It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Strange rocks found on the Moon!

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
Here is a close-up view of the lunar terrain.

Are these formations rocks or something else?

What do you make of it?

i985.photobucket.com...
edit on 29-10-2011 by arianna because: (no reason given)

Starting a New Thread?...Look Here First

AboveTopSecret.com takes pride in making every post count.
Please do not create minimal posts to start your new thread.
If you feel inclined to make the board aware of news, current events,
or important information from other sites;
*please post one or two paragraphs,
*a link to the entire story,
*AND your opinion, twist or take on the news item,
as a means to inspire discussion or collaborative research on your subject.

edit on Sun Oct 30 2011 by DontTreadOnMe because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
reply to post by arianna

Looks like something we used to call faux fire growing up. It happens when minerals come to the surface of the rock, and give a bright white "paint job" on the outside. Depending on the minerals, they can shine brightly if headlights are shined on them. Looks like normal rocks to me.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:16 PM
link   
sorry, but i can`t see anything different here about this.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Strange rocks.....how??? What is so strange about them???

Looks like normal rocks to me

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:27 PM
link   
COuld you provide some sense of scale, please? I cannot tell if I am looking at something 3 feet from the camera or thirty miles. ANy other similar images to support this one? Thank you.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
Over to the right I see what looks like hexagonal projections, similar to the Giant's causway basalt pillars, but on a very minor scale, so it could a result of volcanic activety in the distant past.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   
Going to need a few more images from the surrounding area , if you can link to where you got the original one your using here would be nice .

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
reply to post by watchdog8110

Here is the original image.

i985.photobucket.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
reply to post by Malkuth

To give an idea of scale I calculated that the resolution is approximately 0.516m/pixel.

The image is 1000 pixels wide.

Here is a lighter view of the scene. If using IE8 or greater set zoom to 125%.

Some very strange shapes indeed if they are what many members think - just rock formations.

i985.photobucket.com...

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
Sorry but I fail to see anything unusual about them.

Rocks are rocks are rocks.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 02:18 PM
link   
Im not sure what youre seeing but I dont see anything to much out of the ordinary

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:35 AM
link   

Originally posted by arianna
Some very strange shapes indeed if they are what many members think - just rock formations.
What srange shapes? Most posters don't see what you're talking about. Maybe you should mark up the photo and post that to show what you're talking about. Embedding the image would be nice too, it's not hard.

Some rocks on Earth are interesting:
Natural rock formation, source: en.wikipedia.org...
[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/9c5d7358bad6.jpg[/atsimg]

See, embedding the image wasn't hard. Marking it up takes a little effort though, but you probably need to do that if you want people to know what you're talking about.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 02:40 AM
link   
Sorry Op i just don't see anything strange or unusual about these rocks ..They just look like rocks nothing more ..Peace,sugarcookie1

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:07 AM
link   
reply to post by Arbitrageur

Giant's Causeway is not the only interesting basalt rock formations, there are many interesting ones around the world, maybe not so geometric. Unrelated but a curious rock formation only found on one coast of New Zealand are the Pancake Rocks, imagine the speculations of civilization construction if rocks like these were spotted on Mars for instance.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
reply to post by arianna

In that first image it's hard to tell, lots of detail were lost in the manipulation.

On the second photo I can see what you mean, but, from what I have seen in LROC photos (I suppose that this photo comes from LROC, but as you didn't provide a link to the source I cannot be sure), there are many places in which we can see those white rocks protruding from a darker layer, making me think that those areas are all made from that white rock but covered by a layer of darker dust.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:34 AM
link   
In this view I have placed a circle or an ellipse around many of the features. You should look for shapes that do not appear natural or are out of keeping with the general terrain.

Remember the viewpoint is quite a distance from the surface and is probably around 750 to 1000 meters above so the detail will appear very small.

I hope this image helps members to see the features. If it doesn't, I shall have to work on the images to improve the situation as there is so much detail to observe.

i985.photobucket.com...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
reply to post by arianna

It's hard to say if things look normal when you changed the image to an unnatural look, now everything looks strange.

