It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

From Darkness to Eternity [D&G]

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:23 PM
link   
From Darkness to Eternity [D&G]

--------------------------------------------------

[color=gold]July 21st 2013

Dear diary,

It has been seven months to this day. This will probably be my last entry in this book. I am now the sole survivor of H.U.U. (Homeland Underground Unit) 16. My eight hundred and forty nine co-occupiers are all gone. I prayed God to not be the last one to go but my prayers somehow got lost and didn’t reach. I wish it was otherwise. But I am no longer terrified. I welcome death with open arms. The last medical log has –without a doubt – shown a decrease in health. I can only hope that it isn’t a lie. I can no longer tolerate lies.

To anyone finding this diary, consider it a legacy of what happened. A legacy of the past. A legacy of the truth. A legacy of a nonexistent future.

And may God have mercy on your soul.

Jane B. Wilkins
H.U.U. 16 Attendant

As I put down my pen, I start looking back through this diary, falling on random pages. Reading briefly once again what I am trying so hard to forget...

[color=gold]November 21st 2012

Dear Diary,

I am so happy ! I have been chosen ! They have mentioned that my experience and leadership is required aboard one of the units ! I will be attending to people’s needs. Whatever that may mean...

I have to submit a medical as I will be sedated for travel. Location must remain anonymous.

[color=gold]December 28th 2012

Dear Diary,

It has been a week since the cosmic cloud has passed. If the scientist’s findings were accurate, there is no more life up there. I can only wonder if some have survived. If some have found a way. I hope so. It makes me sad to think that only a few hundred thousand have made it through...

There are no news from up there. TV stations are nil, radios are silent. A silence of death.

[color=gold]January 17th 2013

Dear diary,

A fire. My God ! The left section of the unit is totally destroyed. Hundreds of deaths are reported. I am way at the end of the right side of the unit and the smoke was almost unbearable. I wanted to help but was ordered to stay put. A few hundred of us are quarantined until further notice.

The smell is horrendous. Will I ever forget the screams?

Dear God ! How will I sleep tonight ?

Tears are flowing. In retrospect, five hundred and twenty seven people perished that day. More than half the unit population. A horrible death. Much worse than a poisonous cloud ! There are no longer any medication to help me sleep. They have miscalculated that as well. The nightmares are intolerable. The wall circulation fans have cleaned the air but I can still smell the burning flesh. The burning hair. The final smell of putrefaction. And the screams. My God, the screams...

[color=gold]February 4th 2013

Dear diary,

Liars !!!

How could they not forecast a virus outbreak ???? How could they not calculate enough medication for the sick ???? Why ??? WHY ????

[color=gold]March 26th 2013

Dear diary,

There are only a little over a hundred of us alive. And I don’t know just how long we will last. The fire had destroyed a lot of the supplies and water containers. The medical supplies are being ratified. Dr. Helmslock is trying to reassure everyone but I can see the fear in his eyes. Supplies are running short. The virus has been cleared but it left some second effects. We are all affected by hallucinations. Yesterday, I saw a snake in the kitchen. Now, I know that there aren’t any snakes down here. It’s impossible. But I can recognize a coral snake when I see one. Don’t know where it went. I hate snakes...

[color=gold]April 20th 2013

Dear diary,

My roommate hung herself. I cannot stop crying. Judy was seeing spiders everywhere ! I know for a fact that she was hallucinating since she went into a crazy royal fit right in front of me. She was yelling and screaming, I could see the vein on her neck protruding in a dangerous way ! She was trying to climb onto anything she could get her feet on. She was terrified. I tried to calm her down as best as I could but only a needle shot from Helmslock would give results. She would then sleep for a few days. And then the hysteria would happen again, over and over. And those supplies also ran short. I would say that at least a dozen people have committed suicide since we ran out of shots. One man set himself on fire. A living human torch. Rumors have it that he kept seeing faces coming out of the walls. Along with arms that would try to grab him. I am so tired. And I keep seeing snakes. I try to reason myself. There are no snakes down here.

[color=gold]May 5th 2013

Dear diary,

Helmslock killed himself. What are we gonna do now? A few dozens of us are still alive but for how long? The good doctor decided to overdose on sleeping pills !!! Thanks Doc !!! Now, just HOW will I sleep???

This morning a snake tried to bite me. What the hell ?? There shouldn’t be snakes down here ! Maybe it’s them eating the food. At that rate, we won’t make it to this fall. Damn snakes !

