It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Can you get cancer from eating or drinking after a cancer patient?

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 05:20 AM
link   
What basically happens with cancer is that your body cells (could be blood, could be specific tissue etc, doesen't really matter) "go insane" and start replicating without any control, so that what basically happens is that the legitimate cells are overwhelmed by the "insane" cells, and the organ affected by the tumor ceases to accomplish it's functions. Obviously enough there are a whole lot of tumor types, but that should be the basis of what actually happens to most of them. I'm quite sure leukemia is an exception.

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 04:07 AM
link   
I seriously think cancer is a virus that attacks the DNA in a cell and caused the code to be disrupted. Many many members of my family seem to pass cancer sexually. It seems to make sense since they call AIDS the gay cancer.
Anyway, in all cases, when one Aunt or Uncle gets cancer the other one comes down with it. I suspect it can be passed in the male seman. One of my Aunts got breast cancer after her husband died of colon cancer. Another aunt came down with breast cancer after her husband had it. A third developed deadly lymphoma after her husband got cancer. Many of my other aunts seem to "catch" Uterine cancer after their mate has it.

I am sure science will figure this out soon. What better way to transmit itself than on the DNA the ESSENTIAL protien for reproduction and survival of a species.

I know cancer is many diseases but they have one thing in common. Cells cease to reproduce properly and cell reproduction is a result of DNA and RNA processes.

Just my .02.

incog

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 10:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by incog
I seriously think cancer is a virus that attacks the DNA in a cell and caused the code to be disrupted. Many many members of my family seem to pass cancer sexually. It seems to make sense since they call AIDS the gay cancer.
Anyway, in all cases, when one Aunt or Uncle gets cancer the other one comes down with it. I suspect it can be passed in the male seman. One of my Aunts got breast cancer after her husband died of colon cancer. Another aunt came down with breast cancer after her husband had it. A third developed deadly lymphoma after her husband got cancer. Many of my other aunts seem to "catch" Uterine cancer after their mate has it.

I am sure science will figure this out soon. What better way to transmit itself than on the DNA the ESSENTIAL protien for reproduction and survival of a species.

I know cancer is many diseases but they have one thing in common. Cells cease to reproduce properly and cell reproduction is a result of DNA and RNA processes.

Just my .02.

incog

Science has figured out how cancer starts and spreads, but not why, and no, its not a virus. Some thing in the DNA may make one family more sensible to have one or more types of cancer, but cancer is not contagious.
Cancer is not a new disease, is known for centuries, if it was a virus attacking the DNA, the result would be much worse.

Also, all superior animals have cancer, so its not just linked to human DNA. Sharks are the only animals who get cancer but it does not grow, it stays the same until the shark dies of other causes.

From the Merck Manual website:

Cancer: A proliferation of cells whose unique trait --loss of normal controls--results in unregulated growth, lack of differentiation, local tissue invasion, and metastasis.

Cancer (malignancy) can develop in any tissue of any organ at any age. Most cancers are potentially curable if detected at an early stage. By performing self-examinations, patients can help recognize early signs of some possible malignancies. Diagnostic testing and therapy are essential for optimal results. When cure or reasonable palliation is likely, physicians must discuss all therapeutic options.

In that site they also list some know causes:
Molecular Abnormalities
Environmental Factors
....Viruses
....Parasites
....Chemicals
....Ultraviolet radiation
....Ionizing radiation
....Chronic irritation to skin
Immunologic Disorders

In the case of you family, maybe is something in the environment or a virus, but remember that the virus is only indirectly related to cancer, its not the virus that spread the cancer, but its the reaction of the body that triggers the cancer.

I really recommend the Merck Manual Website, specifically this page:

Chapter 142. Overview Of Cancer

posted on Sep, 4 2004 @ 12:26 PM
link   

does any one know sucess rate for full recovery on people who have brain tumors

There is generally a 40% survival rate post-surgery, although this depends on the size, location, and malignancy of the tumor itself. Early detection is the best way to increase survival rate.

