It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Magnitude 6.9 in Peru Just Now

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Odd, as usual no one has any reliable data that shows that this days, weeks, months or years earthquakes, are any different, than any other day, week, month, or year.

Guess I will check back tomorrow, for the data.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:47 PM
link   
reply to post by the owlbear

Okay, I'm impressed. I was just reading a thread earlier today that said there was some planetary alignment and to watch for earthquakes...lucky guess?

I heard the planetary alignments can trigger earthquakes theory before and also seen the data that supports it. I'm not 100% convinced because I haven't checked all the data I saw but when I heard about the quake today I felt the urge to check the JPL link I had. JPL

To my surprise the sun, earth, and Jupiter are coming into alignment sometime between today and tomorrow.

If this theory is true, we could see more large quakes over the next 24 hours or so.
edit on 28-10-2011 by IndieA because: addition

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:28 AM
link   
i just ran across this story on the quake , no deaths and no damnaged buildings thank god ..

www.ndtv.com...

Lima, Peru: A magnitude-6.9 earthquake centered off Peru's central coast sent people running panicked into the streets on Friday in cities badly damaged by a killer quake four years earlier. There were no reports of damage though hospital directors reported at least 20 injuries. Read more at: www.ndtv.com...&cp

after the deadly quake in turkey ,, ,,, im glad this one was not deadly at all......

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:33 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Just tried to PM you about your post. So since that didn't work out well I'm replying here. Could you please send me the prediction post you are referring to? I've kinda got a thing about the dArknight (can never remember his name) threads.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by missvicky
Just tried to PM you about your post. So since that didn't work out well I'm replying here. Could you please send me the prediction post you are referring to? I've kinda got a thing about the dArknight (can never remember his name) threads.

I know this was not addressed to me, but since I'm online I thought I would help out.

The original D4rk Kn1ght thread is here: A confession. Guilt makes me post this. [HOAX],

As you can see from the title, it has been moved to the Hoax Bin. There is an edit in the OP from Skeptic Overload:

edit on 26-8-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: Long overdue label of "HOAX" on this thread as it was a prank by a returning banned member.

There is also a post from SkepticOverlord in another thread about why it is a hoax. From here. In the "De-constructing: D4rk Kn1ght; A confession. Guilt makes me post this" thread:

Originally posted by SkepticOverlord
I can confirm that our senior staff had been doing some clean up on related topics, and discovered that the IP address used by "D4rk Kn1ght" was the same as that used by a previously banned member -- who was banned for posting UFO hoaxes.

During the "D4rk Kn1ght" tenure, and now, we're not in the habit of cross-checking IP addresses to look for banned members... it takes a lot of work as we have lots of new members every day.

In addition, "D4rk Kn1ght" posted a "good bye" thread (now trashed as we don't allow those) that implied an admission that at least some of his material was fiction. He said: "I have contributed art" as the opening statement of his good bye.

Make of this information what you will.
edit on 30-8-2011 by SkepticOverlord because: (no reason given)

Hope that helps!
OiO

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 11:29 AM
link   
Someone mentioned that this Peru earthquake is the 3rd this week, in the Pacific. Would appreciate it if someone who has the time, helps to dig out how many earthquakes there had been, in the Pacific alone, and within what period of time frame, as well as the locations involved. Why? If this had happened many times before - nothing to worry about (refering to earthquakes in the pacific). But if this has never happen before, and these are the first of its kind, then maybe it's trying to tell us something. And I hope it stays as theory.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Hmmm, I had some seriously freaky vertigo yesterday and part of the night before and had wondered if a quake would materialize. But I have a hard time believing this one is it. I'm not sure what to think about that. I have not had much time to get caught up on my news reading in the past 24 hours so I hope when I do, I will find the damage was minimal. There's have been too many EQ tragedies already.

That Dark Knight hoax was highly entertaining. I'm glad it was just a hoax though. And I'm glad I didn't sell everything I own and move to a remote mountain in Tibet because of it!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
reply to post by Cerridwen

The Pacific Ocean is surrounded by what's known as the "ring of fire", the regions along major faults that have very frequent quake activity. Quite honestly I wouldn't say that the recent activity in and on the edges of the Pacific has been anything out of the ordinary.