I haven’t eaten in six days. No more food. Just water. And little doses at a time. I haven’t seen snakes in a while. They are secured in the corridor, behind my locked door. I am slowly drifting away...sleeping more than I should. Maybe I could be lucky enough to just fade out as I sleep? But I still have strength to read a bit...and perhaps, write a few final words...

[color=gold]June 23th 2013

Happy Twenty Seventh Birthday Jane !!!

I couldn’t find a cake but I did light a candle ! As most lights have burned out by now and that darn fire destroyed replacements, I still consider myself joyful. Derek , Bryan and Kendra have come by to wish me a happy one. Derek is an amazing musician. He is a wonderful guitar player. The four of us danced and had fun. It felt good to laugh for a change! But Bryan looked terrible. He’s got these wounds that keep getting infected. Kendra told me that she cleaned worms out of them a few days ago. He’s always in pain. While dancing on a slow tune, magically played by Derek, he whispered in my ear “ You know Jane, the only comfort I have is when the cats lick the wounds. THAT really feels good !”. I smiled at him knowing that he was losing the battle. Those three were brought here as engineers. They have told me stories of what was planned and what the government actually did. They cut in the expenses. They saved where they could. They promised hope but it was all lies. They knew that no one would make it. Except for them maybe, in H.U.U. 1.

Fear and despair are becoming overwhelming, even on my birthday. I don’t want to die.

---To Be Continued On Next Reply---

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   

[color=gold]July 4th 2013

Dear diary,

Bryan is dead. Derek killed himself. Kendra found him. Guitar strings around his neck. The silence is frightening. All lights are out. The few candles we have left are casting shadows. I am petrified. Kendra is terrified. Is there anyone else alive? We are too scared to venture out in the corridors. And they are full of snakes.

The fireworks of freedom have been replaced by shadows on the walls. I can deal with the darkness. But not the silence. I keep hearing cracks and squeeks and bizarre noises. Kendra is asleep but her breathing is so irregular. And she has lost so much weight! And she has become so weak, she can hardly walk. I have to help her to the washroom. And it takes me all I got! She started urinating and vomiting blood today. I tell her not to worry, it happens to me too. We’ll make it.

Apparently I have become a liar too...

I don’t know exactly on which day Kendra passed away. She is still in her bed. I pretend that she is sleeping. The smell is bad but I’ve seen much worse.

This is my last candle. And it’s almost consumed. Oh my God No ! The door to the corridor hasn’t been closed properly ! The snakes ! Oh no ! There must be hundreds of them by now! Oh No!

I am taking the rifle with me. I won’t go without a fight. But I’ll keep the last bullet for me.

Thank you for reading!

Link to Part II
edit on 5/11/11 by masqua because: edit by request

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   
reply to post by SonoftheSun

Very sick, scary story, I see this as a short film as your words created a visual in my mind as I read.

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:45 AM
link   
Did you write this story, or you found it? good story tho

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
I’m hoping the snakes are real, she shoots one, eats it, but she is smart enough not kill them all at once.

I loved the diary thank you for sharing.
And i agree this would make a cool short film.

love and harmony
Whateva

posted on Oct, 31 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
Thank you for your kind responses.

Yes, I wrote the story. Originally, it was meant as a post apocalyptic story regarding Occupy. (The previous contest). The diary idea was already in the back of my mind. So what I actually did was to change it into a December 21st 2012 (doom and gloom anyone?...anyone?...bueller...bueller...) and came out with this.

I also think it would make a good short film or perhaps the bases for a good script.

But it was out of fun and pleasure for this new contest. I lol @ Antar's reply...sick and scary...

I always thought Stephen King has to be a psychopath to write what he does...

But it's all in good fun and I hope it encourages other members to join in and contribute.

I appreciate the replies and comments. Thank you all so much !

ETA: P.S. I really am scared s**tless of snakes !!
edit on 31-10-2011 by SonoftheSun because: post scriptum.

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
Thank you for your kind responses.

Yes, I wrote the story. Originally, it was meant as a post apocalyptic story regarding Occupy. (The previous contest). The diary idea was already in the back of my mind. So what I actually did was to change it into a December 21st 2012 (doom and gloom anyone?...anyone?...bueller...bueller...) and came out with this.

I also think it would make a good short film or perhaps the bases for a good script.

But it was out of fun and pleasure for this new contest. I lol @ Antar's reply...sick and scary...

I always thought Stephen King has to be a psychopath to write what he does...

But it's all in good fun and I hope it encourages other members to join in and contribute.

I appreciate the replies and comments. Thank you all so much !

