It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Tell me one good reason why we shouldn't be happy for the rest of our lives?

page: 6
<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   

Originally posted by Manula
reply to post by Frira

Frira wrote:

Gee. You must be in love.

Here is your one good reason:

* Suffering.

Others do it even if you do not.

What you need is a good dose of reality to open your eyes. The death of a best friend often does that for me; but for most humans even a good house fire destroying a complete stranger's hopes, dreams and memories can help.

Where is my stuffed Eeyore when I need it?

Nothing can control my feelings if i don't want to. Maybe i want to feel bad sometimes to know how it feels, to empathize, but its not really a bad feeling because you are trying to understand someone, you are doing good, and although you feel what others feel, it feel right inside, you feel good at a very deep level because its a good cause.
Its like a pregnant woman giving birth, it hurts but feels great because even hurting, she is doing something great.

Don't take this personally, but if you think you have control over your feelings, you are delusional.

Your examples were about empathy-- but not your own suffering, not your pain, not your own grief.

How are things in make-believe land?
edit on 30-10-2011 by Frira because: trying to get my original post back in fro context

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

Too many lives at the mercy of your emotions and now you don't believe there is other way. But there is.
Have you ever heard of budhism?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Frira

You cant control the emotions that arise but you can control what to do with them.
Turn darkness into light, the emotion is telling you something, there is something to do, maybe you must have a better attitude, maybe someone needs your help, maybe it is a situation of danger, use your emotions wisely, don't be used by them. If you do this you are emotionally mature, you are in control.
Why don't you meditate on it, maybe the answer will come.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

You are jealous of someone, you are aware you say: OMG im jealous of him, but its so stupid, that's why i don't want to go visit him and say congratulations. Thats so stupid, i should be happy for him. Yup, thats it, i am happy, i am going to pay him a visit and say congratulations.
Turn darkness into light.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
reply to post by NiNjABackflip

Another example: OMG iam going to be fired and iam terrified (the moment of awareness)
But its ok, i can still be happy, its my actions that count, not what happens to me, so i will do my best in that situation (relaxing)
Turn darkness into light

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
I think it is positive that you are changing your opinions, even if you don't realize it yourself.
That must mean some part of you is learning something, even if you are still supressing it.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by TheGrandWazoo

But we can still control our emotions right? Because we can transform them into positive vibes.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

you're studying the kabbalah, right?

well then I am very surprised to hear you say that this is "your reality".

sounds to me like you are begging for your next big divine smack-down.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:05 PM
link   

reply to post by TheGrandWazoo

But we can still control our emotions right? Because we can transform them into positive vibes.

You can't change one emotion to another. You can either,

A) reflect on why you are having this emotion and then you can maybe learn something about yourself. This new insight can spawn new feelings, maybe one of these emotions are pride, maybe one of these new feelings are a sense of wonder, or something entirely different.

B) you can choose to ignore and supress the emotion, and continue without learning anything, being happy or unhappy or whatever you choose to call your indifference.

C) do something different entirely. I don't know what this should be but I'm open to anything. I don't know everything. I know very little. But at least I admit this

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:09 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

what you are describing here is not "happiness" as in the common usage, which is very much based on the success rate of any given persons externalized values.

it follows, then, that if what you are feeling IS IN FACT "happiness", you are in need of a reassessment of your position.

otherwise, I suggest you come up with a better word.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   

reply to post by Frira

Too many lives at the mercy of your emotions and now you don't believe there is other way. But there is.
Have you ever heard of budhism?

A young man saw a stranger hiding along a path at night. He watched from a distance because he knew that his neighbor's daughter often used that path to return home each night. After an hour, the young girl did come down the path, and the stranger grabbed her and took her deep into the woods to assault her. The young man, seeing this and being ready, ran and confronted the stranger and saved the girl.

Years later, the young man was now a father and one day, the father's beloved children were kidnapped. The father searched for them. He found them, once. He tried to save them, but the kidnappers were powerful, and the father was defeated. The father went back home and told his neighbors, and asked for help. None listened. None helped. He never saw his children again and his wife lost her mind.

