It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Does abortion help you decide who to vote for

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 11:55 AM
link   
i didn't know this had turned into a discussion about the different types of abortion. ya know, i am so tired of seeing people with their graphic posters, portraying body parts and blood.....standing on public sidewalks. i monitor what my children see and it upsets me so much that i have to be careful where i drive so that my kids aren't exposed to these disgusting graphic displays by the same group of people that want to censor what every adult in america can hear or watch. maybe that should be a campaign issue. abortion should not be a presidential issue because at it's core, abortion is a religious issue..and religion has NO place in politics. separation of church and state. i'm still listening for either candidate to start discussing something with some validity, like will my social security be available when i'm ready to retire, or when my son reaches 5 are the public schools going to be good and safe enough to teach him.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:41 PM
link   
Does it concern anyone that there are at least one or two Supreme Court Justices that are about to retire or croak and guess who gets to choose their replacements and that would probably make it possible to destroy abortions in general if Bush chooses to do so with the help of his appointed justices and what does he care its not like we can elect him for a third term.

posted on Sep, 2 2004 @ 09:45 PM
link   
This is one of the best reasons why abortion should remain legal, as I said in my last post that I would put the "URL" in if I found anything on "Baby Chelsea - Iowa). I will add another one if I'm able to find the one I'm looking for.

Students at STC react to murder charge against classmate

Students who spoke out were in consensus that what had happened was terrible and didn't understand how a person could do this type of thing. Students believed that there were many other options...abortion, adoption, or that the baby could have been left at a church or some safe place.

www.tamatoledonews.com...

Here's a better article.

www.tamatoledonews.com...

[edit on 2-9-2004 by nanna_of_6]

[edit on 2-9-2004 by nanna_of_6]

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:50 AM
link   
I, too, am a female (52 years old), a devout Catholic, an Independent politically, and am opposed, personally, to abortion. With that said, I don't feel I should impose my religious beliefs upon the majority of the American people. The Supreme Court has ruled abortion constitutional and so shall it be.
NO WAY is the abortion issue what drives MY vote and never has. It's a single issue among a myriad of other major issues that also deal with peace, war, death,and human suffering.
I have never understood how people can be rabidly pro-life, yet uphold the death penalty. I guess my Catholicism does show on that issue.
What ARE the issues that interest me and influence my vote:
1. the economy..not just for my husband and myself but for our children and grandchildren and those down the line.
2. Security. We cannot live in fear forever. Nor, can we be involved in wars for decades. Almost 1000 young men and women have died in Iraq and they are almost forgotten, in a campaign, that is still debating Viet Nam.
3. This should be tied for # 1. HEALTH CARE!!!!. We are not rich, but we are very, very comfortable. But, because we are self-employed, we spend thousands a year for purely catostophic health insurance. The costs of my medications are always rising (yes, I've bought my drugs in Canada and Mexico). We live in fear of what could happen if we were to become sick. We also worry, constantly, about having our insurance not renewed. Because I had a pre-existing condtion (panic attacks lol...it would be truly hilarious if not so damn serious), I was turned down by 10 companies even though I am in good health and under treatment for panic disorder. I'm actually penalized, by the insurance companies, for seeking preventive care! That doesn't make a bit of sense!
4. The cost of fuel, food, etc is skyrocketing. Here, in Phoenix, we are paying 2.00 a gallon for gas. We worry about rising prices, inflation, the stock market, the bond market, the money market (yeah, I get "great returns" on my money market investments...NOT)
5. Lastly, something subjective..a return to a more optimistic tone in American life. Not to a utopia that never existed, but to a place where fear doesn't rule our every moment and flight..where we are not pitted against one another by race/religion/lifestyle. There is just so much rancor today. The Zell Miller speech last night really hit home and showed me how angry some have become and it scares me.
I'm sure I've left out some issues, but those are biggies...and of course the war in Iraq. Enough said.
joey

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 02:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by esther

I agree. It's the fact that anyone would insist on regulating my uterus that bothers me, especially a man who is not fathering any of my children.

The though of regulating you uterus!

Can't get over it sorry...

But seriously, I hear you.. it's your business and yours alone!

The real issue is the foetus having the right to pay taxes, join the army and die in a foreign country.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 03:54 AM
link   

Originally posted by Kaiser617
Does it concern anyone that there are at least one or two Supreme Court Justices that are about to retire or croak and guess who gets to choose their replacements and that would probably make it possible to destroy abortions in general if Bush chooses to do so with the help of his appointed justices and what does he care its not like we can elect him for a third term.

If Bush gets re-elected, Roe gets overturned. Period. That's what hardliner conservatives have been waiting for 30 years. The day they can outlaw abortion.

And then all hell breaks loose.

posted on Sep, 3 2004 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Do you think that having Roe overturned would have a future impact on the voting statistics of the future generations because I am seeing a lot of posts that show concern for many other areas of the country which we should because dang gas prices are up and we need electric cars and unfortunatly most oil companies have the patents to the electic cars Would most ATSers care if abortionwas made illegal or not or are you unbaised

<< 1   >>

join