It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Armed Men Storm Russian School; Children Hostage

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   
www.da.mod.uk...
www.hrw.org...
www.markswatson.com...
cfrterrorism.org...

here are a little 'this-way-that-way' souces and discussion on Chechnya. Some demonstrate some of the genuine Russian concerns over Chechnya.. and there are many... and some insight into what could drive normal (nominally) educated people to bloody terrorism against a powerful(ish) state like russia...

This is way-not cut and dry enough to start talking about the 'war on terror' 'WW3' or anything majorly Al-Qaida driven... the Chechens would be doing this had they international muslim sympathies or not...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:06 AM
link   

EGYPTIAN EXPERT: ISLAMBOULI BRIGADES MUST BE CHECHEN SEPARATISTS' AL-QAEDA CONNECTED ORGANIZATION

CAIRO, September 1 (RIA Novosti) - Islambouli Brigades, until recently an almost unknown group, that has assumed responsibility for blowing up two Russian airliners and the suicide bombing off Moscow metro station, is probably an Al Qaeda-related organization of Chechen separatists, said Ahmed As-Subaimi, head of the Al Makrizi Islamic Center in London.

This name of this group first appeared in news headlines on July 31 2004, when assassination of Shaukat Aziz, a candidate for Pakistani Prime Minister's post was attempted. The terrorists named their organization after Egyptian lieutenant Khaled El-Islambouli, who masterminded the assassination of President Anwar Sadat on October 6, 1981 and was executed together with a group of plotters. But, Egyptian terrorism experts say, this does not mean Egyptians or Arabs were in the group.

Ahmed As-Subayi says minor terrorist organizations from Chechnya, the Balkans or Southeast Asia often name themselves after a famous shahid and as often they change their names to baffle special services hunting on them.

So far, there is only scarce information about the "Islamboulists." Some experts say they are headed by Mohammed Islambouli, Khaled's younger brother. What is known about him is that when a young man he went in 1982 to Pakistan to recruit fighters for the Afghan war. In the recent past, he was a leader of Egyptian extremist Al-Jama'a al-Islamiyah group. Currently he may be hiding in Pakistan, Afghanistan or Iran. He used to know Osama bin Ladin, Al-Qaeda boss well. Reportedly, he visited Chechnya in 2001.

en.rian.ru...

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:40 AM
link   
Wonder if there going to get Russian special forces in to handle this but after the last time(The Moscow Theatre Siege) nearly all the hostages died of knock out gas they used.

BBC BTS

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:44 AM
link   
well it was actaully about a third of the hostages died...

The sad thing with the gas was that it was the lack of proper aftercare which killed the majority of the fatalities. Instead of being revived in warm safe controlled conditions many were left in the backs of ambulances or on buses and trams (lack of hospital vehicles) in -10 degree conditions...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:47 AM
link   
read the bbc story on the drug that was used there more to it than just that its well worth the read belive me.

also read all the related links

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:52 AM
link   
It seems that if this is the work of Chechynian (sp) rebels, and if the downed airliners were also handled by the same group that the rebels are seeking to make Russians uncomfortable in every aspect of their lives.

Though I do not condone it, as far as engaging in a campaign designed to achieve objectives, this is the way to do it. Frankly, I'm suprised that a similar multi-pronged seige has not been levied against the US.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by SE7EN
read the bbc story on the drug that was used there more to it than just that its well worth the read belive me.

also read all the related links

the links bugged out!! But yeah, I know there is a lot of risk attached to nerve gassing hundreds of people anyway.. totally. I did remember seeing so many on the buses and trams shivering and (slowly) dying though when waiting for news outside the theatre. Very chilling memory for me, and I cant help feeling that the death toll would have been signifcantly lower had they had the facilities to get them hospitalised.. quickly...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Yep, the first-aid re' the Moscow theatre siege was a debarcle. If they did use Fentanyl,
the police, paramedics etc should have been issued with Narcan doses.

