It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UBC used nearly 212,000 research animals in 2010

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   

UBC used nearly 212,000 research animals in 2010

news.ca.msn.com

Newly released data from the University of British Columbia shows the institution conducted research involving nearly 212,000 animals in 2010.

“[It’s] shocking,” said Vincent. “UBC has maintained over the last year and a half or so that they experimented on about 100,000 animals a year and yet the data released [Friday] for 2010 shows that the number of animals used at UBC has doubled.”
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
More from article:

Vincent said those procedures involved experiments causing stress, severe suffering, or even death to animals.

But Burt said the schools acts humanely.

“Every animal, if its anticipated that there will be painful procedure, they are administered anesthesia or pain medication,” she said.

Yeah, just great.

I never really understood why so many animals must be tortured and sacrificed for our benefit. Most of the time, animal testing results in nothing productive.

According to the article, UBC conducts only 6% of such animal testing in Canada. 212,000 animals being 6%. That means over four million animals used for research testing per year in Canada alone.

Anyone else disagree with this??

news.ca.msn.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:42 PM
link   
Nope, would rather burn the skin of a rat than a human. Sorry.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by w00ter
Nope, would rather burn the skin of a rat than a human. Sorry.

Why would you need to burn anything living? Psychopathic much?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
As a misanthropic dog, I completely agree this is #ed up.

Then humans wonder why they get abducted by aliens.
edit on 29-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

I'm not sure why we can't open the gates to humans who want to volunteer for these jobs. Many people would like to die but do not have the conviction to do it themselves. Why not just let them die for an animal's benefit? Many of them would do it.

Animals are more civil and caring than human beings nowadays. Stop killing them.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:54 PM
link   

I do, it is something that should be done under their far more advanced technologies, they have no reason to involve conscousness any more in tests as they clone any part they wish. I believe in advanced sciences but do not believe in harming and we have the technology buried deep, to not harm. So its the will of the corrupt mismanagers to lower the earth frequency as much as possible and cause countless suffering, in order to secure low frequency connections to the negatives they serve.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

No, we might actually have to force them, this is also bad.

Maybe we should think about why, exactly, do we need a mass animal kingdom genocide the likes of an equivalent of an apocalyptic event to understand how to drug our kids enough so that they don't bother us while we're watching Fox News?
edit on 29-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:04 PM
link   

Sweet more science! I mean, what exactly is your evidence showing that the research hasn't saved that many human lives? It's one thing if they are testing and killing animals for better deodorant research or something, but people need to set "ethics" aside for some things. People are so pig-loving, that genetic research in cloning is hard to come by, though it would solve so many problems if we just gave it a shot.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Evolutionsend

I'm not sure why we can't open the gates to humans who want to volunteer for these jobs. Many people would like to die but do not have the conviction to do it themselves. Why not just let them die for an animal's benefit? Many of them would do it.

Animals are more civil and caring than human beings nowadays. Stop killing them.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Evolutionsend because: (no reason given)

Yeah great idea man,but when we run out of volunteers why not use all the rapists,paedophiles and junkies!!!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
You might have missed this bit:

Every animal, if it's anticipated that there will be painful procedure, they are administered anesthesia or pain medication,

...hmm??

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
THe more threads on internet forums that expose animal cruelty the better until one day we will cease hurting the most defenceless and trusting .

I get so down it hurts when I think about what we do to dogs and cats. monkeys, cows, sheep ect, like many people I wish we could just ask God to intervene.

But perhaps he is through people like the OP who alert the world to the fate of millions of souls in animal bodies.

I think cruelty goes on because we are shielded from it we don't see it so we don't care.

The more threads that put the reality in our face the better, even if it only saves a few animals.

One day we may all wake up and love animals as ourselves.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:06 PM
link   
There is a Cruelty Free festival in Sydney, Aus right now next to Central Station. Still time to pop down for those who still care about the other inhabitants of our planet.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhysicsAdept

Sweet more science! I mean, what exactly is your evidence showing that the research hasn't saved that many human lives? It's one thing if they are testing and killing animals for better deodorant research or something, but people need to set "ethics" aside for some things. People are so pig-loving, that genetic research in cloning is hard to come by, though it would solve so many problems if we just gave it a shot.

Read "Animal Liberation" by Peter Singer. It details exactly why the majority of animals sacrificed for scientific research died arbitrarily.

I think some research with animals is important, such as when we first sent dogs and apes into space before humans. However, there is nothing beneficial from chemically burning out the eyes of thousands of rabbits to test new shampoo, or testing how long cats or dogs can survive in a glass cage under an intense sun, and so on.

In fact, due to the competitive nature of capitalism, competing corporations have carried out the exact same experiments for the sake of their own corporate research. The book that I mentioned states that while animal testing has been conducted inhumanely in other countries, it is in capitalist countries where the testing happens exponentially more.

Originally posted by Aloysius the Gaul
You might have missed this bit:

Every animal, if it's anticipated that there will be painful procedure, they are administered anesthesia or pain medication,

...hmm??

I actually quoted it. Perhaps you missed it.

I don't see how that makes it better. The torture is still conducted, regardless if the animal is drugged or not. And it is humans who do the torturing.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:21 AM
link   
Well for the people that don't want animals being used....the scientists would much rather have you to work on if it wasn't a problem. Animals and people win.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:47 AM
link   

Oh so you are upset they were given meds to dull the pain?? So you wanted them to suffer? Now I'm confused... Besides maybe you missed the bit where I said

"It's one thing if they are testing and killing animals for better deodorant research or something..."

That's where I was showing the sympathy you so desperately were searching for. I have no problems with animal testing unless it is for dumb reasons like the ones you stated. Just because they are being administered pain meds doesn't mean they are being tortured either. In fact, that seems to me to have more TLC than maybe even necessary. How many thousands, hundred of thousands, of dollars are spent on drugs to keep your dying animals healthy every year? Pets are pets... and animals are animals... I respect them but hold myself as a higher priority.
edit on 30-10-2011 by PhysicsAdept because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:16 AM
link   
Gotta break a couple of eggs to make an omelette. This is best for mankind in the long run. I do, however, don't think testing should be done on domesticated animals such as dogs and cats. That's just weird.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:58 AM
link   
Honestly OP,

the millions of people that line up for vaccines each year - that shocks me more....

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:17 AM
link   

Totally agree! times many millions.

By the way, previous poster said he will rather burn the skin off a rat than a human. If you are making a product surely common sense should prevent such chemical concotions! The skin is delicate and nothing synester should even be considered for making cosmetic products.
It is because the power companies are always trying to find a new way for new, so they have to complicate things by making 'new' complicated products.

(We always ask for simple solutions to life's questions. When we get simple ones we get confused - Brad Brown)

It is appalling what we do to our fellow creatures on this planet. Disgusting. And yah, I give myself permission to say so because I am strickly vegetarian (no meat, fish or eggs or fowl) and avoid milk products as far as I can. Was brought up like this, so many many years of this lifestyle. Not vegan yet, but working on it.

Hell, the arogance of it is a disgrace. Makes me hate having to admit that I am part of the human specie.

Until we uplift our moral, social and sprititual values, all the economic bull will stay exactly that. Bull. And no amount of protesting will advance us to a better way of living. It will simply be replaced by something simular or worse.

Come on MANKIND! Be a (hu)man! Be kind!!!

Pull yourself towards yourself and get a heart if you dont have one. Feel for others for a change. Especialy the animals.

This place makes me sad.
I dont care if you call me a troll or whatever. I really dont give a flying fiddle.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:28 AM
link   
think how many people that would of fed.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join