ETA: P.S. I really am scared s**tless of snakes !!
edit on 31-10-2011 by SonoftheSun because: post scriptum.

It kind of brings to reality of life today and life that is about to happen..Very good writing...Im sure you can come up with so so more....Good job

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

Thank you !

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 08:32 AM
link   

Well written and entertaining. I enjoyed it very much.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   
reply to post by ladyinwaiting

Thank you very much, Ladyinwaiting ! Much appreciated !!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 12:52 PM
link   
reply to post by Whateva69

I’m hoping the snakes are real, she shoots one, eats it, but she is smart enough not kill them all at once.

Unfortunately, my dear Whateva69, the snakes are hallucinations. I have most of what happens next in my head now and most probably will add to this story over the weekend.

For the moment, I will just leave you with this:

She had been quarantined. The feeling that she is the sole survivor is her own perception and hers only.

edit on 4-11-2011 by SonoftheSun because: booboo

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
This was excellent. I truly enjoyed reading it and loved the diary snapshots of what she is going through. Great job!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:08 PM
link   
reply to post by Ceriddwen

Thank you ! I am glad you enjoyed !!

posted on Nov, 4 2011 @ 08:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by SonoftheSun
reply to post by Whateva69

Unfortunately, my dear Whateva69, the snakes are hallucinations. I have most of what happens next in my head now and most probably will add to this story over the weekend.

For the moment, I will just leave you with this:

She had been quarantined. The feeling that she is the sole survivor is her own perception and hers only.

edit on 4-11-2011 by SonoftheSun because: booboo

Oh wow, i totally didn’t see this, awesome big surprise, I’m normally pretty good at guessing scenarios in writing and in movies, my family gets annoyed because I normally guess what’s going to happen before it has.

But this plot is brilliant.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
Part II

------------------------------

[color=gold]July 21st 2013

Dear diary,

It has been seven months to this day. This will probably be my last entry in this book. I am now the sole survivor of H.U.U. (Homeland Underground Unit) 16. My eight hundred and forty nine co-occupiers are all gone. I prayed God to not be the last one to go but my prayers somehow got lost and didn’t reach. I wish it was otherwise. But I am no longer terrified. I welcome death with open arms. The last medical log has –without a doubt – shown a termination. I can only hope that it isn’t a lie. I can no longer tolerate lies.

To anyone finding this diary, consider it a legacy of what happened. A legacy of the past. A legacy of the truth. A legacy of a nonexistent future.

And may God have mercy on your soul.

Jane B. Wilkins
H.U.U. 16 Attendant

I don’t know exactly on which day Kendra passed away. She is still in her bed. I pretend that she is sleeping. The smell is bad but I’ve seen much worse.

This is my last candle. And it’s almost consumed. Oh my God No ! The door to the corridor hasn’t been closed properly ! The snakes ! Oh no ! There must be hundreds of them by now! Oh No!

I am taking the rifle with me. I won’t go without a fight. But I’ll keep the last bullet for me.

As I make my way to the door, very slowly, I can feel my heartbeat getting faster and faster. With my left hand I slowly push it, keeping my eyes – and the rifle – aiming towards the floor. There is still plenty of light in the corridor and it gradually hurts my eyes. The door is almost widely open now and there are no signs of snakes. It is strangely quiet.

I gather enough courage and gamble a “Hello? Anybody out there?”. My questions eerily echo within the void. I lean against the wall, sit down and start breathing again. I reason to myself that there are no snakes down here, I am getting over the second effects and am slowly getting back to reality.

I take out my diary and decide to add to it. Apparently, my time hasn’t come yet...

[color=gold]And may God have mercy on your soul.

Jane B. Wilkins
H.U.U. 16 Attendant

P.S. It isn’t over yet. I am weak but will try and find others. We had been quarantined in our section until further notice but it is now evident that this further notice will never come. If everyone were quarantined in their different sections, maybe there are still others, like me, who are looking for survivors. I will tend to this diary at every chance I get. But for the moment I must find food.

I get back up and nervously start walking. I know parts of my section well and slowly take the corridor towards the cafeteria. The lights are dim and flicker. My eyes are really hurting as I try to focus at every corner. I stop for a brief moment as I get to a door that holds a plaque mentioning “ROOM 8 – Engineering”. The bodies of Derek and Bryan are in there and there is just no way I’ll open that door. I want to remember them as I saw them last. Smiling, laughing, dancing and somewhat happy.

