It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

9-11-11: Asteroid YU55 May Hit the Moon! - How would this affect Earth if happens??

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Antoniastar

Originally posted by ignant

reply to post by ignant

Ignant, thank you very much for posting about this topic.

S&F

What if an asteroid the size of YU55 impacted our moon, what would that look like, be like?

Could pieces of both the asteroid and the moon hit the Earth?

Haven't found a video that shows that yet.

BTW, don't know if it matters but my last name used to be Uy (for six years) and lately I've been seeing double numbers a lot more than usual.

Maybe I'm reaching too far, just thought I'd share my thoughts.

Uyy,

my last name is Yu-Lim

whats it means??

Um that is Uy with one 'y'.
I don't know what Yu-Lim means. Do you? Is your name Korean? Uy is Chinese.

nope im adopted

but my foster parents tried to keep both my biological mom n dad alive in my family name

thru hyphenation

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:19 PM
link   

Originally posted by Unity_99

Originally posted by Misterlondon
richard c hoaxland? the man who claimed martian moon phobos is a spaceship, elenin was a spaceship and the Norwegian spiral was caused by nazi officers that escaped into space after WW2.. (among many other wild theories)

If i can give you one bit of sound advice.. take what that guy says with a grain of salt and certainly never use him as a source around here, if you want to be taken seriously..

Spaceship means can move. Base is stationary. Can bases move.? Maybe. Do you know this personally, what is a base, and what is a craft? I'm not sure he does, unless he has inside information, but I don't think you do either.

edit on 29-10-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

what are you talking about? where do i mention bases there??

and reading your other posts you are defending him saying he does good work..
either you are richard hogland or you are deluded... i have been listening to this guys wild claims for many years now, and none of the has ever been correct or accurate..

good knows how this guy gets on the top billing at these conferences... people like him cause more harm to this field of interest than they do good..

but.. maybe thats the point??

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Evolutionsend

Sorry i wouldnt trust NASA they have a record of covering up things.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Agent_USA_Supporter because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:38 PM
link   

Originally posted by Misterlondon

reply to post by ignant

S&F

What if an asteroid the size of YU55 impacted our moon, what would that look like, be like?

BTW, don't know if it matters but my last name used to be Uy (for six years) and lately I've been seeing double numbers a lot more than usual.

firstly if it hit the moon.. its wouldnt smash the moon into pieces..

secondly.. believe me youtube videos are not the best place to get your answers..

and finally.. i seriously doubt your surname and the fact that you see double numbers is a sign of the of doomsday

please for your own benefit dont believe everything you read on the internet, especially by anonymous users on a conspiracy website.. there are far to many people fearmongering around here, and if you take a note of the names, you will see a pattern emerging and wild claims on every end of the world thread.. no matter what the scenario is..

for now all we can go on is official credible sources and they all say there is no danger at this present time, now;; as with anything, there is always a chance, but as i say credible scientists claim it will be ok and thats all we should be going on.. until anything (credible) to the contrary should arise..

Hi MisterLondon,

Firstly, okay, that's good. I'm glad 2005 YU55 won't hit the moon.

Secondly, I believe you. Youtube vids are fun to watch but they're not the best place to get answers.

And finally, here is where your serious doubt becomes my serious heads up. I am not claiming that this is the same for everyone, but for me I find that I am being guided with signs, many of which include personal information, like my name or my SSI number or my birthdate, etc. These signs are meant as confirmations that I'm on the right path. Though I do leave room for coincidence and dead ends, even at times that I find personal info involved. It all depends on the over-all picture or circumstance, etc.

For example, my father's middle name is Horace and reminds me of Horus..."one of the oldest and most significant deities in the Ancient Egyptian religion, who was worshipped from at least the late Predynastic period through to Greco-Roman times". en.wikipedia.org...

Without paying attention, I Googled "Horus" at 9:22 p.m. . That's normal for me. But I won't bore you.

Besides, I'm straying off-topic.

As far as credible sources on the Internet, or anywhere else for that matter, I don't care if someone is a scientist or a manager at a grocery store. Most scientists testify according to dictation, they are mouth-pieces for the Controllers blah blah blah.

I am probably the least guible person you'll ever come into contact with.

I do luv to explore possibilities and suspend my beliefs so that I can learn what I need to learn.

If the moon is really moving away from YU55 as Nov. 8-9 approaches, like the movie.gif below shows, then I know I'll sleep pretty good.

2005 YU55 Trajectory
edit on 29-10-2011 by Antoniastar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by smurfy

reply to post by ignant

S&F

If it hit the Moon it would be more damaging than hitting the Earth, as there is little or no atmosphere on the Moon. The estimated crater on Earth would around 5 miles, (you could consider that as a devastated area) from the degraded asteroid. I think it's true to say that the asteroid will be closer to the Moon, something like 0.0016.. AU. Earth 0.002.. AU
edit on 29-10-2011 by smurfy because: Text.