It's the antidote!!
opioids.com...
edit:link
Sanc'.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by sanctum]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by chaosrain
It seems that if this is the work of Chechynian (sp) rebels, and if the downed airliners were also handled by the same group that the rebels are seeking to make Russians uncomfortable in every aspect of their lives.

Though I do not condone it, as far as engaging in a campaign designed to achieve objectives, this is the way to do it. Frankly, I'm suprised that a similar multi-pronged seige has not been levied against the US.

What better way to convince everyone to join the Moslem faith under the guise of safety and security? The Moslem faith preaches that you would be secure in the faith but not secure if you are not a member of it, it's in the quran.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:54 AM
link   

Rebels threaten to kill Russian school children

Russian authorities say they are negotiating with terrorists who have seized a school and taken hundreds of students and parents hostage in the southern region of north Ossetia.

The rebel gunmen and women have threatened to kill 50 students for every one of their members killed by security forces, which have surrounded the school in the town of Beslan.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:02 AM
link   
not to be making light of this devastating situation, but say things didn't turn out well and the hostages are killed, could this be the cataclysmic event that steers russia towards finally joining the eu/nato...?

-raven

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
Hey Qoelet, try the first post again the links should be working properly now. Where it says click those to read more, that covers the whole tv programe and outher questions and outher things about them. If they did get involved this is the way I can see things going if the stand off went sour.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:07 AM
link   
This is gonna get worse and worse...to make the point they are gonna end up killing a few people to show they are serious then the whole thing is over cause they will storm the place.

Ok...15 people allowed to leave...promising...shows they are willing to maybe trade..either that one of them is not 100% sure and the kids are getting away.

I have to say this though...sounds like Al Qaeda style...using children as body shields...

Many students are among the hostages but the gang is thought to have allowed 15 children to leave.

Pupils have reportedly been lined up against the windows to prevent an assault by security services, says the BBC's Moscow correspondent Damian Grammaticas.

*taken from BBC.co.uk

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:13 AM
link   
please, im russian, this stuff is happening like once a week,

like really, bombing, hostages, since the civil war started in russia, its become more of an everyday thing

[edit on 1-9-2004 by AlexParadox]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:16 AM
link   
well...since u have such a blatant and uncaring attitude to those hostages and the whole situation...how about gettin off ur cloud...throwing down ur makeshift harp and making a worthwhile contribution to this thread with ur own thoughts?

or is the horse that high u cant get down?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:20 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen
well...since u have such a blatant and uncaring attitude to those hostages and the whole situation...how about gettin off ur cloud...throwing down ur makeshift harp and making a worthwhile contribution to this thread with ur own thoughts?

or is the horse that high u cant get down?

dont doubt the russian military, and i wouldnt be surprised if they did something like they did during the theatre incident. Right now this war is gone to far, and i admit, they might use some drastic measures to get through this one....

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:24 AM
link   
I think thiswill go on for maybe a 4 days tops before the spec ops move in mess it up and get those kids killed and like I said before in my replys it wouldn't surrprise me if they used that gas as they have done before.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by raven2012
not to be making light of this devastating situation, but say things didn't turn out well and the hostages are killed, could this be the cataclysmic event that steers russia towards finally joining the eu/nato...?

You got it all backwards. NATO and EU are keeping Russia at arm's length. They don't want Russia in, not that Russia doesn't want to join.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:53 AM
link   
Saw this report on Pravda. UNCONFIRMED report of school N6 also taken. Hope not.

"According to some unofficial information source, school N6 has also been seized in Beslan. Yakovlev however did not confirm the information."

english.pravda.ru...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:56 AM
link   

The Itar-Tass news agency said the attackers were demanding the release of Chechen fighters seized in neighbouring Ingushetia in June during a huge rebel raid.

Media reports said the demand was made in a video cassette handed to a negotiator.

www.smh.com.au...

Link may not work.reg

Sanc'.

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join