It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Winter Storm Warning for Northeast, US

page: 1
<<   2  3 >>

join
share:

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:03 PM
link   
Now a 6-12 inch snowfall is nothing unusual for Philadelphia and NYC. What IS unsual is that it is occurring in October and is quite abnormal.

Philadelphia, Pa

First off, the average first measurable snow (0.1" or more) typically occurs around December 18.
The earliest measurable snow on record was 2.1" on October 10, 1979. This was also the last time Philadelphia received measurable snow in October.
Allentown, Pa.
The average first measurable snow falls on December 5.
Measurable snow has only fallen on 5 different days in October since 1922. The biggest single day snow in October was on Oct. 31, 1925 when 2.2" was recorded

Farther up the coast in Boston, the average first measurable snow occurs around November 30.

Boston saw its earliest measurable snow fall on October 10, 1979.
Measurable snow has been recorded in the city during October on four different occasions throughout history. Two of these occurrences were in the last decade with 0.1" falling on October 18, 2009 and 1.1" on October 29, 2005.

weather.com

Why are October storms a problem? Because the leaves are still on the trees, the air and ground is warm, making for some wet heavy snow, combine that with the leaves and you have a lot of downed trees. It is also going to be windy.

So enjoy meteorological enthusiasts.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:06 PM
link   
reply to post by nixie_nox

I hate snow. This is BULL. Its tooooooo early for snow. If its starting this early imagine what the rest of the season will be like
edit on 28/10/2011 by Britx because: (no reason given)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:13 PM
link   
reply to post by Britx

I live in west Virgina and it is way to early for this s now...We are suppose to get 3-5 inches of it..What i dont get is that our temps outside have been warm so im not really seeing this at all..The road temp is warm as well...We haven't even reach near freezing temps yet so im expecting it to maybe be a rain event..If we do get snow it would be the air temp and im not expecting much to stick except on the grass not the roads..Roads are to warm..I believe you have to have some time with freezing or below temps for the snow to stick on

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 02:17 PM
link   
i live in shenandoah valley VA, we are expecting snow aswell.

Also it should be call a fall storm warning!!!

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
reply to post by Britx

Pretty much mine and everyone else's sentiments are the same. Not something we are ready to deal with, I hope they have the salt and plows ready.

but the main concern is the tree damage, this snow is going to be wet, heavy, and will make everything slushy.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 06:55 PM
link   
Too damn soon for this, I still need to flush my radiator. Got off of work this morning and both the front doors of my taurus were completely frozen. Had to bash em open from the back seat.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:38 PM
link   
reply to post by dethduck

If the leaves haven't fallen off the trees yet, its too soon. Love the pic.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   

Interesting, disruptive, possibly infuriating.....

...but, ever hear of "Lake Storm Aphid" in 2006?

Yeah, Lake Effect, and not region-wide. Still, weather can be weird and unpredictable, historically. Going farther back in the record, might find more instances.

Just for NYC:

Graphical Climatology of New York Central Park - Daily Temperatures, Precipitation, and Snowfall (1876 - Present)

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 09:57 PM
link   

Glad I searched before posting

Is this not insane?

Looks like we both read the same article too - we haven't had a significant snowfall here in October in 32 years.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   
Came here with the same info Nixie-Nox. Only our third winter near Gettysburg, so had to go see how unusual it was. We're expecting 6-12" tonight. Don't think dear daughter's soccer game will go on tomorrow - but it would be interesting
. Thank goodness hubby agreed with me during the summer, so there's a nice 4 cords of firewood on our porch.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
Just pray that it doesn't end up like the october storm we had here in Buffalo a few years back. What a mess that was to clean up not to mention how weird all the trees looked after.

posted on Oct, 28 2011 @ 11:01 PM
link   
Oh no, this is too early for this!!!!! I have been putting off grocery shopping for some time. Hope I go before all this comes down on us!!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 01:33 AM
link   
im going to nyc on xmas a storm better not cancel my flight

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:34 AM
link   
It appears this is going to start happening shortly.. will watch progress.

Posting from NJ about 20~ minutes from philadelphia...

Also been noticing weird changes.. and 'predicted' a harsh and fast setting winter this year.. trees started turning in augest.. still well in our normal 'summer time'....granted im 22, and alot older and wiser people noticed this way before i did.. but if I can notice it.. can't you?

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 03:48 AM
link   
:\\

I saw a few snowflakes today BUT i live 15-17 hours north from PA. The season is strarting early and I fear another bad winter for the U.S. i mean, a snowstorm in october

I'm wondering how the occupiers will deal with the weather in the next months, I don't want to derail the discussion but I'm guessin we won't hear many drums or tam tam on OWS after this storm

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:06 AM
link   
I blame global warming!

.. it's all... sciency or something...

... the media tells me so.

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   
Reply to post by nixie_nox

This isn't newsworthy. Where's the conspiracy? I live in the Northeast and snow storms in Oct are nothing unusual.

At least snow would be a welcome change from all of the rainy days we've had.

Posted Via ATS Mobile: m.abovetopsecret.com

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
They've named it "Alfred", in deference to Alfred Hitchcock.

It's been a year of records in southern New England, January saw the most snow ever recorded in a month, July had the hottest day ever recorded here, Irene left us over 800,000 homes without power, the most ever, and now Alfred is the earliest nameable winter storm.

Plus, we're within striking distance of the most rainfall in a year!

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:18 AM
link   
reply to post by tjack

Its snowing out side here in martinsburg WV...Te trees are hanging very low as well...The street is slushy as well..Wasn't expecting anything to stick on the street..But was wrong...A winter wonder land..However i looked at the power lines and some branches are lying on the lines not good....

posted on Oct, 29 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I just saw this on CNN about 30 minutes ago. Agreed with y'all, way too early for snow. It's not even Halloween yet! Hopefully it will be a miss and not a mess. I'm just not ready for cold weather, but unfortunately, the weather gods haven't asked for my opinion.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3 >>

join