Cancer is not an infectious disease, no matter what it's etiology. This may sound disgusting, but it is possible for someone to EAT another person's cancerous tumor and that individual will NOT manifest the cancer.

However, if someone is receiving radiation treatments who has cancer, there are strict guidelines concerning human-to-human contact due to the possibility of contamination. But this has nothing to do with the cancer itself, and completely to do with the radiation treatments and the effect that they have on the human body.

MK

[edit on 4-9-2004 by MKULTRA]

posted on Sep, 5 2004 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by incog

Just my .02.

incog

incorrect, for the most part.

cancer absolutely cannot be passed from person to person.

in a dire emergency, it would (theoretically) be possible for a cancer patient to donate blood to a non cancer patient, and no cancer would be transmitted. although a doctor would never allow a cancer patient to donate anyways, since their blood counts are usually pretty low to begin with.

I don't know how your aunts would "catch" uterine cancer from their mate, anyway.... i think my rationale on that is obvious, as long as their mate is a male, of course. cancer cells, and cells in general, perform specific functions relative to the organ they are located in, therefore a cancer cell from the colon could in no possible way be transmitted and then cause breast cancer in another individual.

it seems to me, without hear any further history above and beyond what i've read, that your family may be genetically predisposed to certain types of cancer. my professional advice- yearly physicals, a healthy diet, moderate exercise. the better shape the rest of your body is in, the better your chances of beating- and preventing- cancer are.

and if you're a smoker, kick that habit too- granted we're all going to die someday, but a smoker is only killing themselves. and the 10 closest people to them.

posted on Oct, 31 2009 @ 01:06 AM
link   
Check out the Nationa lCancer Institute website - NCI.com
Johns Hopkins is wonderful too.

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 02:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ThunderCloud
Cancer is a cellular disease that spreads through the entire victim's body, correct? So, cancer cells should be in all the types of cells in the victim's body, right? Including blood, saliva, etc.

So, if you eat or drink after someone who has cancer, is there a chance that you'll get the cancer too?

Yes,cancer is contagious and is highly infectious with symptoms showing up many months or years later.Remember most cancers are caused by viruses,bacteria and fungi..up to 75% with 20% remainder caused by chemicals,toxins and the remaining 5% due to genetic tendencies

Remember the swine flu has only killed 3000 worldwide but cancer kills 510000 every year in America alone! Why? Because it is a contagious disease.You can catch it of cancer victims.

Heard of sarcoma virus,pappiloma virus?...they are cancer causing pathogens!

The medical establishment is peddling various vaccines for cancer like gardasil gradually admitting cancer is caused by pathogens and is therefore contagious.

Here is tons of proof from a doctor:-

www.whale.to...

www.time.com...

www.xomba.com...

[edit on 2-11-2009 by beckybecky]

[edit on 2-11-2009 by beckybecky]

posted on Nov, 2 2009 @ 03:35 AM
link   
Tasmanian Devils are so inbred that they can "catch" cancer from one another:

Wikipedia
National Geographic
DPIWE

Only three types of cancer are known to be transmissible and they occur in 3 separate species (dogs, Tasmanian Devils and I-don't-know).

Cancer usually occurs through genetic mutation caused by any of improper cell-division, non-biological environmental factors (e.g too much Sun, various chemicals, radiation) and biological agents (e.g certain moulds, viruses, prions, bacteria (the black mould that grows on bread is one causal agent along with another that grows on peanuts)). Generally speaking, cancer is not contagious but the causal agent might be.

[edit on 2/11/09 by Rapacity]

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 07:55 AM
link   

posted on Jan, 8 2017 @ 10:00 AM
link   
No, your bodies own immune system would kill the foreign cancer cells. Just like they would a transplanted organ without immune suppression medication.

The hosts body doesn't kill them because their immune system can't distinguish its own bad cells from good.
edit on 8/1/17 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join