It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter set to be Occupy movement's 'Valley Forge'

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 07:58 PM
link   
As the 2011 Winter season begins to make it's presence known, it should be interesting to see how protesters react to freezing temperatures, and increasing snowfall amounts.

www.msnbc.msn.com...

This is a vital point in time for this movement. It could make or break, counting these protests as a success. If protesters opt. to stick it out through the cold, and continue showing their 'unmovable' determination, they may gain a lot of respect from the people who have looked down on them. But if they finally give-way, and fall to the brutal weather conditions, they just might lose everything they have done so far. Causing many to remember OWS as a mere distraction, or causing many to forget it all together.

(I now open the floor.)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:01 PM
link   
I can tell you right now, because I am watching them from a coffee spot as I type, the OWS here in New Mexico is going to fail with the weather. They went from 50 people, to 7. I don't see them sticking around here. Plus 13 of them got arrested.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:04 PM
link   
i'll tell you what...this HAARP is proving to be very useful

first it causes giant earthquakes
then it causes tornadoes and flooding
then it destroys elenin
and then...it quiets the occupy movement

back on topic
i would not sit out in the freezing cold all winter. so if they do...they get my respect.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:05 PM
link   
I think it will settle down in the northern hemisphere till spring, but remember the Southern Hemisphere is heating up.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
Let's put it this way. I've seen people camp out longer for electronics, Star Wars, Twilight, and Harry Potter combined than the OWS gang.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:07 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

They might just go into winter hybernation and if they are smart, they will use that plan to time a Springtime OWS, to create a more cohesive message.

As individuals I believe that many of them have intellegence, but as a group...they're dumber than a box of rocks.

I will be totally amazed if no one dies of hypothermia trying to "Occupy" in the dead of winter.

The first test could be this weekend as a matter of fact. There is a strong front moving to New York.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:13 PM
link   
What did man ever do before having a warm house to live in. lol
We lived outside. It'll get figured out.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:29 PM
link   
reply to post by iunlimited491

I would suggest that they build a fire, but they might get shot for doing that.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:35 PM
link   
It's hit freezing temperatures now, but OWS Canada is still there. There's a bylaw in some places about camping in city parks, but local governments seem to letting that slide as long as things stay peaceful and other activities in the parks can still take place.

There are some areas up here that will get too cold to be safe outside soon.
It's a much smaller movement up here, the problems aren't near as bad up here as in the US.

www.cbc.ca...

"Our focus now is on creating a safe space for the winter. We are getting generators for the winter [including one solar one] that have been donated, and we are trying to create a safe, inclusive community — the same thing we want represented by our governments.

"We have a number of political issues we are working at addressing, and after our winter planning is in place, we will move forward and detail what our demands are as a movement."

Earlier this week, Occupy Toronto received a boost from Coun. Gord Perks, who put forth a motion, seconded by Coun. Shelley Carroll, that city council endorse "the peaceful protests of the Occupy Toronto movement." The motion has been referred to the executive committee.

In Winnipeg, campers in roughly a dozen tents remain at Memorial Park in the city's downtown, despite temperatures hovering around 0 C this week.

Blankets, warm clothing and a campfire fuelled by donated firewood are keeping the Occupy Winnipeg protesters warm.

The Manitoba government, which is responsible for Memorial Park, told CBC News it won't be asking people to clear away tents at this time. Winnipeg police said they have not received any complaints about campers so far.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:48 PM
link   
According to the article, they're trying to acquire military grade tents and cots. But the problem is that I highly doubt the cops are going to allow a small 'military' encampment in the middle of Zuccotti park, or anywhere else for that matter. Protesters are also receiving tips from the homeless, who have survived numerous outdoor winters. And $500,000 in donations should be able to offer some type of relief from the elements. But I still think many are going to struggle with their morale... a few feet of snow, in below zero conditons, after a few weeks, will more than likely introduce a "what am I doing here?" type of thought process.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   
I think they, the canadian Occupy movement could hold out till December possibly January if they plan it out they could even make a reality show about it. I would watch a kind of jersey shore meets freezing your @$$ off