EDIT: whoever said there have been 3 quakes in the Pacific recently, might want to take a look at this map:

Source: USGS
As my "source link" says, it's from the USGS (United States Geological Survey) and it's for 8 pm UTC today. I set up the map to show the Pacific region. All those yellow squares are quakes in the past week but more than 24 hours ago, the blue squares are quakes less than 24 hours ago. I haven't counted all the Pacific quakes there (need to exclude ones within the US, for example), but it's a lot more than 3.

And that is a pretty normal-looking map.

Just for rough comparison, here's a map from my archives that dates from June 2008. Give or take a few quakes, it's pretty much the same sort of picture: quakes popping off round most of the Pacific Rim:

(Also from USGS but no longer available as a link because it's too long ago. But I link to the same map format below.)

It looks like this most of the time.

(End EDIT)

Here's a run-down of more-or-less what's been going on during the past week or so round the Pacific. I'll start in Sth America and work down and in clockwise direction round the region.

Okay, down along the west side of Sth America, there are often quakes and in fact we can see a few there even up in the high 5 to mag 6 range every month. The past week has been about average. Nothing huge by Sth American standards (biggest quake ever measured was in Chile in 1960 btw), and few reports of serious damage.

Going across the Pacific from Chile, there have been a few smallish quakes in the sthn middle region. A bit over a week ago there was one near Easter Island and one not far from Pitcairn. Not really common there but not super rare either. And they weren't large enough to be dangerous.

Moving around from there to the region off New Zealand, it's also very active. The Kermadec Islands had a magnitude 7.4 quake last week and some decent sized aftershocks. That was the biggest quake for a while now -- bigger than the one in Turkey -- but luckily it was well away from any main, inhabited islands and didn't harm anyone. Up and across to New Guinea,they've had a couple but again, nothing too bad and no reports of any serious damage or losses.

Then over into Indonesia -- well, that's actually been relatively quiet in the last few weeks with only a couple of quakes getting near mag 6, but most were down in the mag 5 range or even lower. However, a couple of volcanoes in Indonesia have been pretty active and erupting lately, such as Merapi and Anak Krakatau, but on the other hand as that country has about half the world's active volcanoes (about 200 there!), it's normal that a few of them are erupting to some extent. There are some links between volcanism there and quakes but it's not always a this-causes-that kind of thing, more like a secondary effect, it seems.

Moving on from there up past Taiwan towards Japan, the past week has not been very busy, but once up to Japan itself, there were some quakes in the Ryuku Islands (mag 5 range and no real drama), plus the ongoing aftershocks around Honshu from their massive quake back in March.

Okay, on up to the islands in the Alaskan region. These are always shaking and lately has been no different from usual. There was a mag 5.8 in the Fox Islands (Aleutian Islands region) on Tuesday 10/25 then a mag 5.5 on Friday 10/28 not far from there, but for that part of the world it's nothing the locals would even raise eyebrows much over, I think. They get ones in the magnitude 5 range every few weeks or so in that region on average.

Past Alaska and down past BC and Vancouver Island, it's been pretty peaceful offshore. Couple of teeny quakes that would barely be felt, just onshore near Eureka and also some small ones down into California but again, nothing out of the ordinary.
California gets literally hundreds of quakes a week but most are so small they're barely noticed. Biggest quake in Cali lately was a mag 4.7 on Thurs 10/27, about 10 miles from Whitehawk. Didn't do any harm, as far as reports indicate. Was nothing exceptional, for sure.

Down in SoCal, it's business as usual. Lots of little quakes, many going right down the line towards Mexicali. Nothing that would spill anyone's morning coffee, though.

There's been a mag 4.0 and also a 4.1 off the coast of Mexico in the past week, but both were on well-mapped fault lines and would have been barely felt on land, if at all.

And that brings us back to Sth America.

