It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Ultimate Survival Tool?

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
According to Jeff Randall the ESEE Lite Machete is the best Survival tool there is on the market, of course its his company so his opinion is biased, so I want to know what you guys think about it. Has anyone handled or owned this Machete before and if so whats your opinion on it? I just recieved it in the post and havent had the chance to get to grips with it yet.

Thanks for your comments

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by Dionisius

It might come in handy for carving your way through dense wooded areas. Why you want to waste all the time and energy though?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:27 PM
link   
How is that the ultimate survival tool??? Its a knife

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
I got one a few months back and they have a lot more use's than just cutting down stuff, watch this guy he has a load to teach you on the ways of the machete

www.youtube.com...

about 13 vids but its worth watching them

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
I think you'd want a machete, a knife and a hatchet, maybe an axe.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
The ultimate survival tool is lots and lots of duct tape, man.

It's like the force, and you can totally make bridges out of it, too!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
The ultimate survival tool is what people already carry and didn't cost them a dime.

Your mind.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
I'm not familiar with this particular machette, but I do have several machettes, and value them greatly as a day-to-day tool, as well as a potential survival tool. Something that I've found is that a razor sharp machette is actually less effective that a merely sharp one. A machette that has weight cuts more efficiently through a variety of foliage -- at least in the hands of a person who can use it. I personally don't fancy the extra-long machettes, because they are too flexible, and part of the effectiveness of a good machette is a sharp edge combined with blunt force, sort of like an axe.

Although a bit pricey, I'm pretty fond of my Woodsman's Pal Premium machette. With leather sheath, about $100 with shipping. I use it a lot when blazing a trail through uncut bush. For everyday use, I use one of various cheapies. Most of them I sharpen with a fine file. The quality of the blade steel is important -- too soft and it's easy to sharpen, but quick to dull. All of my 'cheapie' machettes I've sharpened the top 5" of the backside of the edge, so when I'm chopping close to the ground, I won't sweat it if I happen to hit a rock and put a nasty nick in the edge.

I personally believe that machettes are fairly underrated as a survival tool. Consider having to pack a cutting tool for several miles. Yes, I might carry a lightweight saw or saw cable, but a good machette can hack through almost anything faster, and you can carry it in a scabbard/sheath hooked to a backpack and that makes for fairly rapid deployment as well as comfortable carry.

I'm not yet to the point of carrying a "Book of Eli"-type blade, nor do I posess the full skills depicted in the movie's choreography, but I could see it as a very effective weapon in the hands of a skilled person, especially where silence and stealth are necessary.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:42 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Cheers man, I've got a free sunday tomorrow so will be checking these out

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Got my Gransfors Small Forest Axe, Mora AllAround and now my Machete.

Purrrrfect

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   

In my opinion, a knife is the most essential survival tool there is. With it, you can pretty much make anything else you need in the bush, but it's really hard to make one that is effective (stone blades don't work for chopping for example). Having tested quite a few blades in the woods for various applications, I'd have to say that the most effective is the Kukri for heavy use, and the most versatile is the Bushman Bowie. A traditional machete is far surpassed in usefulness by these two blades. I highly suggest you check them out and do some research into their various advantages over a machete or hatchet. Don't spend more money than you have to on a blade. You really can get a knife that will do everything you need it to for under $30.00.
Also, I should add that I'm not trying to promote a specific vendor by linking to the manufacturer's website, in fact, I'd highly suggest buying one from an alternative seller on Amazon or Ebay or the like, as you can get these blades for even less through them.
If you have any questions about these or other similar blades, feel free to ask.
Edit to add: If you do consider getting one (or both) of these blades, I'd suggest looking into an alternative sheath. The blades are of incredibly high value, but the sheaths will not stand up to abuse at all.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Q:1984A:1776

In my opinion, a knife is the most essential survival tool there is. With it, you can pretty much make anything else you need in the bush, but it's really hard to make one that is effective (stone blades don't work for chopping for example). Having tested quite a few blades in the woods for various applications, I'd have to say that the most effective is the Kukri for heavy use, and the most versatile is the Bushman Bowie. A traditional machete is far surpassed in usefulness by these two blades. I highly suggest you check them out and do some research into their various advantages over a machete or hatchet. Don't spend more money than you have to on a blade. You really can get a knife that will do everything you need it to for under $30.00.
Also, I should add that I'm not trying to promote a specific vendor by linking to the manufacturer's website, in fact, I'd highly suggest buying one from an alternative seller on Amazon or Ebay or the like, as you can get these blades for even less through them.
If you have any questions about these or other similar blades, feel free to ask.
Edit to add: If you do consider getting one (or both) of these blades, I'd suggest looking into an alternative sheath. The blades are of incredibly high value, but the sheaths will not stand up to abuse at all.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Q:1984A:1776 because: (no reason given)

100% correct. People who practice and have a clue have discarded the Machete and Kukri for the Bushman and the Bushman Bowie. By adding an 18" handle to the Bushman is becomes 25% more effective at the brush chores. 8' shaft makes it a devastating kill stick for silent trapping. Carbon steel blade is easily kept razor sharp with little effort. Agreed. The sheath need to be lined leather.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
how about a tool that can make fire.. a warm fire you can use for life giving heat and making food.
if you need a knife you can always make one out of wood with a flint

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

I agree as you can see in my sig, but I believe having a Variety of Tools is just as Important. Granted If I could have just one tool with me in a 'Situation' it would be a Knife.

I've looked into the Cold Steel Bushman Bowie but have been put off by the handle, again one of Randalls the ESEE 6 is a beauty of a knife if a bit on the pricey side but you get what you pay for.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Vandalour

Good point, I have one of those badboys attached to my keyring so carry one with me 24/7.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   

I use a bicycle handle-grip on my Bushman Bowie to counteract the fact that it is uncomfortable and has little grip. I've seen others use paracord as a handle wrap as well, but I like the fact that the bicycle handle grip gives you a guard as well to prevent slippage towards the blade. The fact that you can turn the knife into a spear for hunting/defense/brush clearing makes the handle the best design I've ever seen on a utilitarian knife. There are so many other uses for the hollow handle that make the knife so incredibly versatile. For example, I just experimented (with a fair amount of success) in turning the knife into a bellows using a garbage bag and snare wire. That will save me a lot of blowing and smoke inhalation in the future. There are a myriad of other uses for this knife as well. I can't state enough how much I love it. For 20 bucks on Amazon, you really can't go wrong with it either.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:40 PM
link   
reply to post by Q:1984A:1776

I like the Bike Handle Grip idea, thats ingenious

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
LOL @ all you!
Cuz you got it wrong.
My wife is the ultimate survival tool, that %$#@! is crazy!

She love me too.
I sleep well.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:47 PM
link   
The most useful item I ever purchased has been my Victorinox Swiss Army Knife (explorer) model. I use it practically everyday! It's reliable, serves a dozen different purposes, and best of all cost only $15 off Ebay. Keep it in your pocket and you'll never know it's there till you need it.
edit on 29-10-2011 by Redwing48 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:57 PM
link   
I totally agree with others that a large decent knife is the best survival tool for most situations. My pick is for my old WW2 Gurkha kukri. That said an 18" to 24" crowbar is a probably a better bet in an urban environment. It is the main tool in my get home bag.

<<   2 >>

join