It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

buddhism the logical choice

page: 5
<< 2  3  4   >>

join
share:

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:12 PM
link   
I think it's illogical for anyone to tout one religion/spiritual discipline as the "truth," from Buddhism all the way to Christianity, and everything in between. I understand what you're saying, and I agree to some extent - that is, I agree that Buddhism has many advantages and inherently positive tenants than many monotheistic religions, for example. But it's one thing to make the argument that something is the best choice for you, and quite another to claim that it's also the best choice for the rest of humanity.

As an individual who believes in/practices/follows many Buddhist teachings, I don't focus on it completely. It's my opinion that there is wisdom and truth contained within every single belief system (yes, even the monotheistic ones!), and that to truly evolve and develop in a positive direction across the entire world, we need to let go of notions of "right" and "wrong."

I don't mean to pick on you, I'm glad that you feel so strongly about Buddhism. It is truly an amazing religion, philosophy, and belief system - certainly, it is more intrinsically positive and altruistic toward the self and others than many of the other major religions in the world. However, I find it incorrect to assume that it contains all of the answers. For example, it forbids the use of intoxicants. If someone chooses to drink responsibly, use drugs safely, or take medications for a health condition, they would be considered either a poor Buddhist or not one at all (yes I understand that Buddhism as a religious discipline/practice is more flexible than most other belief systems, and that this is not always true, I'm just using this as an example to make a point).

Also, the process of elevating one system of beliefs over another is intuitively making a value judgement not only of the practice being championed but also about all others it denigrates. It limits the potential understandings and wisdoms contained in the systems it devalues. There is knowledge to be found EVERYWHERE. The future should be built on more positive, inclusive trajectories and modes of thinking and behavior, and this includes changing our attitude toward systems of information (which includes religion) with a completely different approach. Asking what is good about something, positive, and beneficial about whatever the item in question is, rather than what's wrong with it.

Why limit ourselves? Pitting people against each other based on trivial lines in the sand based on race, religion, etc. is the cause of MUCH of the world's suffering, and it's high time to change. I could be wrong, but I think Siddhartha Gautama Buddha himself would agree with that

posted on Nov, 2 2011 @ 11:16 PM
link   
Also, as there's no freaking way we've figured everything there is to be figured out in this world, there's also no way we could have a religion that accurately represents complete truth. The only truth we as humanity have right now is that there is no one truth, only possible truths.

Buddhism is as close to being a possible truth that we have, but I think saying it's the one and/or only truth is untrue

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
reply to post by jewdiful

sure there are problems with buddhism, or rather with some variations of it, for example i think most forms deny a soul too far, and there is an eternal, so there are flaws with all systems, buddhism teaches that.

posted on Nov, 3 2011 @ 11:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by jewdiful
Also, as there's no freaking way we've figured everything there is to be figured out in this world, there's also no way we could have a religion that accurately represents complete truth. The only truth we as humanity have right now is that there is no one truth, only possible truths.

Buddhism is as close to being a possible truth that we have, but I think saying it's the one and/or only truth is untrue

there is a parable of the poison arrow, a man struck by the arrow needs to remove it, but first he wishes to know who fired it from which clan and the type of wood, by the time he realizes all this he would be dead. first remove the arrow, suffering, then find the culprit.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4   >>

join