Hi Smurfy,

Thank you for answering my question!
I shall give more thought to your answer.

Ta ta,

Toni

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 09:49 PM
link   

Originally posted by ignant

Who do you believe, NASA or this Richard C. Hoagland fellow?
I'm going with NASA.

^ really, NASA? why have they been taken over, and forced to sign NON DISCLOSURE docs, with DHS Homeland Security which is now FEMA?:

NASA is now virtually an annex of Homeland Security/FEMA:

www.findthatfile.com...

edit on 29-10-2011 by ignant because: LINK

Thank you, I did not know that. Very interesting. Why do I feel like I'm a mouse being swallowed by a snake?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by pazcat
reply to post by Antoniastar

I think you're peobably right.

Well I don't know if I'm right or not but I wouldn't be surprised in the least if I were. Not bragging here, just sayin that I think there is more to our world than we see.

BTW, I was in a bit of a hurry with my earlier post and need to credit the statement I made. I found it here...

www.youtube.com...#! @ 2:57

Yeah Hoagland and his Comet Elenin spaceship is funny now hahahaha but we're not all right all of the time. That doesn't automatically make him a non-credible source or mean that he's wrong all of the time.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
I certainly don't believe Hoagland. Especially after that Elenin Space ship statement, but if you want to get a clear picture about what could happen if an object large enough hits the moon, you should definitely read, "Life as we knew it." It's a book written for teens that my son recommended to me.

"Told through journal entries sixteen year old Miranda describes her family's struggle to survive after a meteor hits the moon, causing worldwide tsunamis, earthquakes, and volcanic eruptions."

en.wikipedia.org...

Many local libraries carry it in paperback and digital format on-line.

I might just download it tonight to get a fresh listen.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:00 PM
link   
SCIENCE & PHYSICS time!

Mass of the Moon = 7.36 × 10^22 kilograms or 7.36 × (10^22) kilograms = 8.11301125 × 10^19 short tons (ten to the 19th power) with a mean orbital velocity of 1.023 km/s (Orbital as in around the Earth) Which is a 'frame' speed. (Frame as in you look at its speed from the pov of another object.)

However, since it shares the same planetary orbit around the sun, you can say it's true 'frame' speed, is closer to that of the Earths in relationship to the SUN.

The Moon's frame speed, in relationship to YU55, is the same as that of the Earths. +/- 1.023 k/ms

Mass of YU55 = 55 million tons it's traveling at 30,000 miles an hour.

It'll make one heck of a divot 'if' it hits, but it will not have enough mass or velocity to knock the Moon out of it's orbit. Could it make it 'wobble'... That depends on the angle it hits.

The Moons over all acceleration and mass is way greater than YU55's mass and acceleration, even with a perfect direct head on 'hit', the Moon has the greater over all mass and velocity. Of which YU55 is the equivalent a glass ball impacting a semi at the same speeds. Impressive, potentially messy, but not enough to stop the speeding semi, much less enough 'shake' to make the semi notice. The driver on the other hand of the metaphorical semi would likely freak out more....

It is going to be spectacular if it -would- hit, but the moon has no atmosphere unlike Jupiter so there will be no long growing trails before/during and 'long' after a hit. How fast it cools will also determine any secondary visible effects.

Now if it hits at an angle and kicks up a shower of debris the Moon might have it's own 'ring' for a while. Or we might see some of it 'shower' the Earth, over time.

Odds on it killing us?

Too low to freak out about.
(Not that it's likely to hit the moon, but from the physics stand point... awesome.)

M.

edit on 29-10-2011 by Moshpet because: edits

edit on 29-10-2011 by Moshpet because: 42

edit on 29-10-2011 by Moshpet because: Jeeze would you look at the nuts in the 2012 thread?????

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 12:56 AM
link   
reply to post by Moshpet

Oooooo I luv physics and science!!!!

Hey though what if the moon was hollow (that would change your mass equation) and what if it was an extraterrestrial base? A 55 million ton 'roid would be one mean cue ball, no? Especially with a class-3 player holding the stick.

Even knocking the moon a teeny-weeny out of orbit could mean no more Starbucks for me.

edit on 30-10-2011 by Antoniastar because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:10 AM
link   
Well if YU55 by remote chance hits the moon at least I won't be anyway near a coastline or a faultline.

The Day The Moon Was Gone

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:42 AM
link   

Yeah Hoagland and his Comet Elenin spaceship is funny now hahahaha but we're not all right all of the time. That doesn't automatically make him a non-credible source or mean that he's wrong all of the time.

