It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

'Scared To Death', Presence of Predators, Stress, and Increase of Risk of Death

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:09 PM
link   
"As we learn more about how animals respond to stressful conditions -- whether it's the presence of predators or stresses from other natural or human-caused disruptions -- we increasingly find that stress brings a greater risk of death, presumably from things such as infections that normally wouldn't kill them," says Rowe

www.sciencedaily.com...

"What we found was unexpected -- more of the dragonflies died when predators shared their habitat," says Rowe. Larvae exposed to predatory fish or aquatic insects had survival rates 2.5 to 4.3 times less than those not exposed.

In a second experiment, 11 per cent of larvae exposed to fish died as they attempted to metamorphose into their adult stage...

The scientists suggest that their findings could apply to all organisms facing any amount of stress, and that the experiment could be used as a model for future studies on the lethal effects of stress.
-------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------

The reason I have presented this article is for this reason. Is there any possibility that this in fact does happen with humanity as well?

If there is much truth to this, I would suggest that many people re-evaluate their approach to life, and especially to our current situation. Not to get all biblical on it, but remember, 'God' wins, so stop stressing it. This is not to say, 'dont go and have your voice heard' or, 'dont research these events, and who's who, and why is why" but to say. Be confident that the desired outcome is right around the corner. As well, being confident is like that of Affirmations, in which increase the likely hood of success. Even if you are not successful right away, and you experience failure, well, count your blessings because you now learned from this failure and now may take a new approach.

BTW, if you choose to dig deeper into this topic, and attempt to either disprove or prove this notion that it applies to people, in regards to Stress and Predators...
Google:
Check out WHO | Disease and injury country estimate
I could not provide linke, for it's a downloadable form, with A LOT of information
It will take some cross-referencing and what not with the country itself, who's the leader, and different social structures as well as who's who and contributing factors, it's a very large task... So yeah, that's why I haven't presented anything to necessarily 100% back this up.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

It's called post traumatic stress dissorder. When you live life on the edge, repeatedly, your body is running on overtime producing chemicals that respond to fight or flight.

If you don't get a handle on what causes this for you, it will kill ya, eventually. And God, has nothing to do with it!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by MESSAGEFROMTHESTARS

I guess it'd be beneficial to think like a predator then?

Interesting read.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
Eh, I get your point, but think you're generalizing a bit too far.

The experiment had these species in survival, fight or flight mode for prolonged periods of time.

Exhaustion is what will truly harm people, but mere stress isn't inherently a bad or detrimental thing.

I think it's best to differentiate.

For instance, stressing out the body, breaks down weaker tissues, cleans out toxins, and rebuilds with stronger muscles, bones,netc..

Same for the mind. Use it or lose it. We now know that the more we stress our bodies and minds out, without having injury, the mire our brain and body will build, giving the correct nutrition and rest.

I think it's the same for dealing with pathogens. Allow your body to be exposed and stress, but as soon as you get noticeably I'll, cut out the sources that may hinder successful adaptation.

We need stress. It's what keeps our species on the top of the food chain. It's just that you shouldn't allow the stress to lead to exhaustion. That's when the mind and body start to give out.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Now I'm getting stressed about being stressed.

If you were trying to manipulate this study to draw others toward your religion, FAIL.
So when I got some raving lunatic with a knife coming after me, I'll just remember that its God's plan.
No, I'm gonna stress the eff out and kill that sombich!
Sorry for the speculation, It's just that I've had similar experiences in combat situations.
Yeah, stress does affect our health over extended periods of time, but I don't have the benefit of living
in mamby pamby land with the unicorns and rainbows, so I use strength to stay alive.
So the tools that we have to keep us alive kill us. Ok, I'll add that to my list.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:55 PM
link   
Then it would seem the government has known about this effect for a while..

Population control???

(With their stressful jobs, at least we'd take a few with us!!)

new topics

top topics

join