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:59 PM
link   
reply to post by gaurdian2012

Haha, I guess MTV's True Life should have waited a few months.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:41 PM
link   
I think it will probably die down "on the streets" quite a bit over winter and I don't blame them...but ties have been made, interest has taken and we have the internet. I

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:01 PM
link   
In some of the protests, I think in NYC, they are taking the fuel cans for the protestors saying it is a fire hazard..excuses. Maybe they can run a nice long extension cord and use electric heaters if kerosene heaters are such a concern

CNN Video
edit on 28-10-2011 by THE_PROFESSIONAL because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:42 PM
link   
Valley Forge? Give me a break MSNBC.

Comparing this to Valley Forge and George Washington. Wow! Nice stretch. Never heard anything like that come out of MSNBC when referring to any aspect of the Tea Part Rallies.

To the OWS crowd and the campers in Zuccotti Park. Be careful. Fatigue is taking over and I understand fights are breaking out in a specific corner of the park. Add cold and extreme discomfort to the preexisting fatigue and you've got more trouble.

The last think NYC needs is volatile fuel and open flames added to this powder keg. Yes it is for their own safety. Most of these people have no idea how to properly run a generator or how to safely refuel it. No, you don't add fuel while its running or while the engine is still hot after shutting it down.

Stupid people do stupid things when pushed to their outermost limits. These people will also blame the city if they get hurt as a result of their own mistakes.
edit on 28-10-2011 by jibeho because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
I would recommend some type of rechargeable heat source. But either way, it's going to be extremely difficult to keep EVERYONE warm. I'm sure they might find ways of keeping most people moderately comfortable, but this is absolutely going to be their biggest challenge so far. Needless to say, cold weather and snow will be a reoccurring theme throughout the Winter, and it's only fall. I suggest they bundle up, because it's only the beginning. And with rumors of another record breaking Winter, in most parts of the country, they need to put this on top of the priority list. It's important, not only for the movement, but for their health as well.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   
(Update)

Occupy Wall Street Counters Confiscation With Bike Powered Generators

In an attempt to freeze out and black out Occupy Wall Street, Mayor Bloomberg confiscated all electric generators. In response Occupy Wall Street is searching for replacement power including bike generators.

Bloomberg disguised his confiscation as a safety issue, “Our first two concerns are First Amendment and safety, and this was safety. People were courteous and understanding. The story of this morning is that there was no story.” However, it is not a coincidence that this raid was carried out just a day before winter weather is expected to arrive in the New York City area. What Bloomberg is doing is obvious. He is trying to both freeze out the protesters, and impose a blackout on their message.

Source

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
Come rain or shine, sun or winter, OWS is still standing. To the courageous lot:-

edit on 1-11-2011 by SeekerofTruth101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
I think I will wait until mid-end of January before I drive by in my toasty warm car...slowly...drinking my massive mug of hot chocoloate.

I may smile and wave

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 02:42 PM
link   

Originally posted by peck420
I think I will wait until mid-end of January before I drive by in my toasty warm car...slowly...drinking my massive mug of hot chocoloate.

I may smile and wave

It's okay. Hope you enjoy your personal self centred warmth. As long as you can live with your conscience, then its alright, while others in OWS will STILL BE STANDING, in the cold, with a smile in return.

They do so with no thought for returns or profits. They are only answering to a higher calling - for others to survive in the face of woes to come by the continued errors of political and economic errors by leaders, braving the elements, both manmade and natural..

Some of them in OWS could jolly well do better than you - go to florida or even Bali in Indonesia to enjoy the sun and surf there than be in NY. But they do so simply because they have convictions, conscience and empathy for others, to brave the rain, winds and sub-temp cold, so as to seek for progress and evolution of not just themselves, but others and the comming innocent next generations, bearing all suffering and pain to make a point to the authorities.

While you may have little or no conscience, I am sure your next generations will be grateful for what OWS had done when they mature, just as many of us were of our forefathers in 1776, the civil war, and the anti war protests over Vietnam in the late 60s.

Keep warm and be comfortable, not only to you, a fellow human, but to every OWS participant worldwide. :-)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join