It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Boy Assaults Student as Cellphone Captures Attack

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   
it definitely has to do with the fact that the student was gay.

hmm, i wonder what religion the bully is.

and i wonder for what other reason would someone want to beat up a gay person so much?
children are raised with too many stereotypes and learned prejudices and they dont even know why.

ask him why he doesnt like gay people. "i dont know, cuz theyre gay"

i hate some people. i think public school can be a terrible thing. its less of a place of learning and more of a conforminator. everyone wants to fit in and do whats cool and not be picked on. it hinders the children so much

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:04 PM
link   
reply to post by Miraj

Would you count the suicides from non-gay kids who got bullied for random things that aren't sexual orientation as someone getting beaten to death?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
reply to post by TKDRL

In that video I feel the big kid is out of line. I can't really explain it I'm just not okay with what he did. If he wanted to push the kid away fine but what I saw was that the big kid took control of the situation and once the little kid was no longer a threat still threw him onto the ground. Concrete for that matter.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:05 PM
link   
The bullies are often close cases who on some level think beating a gay person will be helpful to them overcome their own insecurities. They're externalizing a bit. Fighting the gay on the outside won't do anything to the gay on the inside. Maybe some point down the road the two can kiss and make up.

edit on 28-10-2011 by Turq1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:06 PM
link   
Ok, so this is how I think a bully should be handled. If you never stand up to a bully, they will continue to bully you. I have learned this from personal experience. That poor kid sure did not deserve that either gay or not, nobody deserves that harrasment

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   

Originally posted by Nurv47
reply to post by TKDRL

Well, reason separates murder 1 from manslaughter. The intent behind the crime is important in determining a person's innocence or guilt and the severity of the crime.

reply to post by drew1749

You may not always need a motive, but if you've watched enough Law and Order you'll see that the (fictional) cops ALWAYS try and establish a motive. Understanding WHY the crime happened is just as important as punishing it if you're seeking to prevent similar cases.

You make good points. I guess I take back what I said about Motive. I was technically correct but motive is sort of important in deciding guilt. In this situation though I don't think we really need a motive. We know the offender is guilty of assaulting another kid. Motive doesn't come into it does it?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:08 PM
link   

Of course.

I know what you're getting at man, and Im not saying assault isn't assault. Assault is assault. But the motive in this case I find particularly more sickening than someone getting picked on for buck teeth, or some of the kids that tried to pick on me because I was fat in high school (unfortunate for them, I was stubborn).

If you're on a jury, are you really not going to take into account as to why someone assaulted another?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Hey AllUrChips I'd recommend taking that down. ATS mods removed it once they obviously didn't like it. Don't take a chance with your account. lol

Post a link so people can see it but don't embed it.

Though it is important for people to see if they want to know what we've been arguing about. at least partially.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by drew1749

When defending yourself I think it's okay (im going to use the video you linked as an example here) but I don't think a kid should defend himself if he's 4x bigger than the kid bullying him. It isn't fair and isn't right. I mean that video the big kid was totally out of line.

In the situation I linked to in the OP though I can totally understand the victim fighting back. Does that make sense? I just don't think if we teach people that violence might "sometimes'' be the answer it's going to help in the long run. Actually it might hurt in the long run. Violence is only okay in a fair fight and nobody should have the idea that it's okay to use physical violence against someone who is name caller or something stupid like that.

Ok, so i will ask you again: If you were getting beaten and punched in the face, would you not defend yourself?

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:12 PM
link   

Hey AllUrChips I'd recommend taking that down. ATS mods removed it once they obviously didn't like it. Don't take a chance with your account. lol

Post a link so people can see it but don't embed it.

Though it is important for people to see if they want to know what we've been arguing about. at least partially.

Thanks for lookin out man they took it down because it was a one liner post the mod said. So I made sure as to add more lines.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by Miraj

Of course.

I know what you're getting at man, and Im not saying assault isn't assault. Assault is assault. But the motive in this case I find particularly more sickening than someone getting picked on for buck teeth, or some of the kids that tried to pick on me because I was fat in high school (unfortunate for them, I was stubborn).

If you're on a jury, are you really not going to take into account as to why someone assaulted another?

To be completely honest I'm not sure. If the prosecution can prove that the person who committed the assault did so with malice without blatantly telling us the motive then no I wouldn't need a motive. Then again proving malice is sort of explaining what the motive is.

You make a good point. On your other things I would say that being bullyed because you're gay is the current issue that everyone cares about but I personally don't find it any more sickening than someone getting picked on because of their appearance. Can you explain why you feel that this is more sickening then other types of bullying situations?

