It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Bye Bye Moon :(

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 07:58 PM
link   
I sure hope this moon problem doesn't affect my retirement plans...

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 08:01 PM
link   
There's already a government program to get everyone fatter and heavier so the Earth has more mass and doesn't lose its Moon.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Murcielago

DanTodd
my worry for the future isnt the moon, its oxygen. oxygen is going to be gone in like 300 years.

Ummmmm...No.
Trees give off oxygen and we breath it in and exhale carbon dioxide and which then the trees "breath" that in. Its all apart of the circle of life.

yea, but oxyogen has been getting lower and lower because of the population rise and the cutting down of trees.

posted on Sep, 1 2004 @ 10:07 PM
link   
Yea, the rainforest created 1/4 of the worlds oxygen before most of it was hacked down. Now it only makes a fraction of that. Noooo!

~Im gonna go hug a tree.

Dru

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 05:34 AM
link   
Ok I've come up with a BRILLIANT plan to save our moon! Ok so here's what we gotta do. First we need to build something(or possibly magic....) to pull Superman out of the comics(TV, movies) then have him go up and push the moon closer! Problem solved!
What? Why are you looking at me like that?! I'm not insane! I'm not! *squeaks and runs away from the men in white coats with the straight jackets who everyone sent after her* You'll be sorry when we lose our moon cause you didn't listen to me!!!

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:53 PM
link   

The earth is not a giant treadmill.

LMAO
i like that line.

one thing i would be concerned with if the moon did ever leave the earth's orbit would be the side effects on earth's gravitational pull. the sun is pulling on the moon and the earth, vice versa, and the earth is pulling on the moon, and moon is pulling on the earth. all kinds of gravitational forces going on. i'm just wondering, if the moon were to leave, that gravitational force would be gone so it would be just the sun and earth pulling on eachother. could this be enough to throw earth off it's orbit?

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 01:54 PM
link   
ed/ sorry guys
i double posted accidentally, any mods, feel free to take away the points for this post

[edit on 9/2/2004 by Josh Man]

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 07:17 PM
link   
Actually green algae in the sea fabricate most of our oxygen. I hate tree huggers. If you want to hug a tree because it "saves our lives" then go dive in the ocean and hug a giant patch of green algae.

I thought so.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:19 PM
link   
treee huggers are cool...not that i am one....oh yea that superman thing was funny .....not sure if superman can push something as big as a moon ......................id prefer a bajillion greenlanterns pulling it towards earth................if they actually did majically make pills that let you live forever...i can tell me great great great great great x 5 grandkids that back in my days we had a moon.....

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 08:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by taibunsuu
There's already a government program to get everyone fatter and heavier so the Earth has more mass and doesn't lose its Moon.

I thought the government program was to get everyone fat so the insurance companies and weight loss/diet industries made profits in the billions. Wow.. hell of a cover up! It was all about the moon!

Explains why those little sweet cakes are called "moon pies" and showing a huge fat round but is "mooning" someone.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:41 AM
link   
hay i am Australian and did you know that we are cutting our forrests down so fast and using so many fossil fuels that by 15 yrs later there will be no oxygen for our counry or very little and our country will be a waste land oh and also the ozone layer is almost over our country if we have anything to be concerned about it is earth and not the moon although it is interesting and still a problem but we will live

And the sun became black as sackcloth of hair: and the whole moon became as blood.

12 And the fourth angel sounded the trumpet: and the third part of the sun was smitten, and the third part of the moon, and the third part of the stars, so that the third part of them was darkened. And the day did not shine for a third part of it: and the night in like manner.

i am clothed in white and am baptised in the blood of Christ oh and i am Catholic

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:46 AM
link   
read the bible it rules prefrebly king james bible or go to this site and read revelations or the hole thing

www.scriptours.com...

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 04:50 AM
link   
and the moon in my eye like a big pizza pie

mmmmmm moon pie!

E_T

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:08 PM
link   

Originally posted by Josh Man
one thing i would be concerned with if the moon did ever leave the earth's orbit would be the side effects on earth's gravitational pull. the sun is pulling on the moon and the earth, vice versa, and the earth is pulling on the moon, and moon is pulling on the earth. all kinds of gravitational forces going on. i'm just wondering, if the moon were to leave, that gravitational force would be gone so it would be just the sun and earth pulling on eachother. could this be enough to throw earth off it's orbit?

Well, actually earths orbit around sun isn't ecaxtly that ellipse what it's described because moons gravity tugs Earth. (that ellipse is orbit of Earth-Moon system's mass center)

It's same as how it's possible to detect exoplanets from periodical change in stars' redshift.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 07:36 AM
link   

Thats the most rediculas thing ive ever heard.
things in space are consistently moving farther away from eathother. Yeah our moon going farther away but it wont cause any problems. The earth is moving farther away from the sun and were still able to create global warming.

Lol... a touch too heavy on the generalization there.

The only reason the Earth is (ever so slightly) moving away from the sun is due to the fact that the Sun is constantly losing mass (it's using its fuel). Other than that, I have two words for you - mass and gravity.

If things in space are consistently moving further away from each other, how do you explain the collapse of galaxies and the formation of blackholes? Things in space are currently moving away from the point of the big bang, but at a rate that is probably slowing down (at least according to most cosmologists today) -- this should lead you to the conclusion that they will eventually reach an apex and start the process of collapsing once again into a single meta mass.

Almost contrary to the Huble Constant, there are other forces at work. Our home galaxy is stable. In our local group: the Magellanic clouds are in the process of merging into the Milky Way, as are NGC 2300 and The Sagittarius Galaxy among a number of others. The Andromeda Galaxy is closing on us, while also merging with M32, M33, and M110 amongst others. The entire local group is moving toward the Virgo Cluster. Which is moving toward the Virgo Super-Cluster. All of these local galaxies are moving towards each other because of mass (gravity).

Now, where is all of this "consistently moving farther away from each other" business?

E_T

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   

Originally posted by CatHerder
Things in space are currently moving away from the point of the big bang, but at a rate that is probably slowing down (at least according to most cosmologists today) -- this should lead you to the conclusion that they will eventually reach an apex and start the process of collapsing once again into a single meta mass.

Actually current models/theories say we live in open universe and that expansion is accelerating.

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 12:47 AM
link   
E_T, you seem to know about a lot of this Astronomy stuff (thankfully I didn't say Astrology). I've always found it very interesting but never took a liking. Oh, and thanks for that link to the program Celestia. I found it incredible, I even showed it to a few friends.

top topics

<< 1   >>

join