Now the man's neighbors who would not help, have invited him to a party to celebrate the gift of a child just born to them.

Describe, for me, the man's happiness.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:29 PM
link   

reply to post by Frira

You cant control the emotions that arise but you can control what to do with them.
Turn darkness into light, the emotion is telling you something, there is something to do, maybe you must have a better attitude, maybe someone needs your help, maybe it is a situation of danger, use your emotions wisely, don't be used by them. If you do this you are emotionally mature, you are in control.
Why don't you meditate on it, maybe the answer will come.

I agree with that. You feel what you feel-- that is, we cannot control our feelings-- we can only choose what to do, or not do.

I have meditated and do meditate on this often.

The answers, in part:

* I will love persons who do not love me, not because it makes me happy, but because I pay attention to the love I feel for them.
* I will fight for a stranger, not because the blows I receive make me happy, but because I know what it is to need another and to find that I have no one.
* I will carry the necessary load of another, not because it makes me happy, but because I can carry it and know that the other cannot.

In short, my very full life is full because I have not considered happiness its goal; but, instead, love, sacrifice, purpose, meaning, wisdom, and truth I value far more.

Have you ever heard of Christianity?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
Manula..I think you started this thread with very good intentions.. and that is what is important..

I may have taken the message the wrong way at some point, because it felt like you were telling people that they shouldn't allow sadness , and suffering into their lives, when it is quite impossible not to.

Feeling sorrow and sadness is often a sign of showing love.. and compassion..but I agree that wallowing it in can be very counterproductive to doing something about it, or allowing ones self to move on.

If you are trying to help people , and mean no judgement on the sorrow of others.. I applaud you for caring enough to try and help people be more positive.

edit on 30-10-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by Frira

reply to post by Frira

Frira wrote:

Gee. You must be in love.

Here is your one good reason:

* Suffering.

Others do it even if you do not.

What you need is a good dose of reality to open your eyes. The death of a best friend often does that for me; but for most humans even a good house fire destroying a complete stranger's hopes, dreams and memories can help.

Where is my stuffed Eeyore when I need it?

Nothing can control my feelings if i don't want to. Maybe i want to feel bad sometimes to know how it feels, to empathize, but its not really a bad feeling because you are trying to understand someone, you are doing good, and although you feel what others feel, it feel right inside, you feel good at a very deep level because its a good cause.
Its like a pregnant woman giving birth, it hurts but feels great because even hurting, she is doing something great.

Don't take this personally, but if you think you have control over your feelings, you are delusional.

Your examples were about empathy-- but not your own suffering, not your pain, not your own grief.

How are things in make-believe land?
edit on 30-10-2011 by Frira because: trying to get my original post back in fro context

I think the op meant it in the way that you have control over how you react and deal with those feelings.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
I dont have time to keep this up: just try to be positive, dont stick to bad emotions, if you want to help someone you dont have to be negative, just be aware of your feelings and try to turn darkness into light.
Hope this thread had some good, the intention was to help.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

I am happy, for the rest of my life. Why not?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   
reply to post by gabby2011

Thanks for your words. I did try to make people think, including myself, maybe i was to radical but it worked if it made people meditate on this so important subject.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

YES!!! Mission accomplished. We have all learned something.
I'm happy about that

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Manula

This is just an utterly stupid post. Being happy all the time is not a blessing, it is a curse. Optimistic people are good for certain things, but pessimism and sadness have great advantages. Abraham Lincoln suffered immensely from depression and that helped him to remain grounded and focused on the horrific task handed to him.

Secondly, not everyone can be happy. Mental illness is a real thing, and it is often not curable. It is a combination of genetics and environmental conditioning. I feel you're almost telling people who are pessimists or the mentally ill to just get over it. What good is it to be happy when millions of people around you are dying and being exploited by cowards, sociopaths, and monsters. Get a freaking clue and drop that whole new age schtick.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
reply to post by heckyeah

I agree I work in mental Health and I see it every day at work from one guy who just laughs all the time to the woman who just try's to hurt herself all the time.
Its's all about a balance, its not good for someone to be sad or happy all the time.

top topics

<< 3  4  5    7  8 >>

join