I make a right turn and head to the end of the corridor. There are numerous doors along the way but the silence is relevant. And I mustn’t forget my number one priority which is food. First ordeal of survival. As I stand in front of the double doors, I stop and try to get my thoughts back together. I made it. I smile as I never envisioned to be so happy while reading a wall plaque that says “Cafeteria”...

I push the left hand door with the end of the rifle, again looking at the floor. Snakes. If there are some down here – I shake my head as I think about this – they must gather in here. First ordeal of survival is a very basic instinct. I start laughing, out of a nervous conclusion that they really were hallucinations. My eyes are now covering the area as far as I can see and there is just nothing here. Just silence.

I start walking hastily to the first refrigerator and open the door. Thank God ! Some of the food has started to rot but I get my hands on that chicken that just is simply irresistible!

~ Continued on next reply...

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   

[color=gold] July 21st or maybe 22nd ...not sure...

Dear diary,

The is the happiest I have been since my birthday ! I am slowly eating – don’t want to overeat and be sick – and am having apple juice. I feel better already. The snakes were really just hallucinations and I am happy that I can put this nightmare to rest. I will make myself a bag of canned fruits and vegetables, along with items that are slower to waste, not forgetting a good supply of water. My next step is the medical facility, where I plan on making a supply of necessities in case I were to find others and they be in need of medical help.

I don’t know how big the bunker is but I will then try to find ammunition. If I find a way out of this place, I will take my chances.

Jane Wilkins

I feel unsafe to leave the cafeteria behind as I could last for a long time in there, with all that food. It angers me that they had rationed everyone under false pretenses. There was still plenty in there for all of us. Liars. But I should not spend my time thinking about that and focus on my next personal goal. The medical facility, never been there, so wherever that may be!

I am now walking with a normal pace along a labyrinth of corridors. Looking at different wall plaques here and there. “Room 11 – Cleansing “...why the heck couldn’t they just name it “Washroom” like everyone one else...I smile at the arrogance behind the idea...

GOT IT!! “Room 12 – Rx” !! I don’t know if this is the medical room or just a pharmaceutical one but I just couldn’t help it and let out a “YEAH !!” out loud! And for the very first time, the silence was broken by someone or something other than me. Something was dropped and broke into multiple pieces behind that door. The noise was almost unnatural. Could be another human, could be snakes...

I turn the handle very slowly and notice that it is locked. I put more strength into trying to open it but it is locked from the inside. I could fire at the thing and destroy that stupid door lock but I choose otherwise.

I knock on the door with the rifles end...

“Hello, (almost screaming) this is Jane Wilkins. Anybody in there??”

My heart starts beating like a drum when I hear a clicking sound that evidently unlocked the door. I step a little back as the door slowly opens.

Before I lose consciousness, I am almost sure I saw a ghost.

The door just opened enough to reveal a familiar face. But it cannot be. It’s impossible.

Darkness surrounds me as I whisper...”Derek...”...

Thank you for reading, once more.

Will post the conclusion before the contest ends.

Hope you enjoy !

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 02:58 PM
link   
Part III - Conclusion

“Hello, (almost screaming) this is Jane Wilkins. Anybody in there??”

My heart starts beating like a drum when I hear a clicking sound that evidently unlocked the door. I step a little back as the door slowly opens.

Before I lose consciousness, I am almost sure I saw a ghost.

The door just opened enough to reveal a familiar face. But it cannot be. It’s impossible.

Darkness surrounds me as I whisper...”Derek...”...

[color=gold]August 2nd 2013

Dear diary,

I was out for a few days. It turns out that my terminal frail condition has played tricks on me and I was told that while I was out, fever set in. I was told that I went into some sort of delirium, that I was married to Derek, had three children, Cassandra, Jonathan and Chrissy...if only. Maybe, just maybe I wouldn’t feel so depressed if this was true. But reality is settling in. – sigh -

Derek is well and alive. It turns out that Kendra had hallucinations of seeing people dead. So, she did see Derek dead but it was all in her mind. He probably was just asleep when she saw him with strings around his neck. Poor Kendra. Bryan is really dead. So is Dr. Helmslock. And most people down here. Now that I have gained a little bit of strengths back, Derek and I will venture out and try to find others. Or an exit. Which ever comes first.

”Feel strong enough to get going, Jane?” Derek asked me, with some sort of weird look in his eyes.

“I should be fine. For now.” Was the only answer, that I felt, reflected the truth.

Our first stop would be wherever we would find ammo. I presently carry a bag of medicine and Derek carries the bag of food and water, which is much heavier than mine. As we go through corridor after corridor, Derek opens the various doors and peeks in. No one is alive thus far.