How many times does one need to not be right to make them a non-credible source then?
Hoagland opens his mouth and the guy is wrong.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   
reply to post by ignant

I hope it's got a permit......if it's near the no fly zone it will be shot down.
sorry just had to.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
This is all very interesting, and just a little scary. YU55 is (according to the NASA and JPL) a 400 a meter-sized, C-type asteroid. Can you imagine what this is going to look like from earth if it does hit the Moon? All I can say is grab your popcorn and drag out your lawn chairs. It’s going to be one hell of a show!
But all this made me think about one thing. If it does hit the Moon, a lot of debris from the impact of the asteroid is going to be thrown out into space at a very high rate of speed. So, what we should be worrying about, if anything is not the asteroid itself but the ejected debris from the Moon’s surface that will be heading toward Earth. Even if the impact on the Moon doesn’t send ejected debris directly at earth, we will at some point pass through the debris field.
But in my opinion, there is an awful lot of “what if’s” involved here. I guess all we can do is sit back and wait.
S&F’s for the OP.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   
I actually hope it does hit the Moon..not for catastrophic reasons which won't happen as explained by the poster above..the Moon being too large to be greatly affected.

For me this is an opportunity to see exactly what the composition of the Moon is....i hope cameras and spectrograph's are rolling if indeed we are about to witness a great impact.

Cosmic...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
I actually hope it does hit the Moon..not for catastrophic reasons which won't happen as explained by the poster above..the Moon being too large to be greatly affected.

For me this is an opportunity to see exactly what the composition of the Moon is....i hope cameras and spectrograph's are rolling if indeed we are about to witness a great impact.

Cosmic...

I never said that it was going to affect the Moon, be catastrophic or affect its orbit. I know that is impossible. All I said is that it is going to throw up a lot of debris form the surface from the impact. This is basically the same thing you said. Read it again please.
Meteorites from impacts on the Moon have made it to Earth before. Meteorites have even made it to Earth all the way from Mars due to impacts on the surface there.

Moon rock found in Antarctica

University of New Mexico researcher Barbara Cohen now knows for certain that the rock she found while trolling the barren Antarctic landscape is special.

Meteorite found in Antarctica could help round out picture of Mars

Scientists think that a pound-and-a-half hunk of rock found in Antarctica last December will help fill in the picture the Mars rovers and orbiters are painting of a planet that could have known life.

edit on 30-10-2011 by mikemck1976 because: Added links

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:38 PM
link   
I don't latch on to apocalyptic theories very often (or at all really), but the fact remains that something very bad IS going to happen one day or another (99.999% probability). Instead of running around like a chicken with its head cut off, perhaps this rock should be widely publicized as a wake up call to humanity that we live in a fragile little "snow globe" of sorts.

We are intelligent and we DO have the tools to prevent disasters. Tornadoes for one could easily be dissipated through various methods, all the same as a space rock. The technologies we use to wage war against one another fit perfectly in place to defend us from things other than ourselves.

Tornadoes: Fuel air explosives. Had a SAM battery been near Birmingham, Tuscaloosa or Joplin fitted with a missile designed for disrupting the downward flow of air into the funnel, thousands of lives could have been saved. I imagine the value of a thousand American lives is worth at least one missile battery, seeing as two thousand or so are worth a ten year war. This is not the first time this idea has been brought up, but no one is pursuing it. (2)

Space rocks: Lasers, nuclear reactors in orbit (Tip: Point them outward). The continuation of the human species seems like a good enough incentive to put a nuclear reactor and a high powered laser in space to push rocks around. As soon we get over the fear of putting nuclear reactors and materials in orbit, as opposed to oh... say here on Earth where we live, what is that saying? "Don't # where you eat".
edit on 30-10-2011 by RSF77 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:54 PM
link   
we will just have to see on that date, the asteroid is gonna be stupid close though obviously. Then again there are a lot of potential threats every day, anything could happen imo.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
reply to post by mikemck1976

Chill-out mate , i never said or implied that you were a "catastrophist" OK.

Obviously i was referring to those who are !

Try reading my post again before you blow another fuse.

Cosmic...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   

Originally posted by Cosmic4life
reply to post by mikemck1976

Chill-out mate , i never said or implied that you were a "catastrophist" OK.

Obviously i was referring to those who are !

Try reading my post again before you blow another fuse.

Cosmic...

Lol I always get the urge to post whenever I notice an overreaction, misunderstanding, etc... But it happens soooo much on ATS, its like, what's the point...? It would be a full time job! I've noticed its caused some people to be verrrry careful with their words... To the point that conversational enjoyment is decreased. Kinda sucks, but, oh well... I guess its to be expected when discussing such controversial and world changing/ending events!

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join