So, for the ring of fire, a pretty average week. Would be nice if it would stay that way all the time, but it won't. A fair percentage of the biggest quakes in the world occur in the places I've mentioned (excepting the mid-Pacific around Easter Island, where it's rare to have big ones). So, I guess there'll be another mag 7 or bigger somewhere around that piece of our planet during the next month or so. Could go a bit longer or there could be a couple close together. It's just averages. We usually get something like a dozen to 15 quakes in the mag 7 range each year worldwide, so that's the rough odds.

For an idea of what it all looks like, try the USGS Map of Latest Earthquakes in the World. It's clickable and lets you get details on most quakes within a few minutes of when they happen. There is plenty of good info there.

Best regards,

Mike

edit on 29/10/11 by JustMike because: added maps, fixed links

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:56 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Tibet is not the best place to move to. Gets awfully cold there. Pretty part of the world to visit, though.

But seriously, if you've experienced vertigo/dizziness in the past few days you are far from alone. Some threads have been started on this subject and several members have posted and reported similar symptoms.

You are not from the Pacific North-west, by any chance? Oregon or WA? Been some reports from there.

Mike

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

I'm in Maryland, enjoying the snow.
we were supposed to be taking our kid and some others to enjoy some outdoor Halloween festivities today and this evening but that has been cancelled due to the rain and snow. And my vertigo returned with a vengeance again today. I'm not sick, and my ears feel fine. I have just slight clogging in the sinuses but that is nothing unusual for me this time of year, and never seemed to have any correlation to these attacks of vertigo. I had vertigo very mild this morning and it has progressed to the point I'm staying seated as much as possible. So it is very much as it was yesterday. There have been times in the past my bouts of vertigo seemed to match up with either very large significant quakes or the smaller more local ones. I had a bout of vertigo and feeling very odd the night before the quake in Virginia. This one in Peru doesn't seem to fit the pattern for me personally. I don't know know if this time the vertigo means anything at all. If it persists of course I will see the doctor. Thank you for letting me know others are experiencing this, too. I'll try and find their posts. I do not normally get vertigo, at least not in the way my mother in law does. She gets bouts due to known medical issues. She is here visiting and says she feels fine, and that makes sense because her health problems are under control at the moment, thankfully.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 08:26 PM
link   
reply to post by SheeplFlavoredAgain

Maryland... That has always sounded like a lovely place to me. I just like the name.

Anyway, here's a couple of threads that could be of interest to you. (Btw, they were not started by me.):

Dating from Oct 22 onwards: Dizzy Feeling All Day Today..

and, in progress for over 3 1/2 years now, since May of 2008: An Experiment in Alternative Methods of Earthquake Prediction. That's the opening page, where the OP explains the philosophy behind the experiment and also gives some details of what is known "geosensology" -- the study of sensations to try and identify geologic activity.

The "Experiment" thread is quite long but if you wish to simply skip through to the most recent few pages you'll see various members posting certain symptoms. However if you have time to go through the thread, there is a great deal of useful, factual material there on fault systems and so on, and also some quite fascinating attempts at predictions: some successful, others not. (I have some in both categories there.)

Also, feel free to contact me any time. There are other threads I can refer you to if you'd like to read up on the scientific side of quakes and research into their predicition. In addition I can put you in touch with some other members who also are interested in the "human sense" aspect.

Best regards,

Mike

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 01:21 AM
link   
reply to post by missvicky

I deeply regret to inform you , but it was meant with full sarcasm, yes the earth moved as it does in all earthquakes, thus earth changing, this is one, the second was (not related) UK announced If Wills and Kate have a girl first, she'll be queen!www.cbc.ca... Commonwealth agrees historic change to give sex equality in Royal succession the third one UK say royal's can marry Catholics www.ewtnnews.com... so there you have it D4K earth changing events did not intend to disappoint you. now back to thread some were showing a 7 to a 7.2 for/ from the EQ news story's but no EQ sites anyone else see this?

edit on 30-10-2011 by bekod because: editting

edit on 30-10-2011 by bekod because: editting

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
I know this is the Fragile Earth thread and not a conspiracy thread but what is going on with all those shallow depth earthquakes?