By overlaying your altered image over the unaltered version I didn't saw any strange thing, only that some things that you have marked with a circle or ellipse (why the two colours?) are not rocks, they are craters.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:18 AM
link   
OK, I downloaded the image and took a long, hard look in photoshop simply by making minor adjustments to brightness and to contrast. I have spent thousands of hours reviewing topographical maps taken from the air of sites on Earth and a similar (probably greater) amount of time dissecting lunar and martian maps and photos as well.

In my own opinion, there is quite alot going on here. practically the entire area is littered with some very unnatural features. One of the most striking one was not even encircled by you, but that is understandable given the amount of curious items here. Perhaps in a day or two I can crop out a few of the most interesting features and post there here for others to scrutinize. I will admit that to the untrained eye or to a person who just does not have much experience picking images like these apart, the image , at first glance, seems unremarkable. I guarantee you it is anything but.

Perhaps the best approach is for the viewer to get an understanding of the scale. Given the resolution you provided, this means the picture is about 500 meters from left to right, or roughly 1500 feet. It looks to me as though someone has been very, very busy at this site. I cannot tell anything about the age of the anomalies or whether or not the site is active. (I personally hold the view that some form of military presence is at the moon and that it has been there for quite some time, but there is simply not enough detail to even speculate on the nature of this operation.)

I feel I am on solid ground stating that this looks to me to be an intelligently crafted site and that it is, in no way, the product of random geologic forces found in nature.

OK, I am ready to receive the pounding some will feel I so richly deserve for stating this opinion, but I am sticking with it. I have a thick skin, so go ahead, knock yourselves out. I fully expect when I clear up some of the most visible anomalies,however, some will be persuaded that the features presented here are very, very curious to say the least.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by Malkuth
OK, I downloaded the image and took a long, hard look in photoshop simply by making minor adjustments to brightness and to contrast.
Which image?

In my own opinion, there is quite alot going on here. practically the entire area is littered with some very unnatural features. One of the most striking one was not even encircled by you, but that is understandable given the amount of curious items here.
Could you be more specific about it? Why do you say the features are unnatural, for example.

Perhaps in a day or two I can crop out a few of the most interesting features and post there here for others to scrutinize.
Why so long to crop an image and post it?

Perhaps the best approach is for the viewer to get an understanding of the scale. Given the resolution you provided, this means the picture is about 500 meters from left to right, or roughly 1500 feet.
The resolution of the original image is 64 cm per pixel, so the size of the original picture is easy to know, but I don't know which one you are talking about, if the original, the cropped image from the original or the resized and "enhanced" image.
(I thought I was talking about another photo, sorry
)

I feel I am on solid ground stating that this looks to me to be an intelligently crafted site and that it is, in no way, the product of random geologic forces found in nature.
Do you have any knowledge of geology?

OK, I am ready to receive the pounding some will feel I so richly deserve for stating this opinion, but I am sticking with it.
I hope you also are prepared to accept that you may be wrong.

I have a thick skin, so go ahead, knock yourselves out. I fully expect when I clear up some of the most visible anomalies,however, some will be persuaded that the features presented here are very, very curious to say the least.
I will wait for them.

edit on 30/10/2011 by ArMaP because: removed paragraph about image resolution, wrong thread, I suppose.

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
To Site Mod

I am working with the image provided by the ATS subscriber who started the post. I will be referring to the NASA original, for sure.
I do have some background both in geology and in aerial photo analysis. Not a phd or anything, but some experience.
Why so long to crop and post? Just want to do a good job. I am sure what will happen is the same thing that happens every time I analyze an image. I'll end up with a boatload of crops and I will have to sort out a handful which seems to represent reality the best. This will take some time. I do have a life beyond ATS. NOI.

Can I be wrong? Absolutely. Am I willing to be shown evidence which refutes my position. PLEASE. YES. Bring it on.

Will I get a pounding no matter what? People will be people, nice or otherwise, now won't they? I do tend to completely ignore people who bash because they feel bashing is a pleasing and satisfying way to pass their time. As for bashers WITH evidence? There is a curious breed. They have the goods ,but that by itself is not good enough. It is more important to many of them to belittle the other party so that those easily swayed will be more....easily swayed.Thank you.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join