It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

TA-ATTACKS: Armed Men Storm Russian School; Children Hostage

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 04:43 AM
link   
hopefully those 50 children HAVE escaped.

it is sad when innocent children are involved in this, they wouldnt even understand why they are hostages.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:36 AM
link   
BBC has in its 'ticker' that the militants are demanding Russian troop withdrawal from Chechnya.

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:51 AM
link   
isn't there an anti-terrorist group specially trained for exactly this kind of situation?

can they not just Jam radio transmissions around the building, tell them that what ever needs they requested are being met... give them the illusion that they are getting what they want, lure them into a false sence of accomplishment and secure the hostages before taking action...

assuming they they haven't already decided before they took the hostages that they would kill themselves regardless of sucess....

if this is the case then negotians would not work anyway..

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 05:57 AM
link   

They are believed to have laid mines and trip wires, threatening to blow up the school if stormed by police.

According to Russia's Itar-Tass news agency they are demanding the withdrawal of troops from Chechnya.

They are also reported to have demanded talks with local politicians and a negotiator involved at the time of the siege of a Moscow theatre in 2002.

news.bbc.co.uk...

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:15 AM
link   
So has it been confirmd that these are Chechnya's? Is there a possiblity it could be al Qaida? They did claim responsibility for the 2 plane crashes. What are their demands?

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:28 AM
link   

The group of men and women are wearing explosive belts and have vowed to blow up the school if Russian forces storm the building.

They have demanded talks with local political leaders and want rebels from the neighbouring region of Ingushetia released from detention.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 06:34 AM
link   

A source in the North Ossetian law-enforcement bodies has said that the militants are using children in the windows as human shield to prevent a storm.

The same source has added that the militants have given the phone number to contact them. However, it is impossible to get through the line, he added.

According to operator of the Rostelekom company, the telephone line with Beslan has been damaged. "The reason of the damage is being clarified," the source added.

en.rian.ru...

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:12 AM
link   

Russian authorities say they are negotiating with terrorists who have seized a school and taken hundreds of students and parents hostage in the southern region of north Ossetia.

www.abc.net.au...

Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:18 AM
link   
Terrorists who target civilians are COWARDS!

It does not matter what religion/culture they come from either.

Terrorists who target children...well, there's no word for them - they are below cowards - they are gutless and have no idea about honor.

These two types or terrorists (esp. the second) need about 5 cents being spent on them in the form of a small piece of lead between the eyes!

As far as I'm concerned, if the terrorists target the military then that's fine - it's basic war. When they target civilians, it upsets me. When they target children it makes me want to sign up myself on the condition that I be shipped directly to the country where the terrorists are and deal with them directly.

I would look forward to spending my 5 cents of lead.

Cheers

JS

[edit on 1-9-2004 by jumpspace]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:21 AM
link   
I hope it doesn't turn out in bloodshed. But its unlikely. Once u agree to terms of terrorists then you aer bound to do it everytime. I will just pray for life of school kids & other people involved in incident.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:25 AM
link   
Putin will not free Chechnya. The imprisoned ingushetian terrorists won`t be freed. The russians have no anti-terrorist troops, as long as their strategy regarding matters like this was obvious when the Moskow Theatre incident happened. I have to remind you people there were 140 civilian casualties.

But... maybe Putin is using this attack to obtain legality, so he and Russia can `elliminate` every threat Ingushetia, Chechnya and Osetia represents.
Just like Bush did in Afghanistan and Iraq. Possible, right ? I`m sure that the russians are more determined to cause collateral damage than the americans, regarding the past history. And it`s a known fact that Putin was a top general inside of KGB, before the Warsaw Pact fell.

And JumpSpace, if the american govt KNEW where the terrorists are, they surely would have sent the usual SEAL, DELTA etc. troops, they wouldn`t need your help.

Terrorists and terrorism is based on secrecy, it`s not like World War II, when everyone knew where Hitler and Germany were.

[edit on 1/9/04 by Kapnobatai]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
Thats where its coming I guess. This is chance for putin to remove any threat from chechnya, georgia & other neighboring state who harbour terrorists.