I am reading a book just now called 'Behold A Pale Horse' by William Cooper. In the chapter I read last night Bill Cooper talks about the New World Order's manipulation of the Earth's fault lines around the world using HAARP to drive the population inland to control them. Now that sounds rather fantastic yes. But this book was written in the mid nineties and alot of the theories in this book seem to be really happening just now. There is also a documentary called 'Esoteric Agenda' made in 2005 that talks about the NWO's Agenda 21 plan that details the planned relocation of the population to the continent centres using man-made 'natural looking' disasters.

I read an article on this Peru earthquake that said the depth of the quake was 15 kilometres. There seem to be alot of earthquakes happening at that depth or pretty close to it.

Could it be possible that these earthquakes are man-made? That we really are seeing the Agenda 21 plan unfold? Or should I just sit in the corner with a tinfoil hat on?

What do u think?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   
reply to post by PuterMan

Puterman . . . have you seen this thread?

www.abovetopsecret.com...

What do you know about this and similar or other predictive research?

Which avenues of study of such things do you have the most respect for?

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:11 AM
link   
reply to post by Cerridwen

Not sure about the Pacific, that is a big area and I don't believe it would be relevant to cite earthquakes all around the ring of fire.

As regards Peru however this is not a unique event. Here is this list of quakes back to the 1970s for a radius of 200 km from the most recent epicentre. That includes the triple junction just off the coast there.

Year,Month,Day,Time(hhmmss.mm)UTC,Latitude,Longitude,Magnitude,Depth,Catalog
1976,01,05,023136.30,-13.288, -74.899,6.0, 95,PDE
1991,04,05,155047.32,-14.230, -75.511,6.3, 50,PDE
1992,05,16,205759.51,-13.672, -76.108,6.1, 56,PDE
1996,11,12,165944.03,-14.993, -75.675,7.7, 33,PDE
1996,11,13,024139.94,-14.843, -75.692,6.1, 33,PDE
1996,11,13,123209.82,-15.474, -75.414,6.0, 33,PDE
1997,02,09,123236.29,-14.486, -76.276,6.1, 33,PDE
2006,10,20,104856.01,-13.457, -76.677,6.7, 23,PDE
2006,10,26,225432.32,-13.371, -76.618,6.0, 28,PDE
2007,08,15,234057.89,-13.386, -76.603,8.0, 39,PDE
2007,08,16,051656.15,-14.282, -76.127,6.4, 23,PDE
2007,08,16,113541.79,-14.286, -76.214,6.0, 35,PDE
2007,08,18,025235.40,-13.805, -76.291,6.0, 30,PDE
2009,02,02,175321.80,-13.582, -76.558,6.0, 21,PDE
2010,05,23,224652.05,-13.928, -74.352,6.1,101,PDE-W

Source: NEIC Circular search

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
reply to post by bekod

Seriously!!!

You are grasping at straws here. NOTHING extraordinary happened on this day. You are just putting events that happened to a date. Things like this happen every day! This isn't something huge.

If I remember reading his threads, the something he talked about would have been EARTH changing. It was obviously something so big he packed up and left and I doubt he left for the little events you are giving him credit for predicting...

posted on Oct, 30 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by JustMike

Hi JustMike, thank you for the links. Maryland is a nice place to live. I would for my part like to see Prague someday. My husband has some great aunts and uncles who live there.

Regarding the other posts about whether or not this quake is man made, well I don't know about HAARP, but is there any drilling or fraccing going on down there in Peru?

I was shocked to learn even in as suburbanized a state as Maryland, we did have fraccing permitted in Western Maryland. I don't know if it was going on around the time we had the first 3 point something quake in July, 2010 but I can't help be a bit paranoid about fraccing and quakes after reading about what's going on in Arkansas. Fraccing is going on just about everywhere it seems. I think our Maryland governor did put at least a temporary stop to it here, but I can't find any current updates on Google.

Anyway if I were going to cast a stony eye of suspicion on potential man made causes of quakes I would look first for gas and oil drilling activities before a more speculative cause like HAARP until we have more concrete proof it could cause a quake. We have more solid evidence about the link between fraccing and quakes than HAARP and quakes, at least at present.

posted on Nov, 1 2011 @ 04:36 AM
link   
reply to post by OneisOne

Thank you!

top topics

<< 1   >>

join