It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

#OWS founding father was Murray Rothbard:IMHO

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:03 PM
link   
From the Wiki on Murray Rothbard: en.wikipedia.org...

Rothbard advocated abolition of coercive government control of society and the economy.

Sounds very much like the OWS screed to me.

He considered the monopoly force of government the greatest danger to liberty and the long-term well-being of the populace, labeling the State as nothing but a "gang of thieves writ large"—the locus of the most immoral, grasping and unscrupulous individuals in any society.

Still with us?

Rothbard was equally condemning of state corporatism. He criticized many instances where business elites co-opted government's monopoly power so as to influence laws and regulatory policy in a manner benefiting them at the expense of their competitive rivals.

Like government bailouts of the big banks perhaps. Was Rothbard right on the money there or what? OWS this is your founder.

He argued that taxation represents coercive theft on a grand scale, and "a compulsory monopoly of force" prohibiting the more efficient voluntary procurement of defense and judicial services from competing suppliers.[7][14] He also considered central banking and fractional reserve banking under a monopoly fiat money system a form of state-sponsored, legalized financial fraud, antithetical to libertarian principles and ethics.[15][16][17][18] Rothbard opposed military, political, and economic interventionism in the affairs of other nations

Here is where this Jewish economist and Ron Paul are married on the intellectual level. You can see after reading this why Ron Paul will not condemn OWS like so many other republicans have. It is because their founding principles were espoused by his mentor and friend Murray Rothbard. The intellectual founder of the OWS and the Ron Paul revolution in my opinion.

edit on 29-10-2011 by wayouttheredude because: added source

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:44 PM
link   
That's why I also have issues with condemning such a general protest event.

Although I think there are many better alternatives to send a message, I won't speak down on those who choose to partake in such an event.

I am happy that people are speaking out and voicing their grievances.

I realize that a lot of media organizations go to these events and pick out the most extremist and inflammatory individuals in order to portray everyone else in that light, so I am not easily convinced by such tactics.

I mainly want justice, something that is in short supply these days.

join