They will say "ITS WAR AGAINST TERROR & WE CAN DO ANYTHING TO WIN IT"

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:30 AM
link   
This is blatently a new bloody chapter in the Chechen insurgency, and another bloody chapter at that. Given that Moscow has stepped up attempts to 'normalise' the situation in Chechnya with a new puppet president after the 'elections'. The situation in quite unike our 'war on terror' in the west, as this response by the rebels is wholly as a result of the breakdown in the rebels ability to fully challange the Russian military. Russian intsituted 'state-terror' against the Chechen population has driven them to these rather disgusting logical conclusion to get their aims addressed. it is also not that new. Chechen rebels have been kidnapping and hostage taking in Southern Russia for years now (like the hospital in the mid nineties). If the Spetznaz cannot feasibly do anything to resolve the situation, they may very well negotiate with them to some limited effect (like they did with the hospital).. or gas the place, like at the siege in Nord Ost in Moscow. All depends on Putin's resolve. The vague attempt to coverup the explosions on the two airplanes shows how vunerable this all makes Putin seem, and he *may* order some bloody operation to end the crisis... I just hope not...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by netscape
I hope it doesn't turn out in bloodshed. But its unlikely. Once u agree to terms of terrorists then you aer bound to do it everytime. I will just pray for life of school kids & other people involved in incident.

I have been feeling anger and praying for these children and others since Gryffen broke this story.
I hope no member thinks I am getting any joy from monitoring this situation.
If you could hear what I have yelling at my screen, I would be banned from ATS in 5 seconds flat.

I just wanted to make my feelings clear. Thanks.
Sanc'.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:40 AM
link   
Who can blame Russia for attempting to stage a strike on it`s own people ?
America ? Nah ... The US has it`s own problems in Iraq. And they cannot blame Russia for doing exactly what they`re doin` in Middle East.
The UN ? This organisation doesn`t exist anymore. Or it does, but has no political power any longer.
The EU ? Europe is divided between blaming and joining the coalition. These are troubled times... And humanity is on the edge. I said it before, this is the beginning of world war III. And this war won`t be a conventional one. It`s just a handful of determined men against countries and governments.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:44 AM
link   
Don't they have any gas which is not poisonus but must makes u sleepy & its not dangerous? I know gas which they used during theater sidge was poisonus when inhaled in more quantity.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Gryffen

come on...having seen how easily a situation like this can turn out or change so quickly...i prefere to look at the sidelines and make a little prayer for there safety.

doesnt hurt does it!

think maybe we could all do this for all the little innocents in that building

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:50 AM
link   
Every sleeping gas is deadly when taken in large quantities. The Geneva convention has forbidden the use of combat gas, but what`s left, the so-called harmful gas is based on quantity. As long as the counterterrorists don`t know the exact situation inside, as long as they don`t know the position of the terrorists and of the hostages inside, they cannot elliminate the risk of accidentally killing hostages. Plus, they have to know the exact number of people, so they can dose the gas...
And gathering that much intel on the positions , the `front line`, takes time. This precious time... The terrorists will become more and more irritated, delay will make them sure that something`s goin` on outside.
The government forces might not risk again to have a massacre as in Moskow. This will bring the international public opinion over Putin, and he`s not willing for that...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:56 AM
link   
If Govt forces won't storm in then only way to resolve this crisis by talks & I hope it works out. But there is no way Russia is gonna agree on removing troops from chechnya. In todays world noone cares about what world public thinks about them. I am sure putin also may be thinking the same.

When I am repating that Russia is not giong to accept terms of terrorists, I am not thinking that they should storm in & shoot at terrorists, if they do that then there will be a lots of lives involved. & I don't want to see any of them going though this. I just pray that everyone gets free asap.

[edit on 1-9-2004 by netscape]

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by netscape
Don't they have any gas which is not poisonus but must makes u sleepy & its not dangerous? I know gas which they used during theater sidge was poisonus when inhaled in more quantity.

The gas that was used in the Moscow theatre seige was widely reported as Fentanyl.
www.nlm.nih.gov...

Sanc'.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join