It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Sikh denied job for refusal to shave beard awarded $295,000

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:51 PM
link   
www.foxnews.com...

California is settling a lawsuit filed by a man who was barred from becoming a prison guard when he refused to shave the beard required by his Sikh religion.

Civil rights groups accused the Department of Corrections and Rehabilitation of religious discrimination.

Notice the article says other applicants still must shave. Isn't that discrimination??

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sat Oct 29 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by Make Speed Limit 45

If only everyone else that wanted to practice individuality through style could do that, we might actually have an interesting society.
I get so mad when I have to take out my piercings everyday for work. Lame!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:02 PM
link   
I need some California lawyers.

They say they will take pretty much any case, no matter how frivolous.

I have a lot of work for them to do.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
Good for him.

but I have to laugh at the fact that he also got a decent job in addition to the 295k. LOL
edit on 29-10-2011 by My.mind.is.mine because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   
That's odd because my friend Ramy works as a Corrections Officer in Chino and he is Muslim and is permitted to grow a beard because of his religion.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   

You know, I'm normally pretty left-ish, but these kinds of stories drive me crazy. If the job requires a shaved face, and your religion requires a beard, and, if your religion is more important to you than the job, then don't apply for the job. Leave it for someone else. It's not discrimination, it's a safety issue. Seriously! It's so that your gas mask will work properly.

Jobs I won't apply for, because of my personal ethics: anything in a strip club, insurance company or stock trading company. I have no religion, and therefore can only object to those companies on an ethical basis. Not for me, and that's all. It would never occur to me to blame the company because working there wouldn't fit my lifestyle. I can't believe he won that award.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:10 PM
link   
You have a right to have a beard if your religion requires it. You don't have a right, in my opinion, to violate very reasonable policy to fit your religion of choice. Get a different job.

If my religion forbade me touching meat, it's MY problem that I can't get a job at a slaughterhouse, NOT the slaughterhouse's problem.

If my religion forbade me from talking to people, then it's MY problem that I can't get a job as a customer service rep, NOT the company's fault.

This kind of crap is ridiculous, and really pisses me off. You don't have a right to dictate policy to your employer just because of your religion. Your religion is your choice, and if you want to follow one that makes you have a beard, then you don't seek work at places that don't allow beards, it's just that simple. Your rights are not being violated, you can practice you religion, you do not have a right to work absolutely anywhere you want.

I don't have any experience or education in the medical profession, do I have a RIGHT to be a doctor if what I have to offer doesn't match the requirements of the job? NO

This guy is an idiot. I hate people like him who take advantage of the system, tie up the courts with crap like this, and cost us all money by their lawsuits which arise from THEIR problems, not other people's problems.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by TopherWayne
That's odd because my friend Ramy works as a Corrections Officer in Chino and he is Muslim and is permitted to grow a beard because of his religion.

What's odd? That's just what the article says. Muslim guards are allowed to have a beard if they wish, but non-muslims must observe the rule of no beards. California calls that fighting discrimination.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:14 PM
link   
What has happened to "sense"? I'm not going to make any friends here by saying I really, truly can't wait until the day one of those well-intentioned, pacifist inmates grabs his beard and shows him why you don't have one as a guard. I will laugh myself silly.

/TOA

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by James1982

This kind of crap is ridiculous, and really pisses me off. You don't have a right to dictate policy to your employer just because of your religion. Your religion is your choice, and if you want to follow one that makes you have a beard, then you don't seek work at places that don't allow beards, it's just that simple. Your rights are not being violated, you can practice you religion, you do not have a right to work absolutely anywhere you want.

I think most americans feel that way. But this is california and that never has been part of america. They keep handing out money for crap like this and soon will be bankrupt and get a bailout from the rest of us.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   
reply to post by Jebbaroo

Not to mention that prisoners will now have something to grab onto. Some of these rules are there for a reason. Now when a prison grabs his beard and cracks his head to the side or lowers him to the ground, he will sue for being injured on the job.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
California needs to fall into the ocean.

Originally posted by nixie_nox
reply to post by Jebbaroo

Not to mention that prisoners will now have something to grab onto. Some of these rules are there for a reason. Now when a prison grabs his beard and cracks his head to the side or lowers him to the ground, he will sue for being injured on the job.

Actually, if the rule were only protecting him it might not be a rule. During a prison riot every guard is important and they work as a unit to maintain order. Now if we have one assfaced Sikh get curb-stomped because he wouldn't shave, it jeopardized everybody else.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Sunsetspawn

This is true. Though I wasn't thinking of anything quite on the scale of rioting, everyday motions are now vulnerable.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:04 AM
link   

Yes, it is discrimination. A beard in a prison is a safety issue (I know people that work in prisons), and allowing him one is flat stupid. If one's religion doesn't jive with the safety rules, they should go elsewhere. This is as nuts as those women complaining that they were "discriminated against" because they were not allowed to wear a head scarf on a roller coaster, and possibly decapitate themselves or others if one came loose.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:44 AM
link   
Pretty sad decision considering CA is not a right-to-work state.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jebbaroo

You know, I'm normally pretty left-ish, but these kinds of stories drive me crazy. If the job requires a shaved face, and your religion requires a beard, and, if your religion is more important to you than the job, then don't apply for the job. Leave it for someone else. It's not discrimination, it's a safety issue. Seriously! It's so that your gas mask will work properly.

Jobs I won't apply for, because of my personal ethics: anything in a strip club, insurance company or stock trading company. I have no religion, and therefore can only object to those companies on an ethical basis. Not for me, and that's all. It would never occur to me to blame the company because working there wouldn't fit my lifestyle. I can't believe he won that award.

I think it's also because the beard gives a potential attacker something extra to grab onto during combat. If a situation erupted, he would not only put himself in danger, but he would be potentially unable to assist in protecting his fellow officers if he were easily "taken out". Same reason the military makes you shave your head, I believe....

This reminds me of people who purposely slip and fall so they can sue the owner of the property.

top topics

join