Also I'm enjoying the discussion. Thanks for taking an interest in my thread everyone.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:14 PM
link   

Thank you. This is actually something we can discuss in this topic. Do you really think violence is an okay response to a bully? To me it just kind of keeps the cycle going. Not to mention that video right there I don't like at all. The small boy may be a bully but he didn't deserve to be body slammed into the ground like that.

Am I wrong in thinking like this? You should only fight to defend yourself physically. Well actually in the situation that I actually linked to I would be okay with the victim fighting back...but in most situations I don't think it's right.

IMO not fighting back is what keeps the cycle going. The bullies see this as a weakness and will continue to torture others until they receive a taste of their own medicine. I was taught to fight back. I was also taught not to start fights but finish them if someone started one with me. I told my story once before on here. I used to run away from the older bullies in my neighborhood. One day when I ran home, my dad locked the door on me and said “this running crap is going to stop today.” He made me fight my bullies right there in my front yard. I got my butt whipped by the bully but he never bothered me again. I’d hate to think of where I would be in life if I would have kept running.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   

More specifically let me specify the situation I see in the video:

If I was getting punched on by a eleven year old kid and I was say fifteen, then no I would not fight back. I'd be a bit more mature than that.

However if I was getting punched on and beaten up by another kid my age sure I'd fight back.

edit: As for the other post. You're welcome. I'm just scared of the mods.
They do a good job moderating this place and even though they make me mad at times I know their rule is law.
edit on 10/28/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:17 PM
link   
When I was in high school and gay, I was mostly left alone. I had a very lonely growing up experience. It felt like there was nobody to confide in or get any direction whatsoever. It felt abysmal at the time. Thankfully, no one beat on me.

After high school, I went into the military. That is when I started to find my confidence. Began working out and was determined not to be bullied in any way. It worked.

For those of you reading this and are young......it really does get better.

Through my mid twenties and late 30's I maintained a hard body only because I would not tolerate other people being down on me. It definitely worked. I've given up on the shell of my body at my mid forties, yet I still have my confidence.

Had a great career (looks mean everything), had everything that others in the mainstream had. I feel such great empathy for anyone going through this. It is a bit rough at times.

But hey........it does get better. Don't give up. S & F.
edit on 28-10-2011 by brilab45 because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:19 PM
link   

Actually there is a whole thread on that video here:
www.abovetopsecret.com...

Don't want to totally derail the topic getting into that. I will just say it is my belief that you have a right to defend yourself from assault, even if the person happens to be smaller than you.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

More specifically let me specify the situation I see in the video:

If I was getting punched on by a eleven year old kid and I was say fifteen, then no I would not fight back. I'd be a bit more mature than that.

However if I was getting punched on and beaten up by another kid my age sure I'd fight back.

edit: As for the other post. You're welcome. I'm just scared of the mods.
They do a good job moderating this place and even though they make me mad at times I know their rule is law.
edit on 10/28/2011 by drew1749 because: (no reason given)

Point taken but I would venture to say they were the same age. Probabaly in the same class. Its not unusual for some kids to be bohemuths due to obesity and the like.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by topdog30

Thank you. This is actually something we can discuss in this topic. Do you really think violence is an okay response to a bully? To me it just kind of keeps the cycle going. Not to mention that video right there I don't like at all. The small boy may be a bully but he didn't deserve to be body slammed into the ground like that.

Am I wrong in thinking like this? You should only fight to defend yourself physically. Well actually in the situation that I actually linked to I would be okay with the victim fighting back...but in most situations I don't think it's right.

IMO not fighting back is what keeps the cycle going. The bullies see this as a weakness and will continue to torture others until they receive a taste of their own medicine. I was taught to fight back. I was also taught not to start fights but finish them if someone started one with me. I told my story once before on here. I used to run away from the older bullies in my neighborhood. One day when I ran home, my dad locked the door on me and said “this running crap is going to stop today.” He made me fight my bullies right there in my front yard. I got my butt whipped by the bully but he never bothered me again. I’d hate to think of where I would be in life if I would have kept running.

Well I'm torn on this issue. As I've been saying I don't think it's wrong to fight back against someone older than you or bigger than you (or your own age). I do think it's wrong to fight someone younger than you though.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:23 PM
link   

I believe that I read somewhere that the kid who slammed the younger kid into the ground was like fifteen and the younger kid I don't remember what grade he was in. Maybe seventh?

Anyways one of my friends sent it to me when it first came out like "this should happen to all bullies' and I watched it and was shocked for some reason. I just don't like it. lol

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

I agree on that as well, cool, we agree

I would always defend myself no matter whatthough personally

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   

If you got violently assaulted for your wallet, wouldn't you want the law to come down just as hard as someone that got violently assaulted for being gay? That is really the point I want to make about the whole thing. It really shouldn't matter why, the end result is still the same, someone got the crap kicked out of them.

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join