it comes down to it, you would need one hell of a device to contain the antimatter.

good luck!
like the first reply stated. how would anyone benefit from this. you friend needs to lay off the weed.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:57 PM
link   
Google cobalt bomb.

A half life of 5.26 years. If they were to use this in a bomb if they haven't already done it, it would wipe out all life. Cobalt 60 would produce gamma rays that would be able to get inside the deepest of caves. After 5 years of it there would be no place to hide.

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join