We finally arrive at a door that carries a plaque mentioning “ – Private – “. No room number is attached to it. There are multiple locks on this door and a few electronic ones. Derek fires multiple shots at these locks without results. The security for this room is just too much. We are almost deaf from the loud echo that keeps hurling around from the gunshots. In any case, anyone alive in that room would have opened the door at some point afterwards. If only to see what all that massive firing was all about...

We have decided to continue along the corridor. We arrived at a cross point. The left corridor had reminiscent of fire on the walls. This was the section that burned down. No way. Derek wanted to go inside that section to have a peek but I dissuaded him. NO WAY!

As we sat down to rest and eat a bit, I took advantage of the moment...

[color=gold]Or an exit. Which ever comes first.

It is later in the night. Don’t know what time it is. It is awkward that all clocks and watches have stopped working. We haven’t found anyone yet. Odds are, we won’t either. I wonder if Derek knows that I will die at some point. That will make HIM the sole survivor of this part of History.

But I will keep seeking with him, until one of three possibilities arises.

1. We find others.
2. We find an exit.
3. I die.

God willing.

Jane Wilkins

I am tired. Exhausted. At the end of the roll. I don’t want this anymore! This is too hard!

“Be careful what you wish for, it might come true” says Derek as he turns to me with a smile. He is pointing at the end of the corridor. I focus and see a ladder on the wall, with a sign that says “Emergency Exit”...

I summon all the strengths in my legs and start running forward. There is a hatch on the ceiling. Derek is looking at me, without questioning, I can clearly hear him thinking...

“Is there air up there? If there is, it is filled with poison? Is there anyone alive up there?”

I push him aside, start climbing the ladder and very slowly, start to turn the wheel on the hatch.

~Continued on next reply

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Conclusion

“We’ll find out soon enough.” I think while holding my breath. Suddenly, there is a whoosh that comes through the seals. Air is coming through. I push the hatch upwards. I am totally blinded by the daylight. I can’t see. This overwhelming white light is burning my eyes! Yet I manage to step out. Into the light.

I must be dead. I hear applauses. A celebration is under way. Laughter and music! My God. I died.

“Simulation Complete” says a computerized voice.

What? Wait. What? Where am I? What’s going on? What is this??

My eyes are slowly adjusting. There are many people here. I am inside a room. There is a mirror on the wall. I walk towards it and see my reflection. I see myself changing, aging as I get closer to the mirror, I notice a strange neon blue light slowly evading from my eyes. And then I remember!! Everything!!

I turn around, only to have Cassandra take me in her arms. As she softly whispers to my ear “Happy Birthday, Mom”.

Tears are becoming hard to hold within. Derek, my husband, older looking now is smiling at me. Dr. Helmslock winks at me as he shows me the brochure...

Jonathan is laughing along with Chrissy who is applauding with tears of happiness in her eyes. AH! They must be too proud of themselves!! Tears of joy and motherly pride are now flowing down my cheeks.

Derek confesses. “Everyone contributed, Jane. Even your cheap *** boss Bryan.”

“Heard that!” says Bryan as he is makes his way out of the bunker, smiling at me, his wife Kendra (my best friend) and his daughter Judy soon to follow in his steps. Man! They played their parts well!!

“You will no longer suffer from depression, as long as you live. It is money back guarantee haha, Happy Birthday my Love...” Derek says as he takes me in his arms for the longest embrace...that, I know now, will have lasting memories for an Eternity.

[color=gold]June 23rd 2692

Dear e-diary,

Derek, the kids and dear friends have given me the greatest gift of all today. A gift I will always remember. A gift that I will forever hold dearly in my heart. A gift of Life...

From Darkness to Eternity,

Jane Bella Wilkins, logging off and wishing herself a Happy Fifty Seventh Birthday !!!

I had planned to put this later on this weekend but work needs to come first. So there it is now.

I hope you enjoy as much reading this story as I enjoyed writing it.

Being french, I will admit that this was both challenging and fun.

Now, I need a beer !!

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:52 PM
link   
Son! That was awesome! Never saw it coming. I also liked the way you alternated the diary and having her comment on her own comments. Very creative. I hope you do well in the contest.

posted on Nov, 5 2011 @ 09:59 PM
link   

Amazing how a simple diary can evoke the darkest of fears. That's because such a story is inherently limited...we only get the perspective provided by the short entries the diary author allows, thus leaving so much else to the reader's imagination. And imagination is far more powerful that the written word or the silver screen. Thank you for sharing your story, and I give you a flag.

top topics

<<   2 >>

join